Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake problem???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Intake problem???

I just broke the front passenger side bolt off on my intake. There is still theads inside the intake holding it to the heads. Will it be ok to drive around like this Or should I get it fixed soon?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

well if the bolt protrudes out of the head then you could take the intake off and use a pair of visegrips to get the bolt out. As for driving it as is depends if it leaks or not if it does then you stand to have that cylinder be lean which can lead to bad things
Old 07-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

I dont hear any leaks, But the oil gauge is not working and the check gauge light is on. Can some1 help me quick????
Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Personally, I would not run it like that. Those bolts are all torqued to spec and if you broke off the head on that front bolt, there is no torque on that corner of the intake. Could cause warpage or a leak. There are no threads actually in the intake, the bolt doesn't start threading until it hits the head so I would think there is nothing holding down that corner except pressure from the adjacent bolts. Unfortunately I think you're going to have to pull the intake and unscrew that bolt. Thunder Racing carries ARP intake bolts for replacements and they are relatively cheap for ARP.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the oil pressure gauge isn't working, you probably snapped it off reinstalling the intake. Do a search for "oil pressure sending unit" - they're relatively easy to break off, and it's quite common when swapping intakes. The intake will have to come off anyway to fix it, so you'll be able to pull the broken bolt and put a new one in there.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

wouldnt oil be dripping out if it was broke off???
Old 07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No it is plastic the threaded part the goes into the block is metal..you broke it when you did the install or removal the manifold...you have to put the intake in without banging on the oil pressure sending unit...get some rubber bands and hook them around the five intake bolts to hold them up out of the way so they don't catch on anything when you are placing the intake into position or removing the intake..they are avaluable tool when doing an intake...

PS go to www.LS1howto.com or www.InstallUniversity.com for info on most of the installs for LSx engines
Old 07-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

SO i just need a new oil pressure sending unit? Can I get 1 at Advanced or somewhere like that? Is there no chance the sensor is just unplugged?
Old 07-01-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get one at any Chevy or Pontiac dealer I do not think that there is a after market part for it..they are not expensive less than $30...
Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Actually, all parts stores that I called carried it, but it would be at least a 2-3 day lead time and I didn't want to wait that long. Their prices, $32. Dealer charged me $35, didn't have it in stock when I called at 8am, but he called me at 9:30am to let me know it was waiting for me already
Old 07-01-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

a good delaer will call another one that has it and get it for you right away..just be cool when you put the intake on..you can't lift up the front or you will get into the OPS and break it..
Old 07-01-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

I got my oil pressure sending unit from advance auto and they had it in stock. I think it was about 30 bucks. The gm dealer told me it was 75. Be cafeful installing the intake I pinched my pcv line under the intake and had to pull it back up to fix it.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

When I changed intakes all smog crap (egr & air) and pvc crap got thrown away..dead weigth..not to mention lots of clutter under the hood..get a LS6 valley cover and run the LS6 pvc..gets ride of all that tubing
Old 07-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

about to go to advance auto and order 1 be here 2morrow $35. dealship said $53 Im not gonna worry about it till tomorrow. Damn i kinda wish Id just took it somewhere and let them do it now. Damn sure dont wanna pull that SOB of again. My hands look like I juggle razor blades for fun. I guess I will try to get new intake bolts too and try to get the 1 I broke off out hopefully I can get it with visegrip pliers. Any body wanna give some good advice so I dont F something up again.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those little plastic things that have been scratching the hell out of your hands and arms cam be pulled up and out of the way..that is the first thing you do when your going to work backup under the cowl on a F body car...you should be able to get the intake off and back on in a very short time since you have done it already...go to ls1howto.com and read the intake install info..there are photos too..between that and the advise you have already been given in this post you should be good to go...just pull up on the center of those plastic fasteners and get them out of the way and you won't shed anymore blood..nothing to it man... ..you know how to do it now..go for it..no use in spending any money when you don't have to.. I think that I gave about $27- $28 for mine but I work at a chevy dealer and got employee price.. I don't know how you broke off one of those bolts..they onjy need about 7 or 8 ft pounds to tighten them..be EZ on them..you do not need any new bolts except the one you broke off..
Old 07-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Do I need a special socket or tool to get that oil sending unit off? about to pull the intake and wait for the part to get here.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Just to make things alittle worse the bolt is broke off in the head cant get no visegrips on it. What do you guys think i should do should I just put the intake back on or should I try to find a reversable drill bit or an easy out. Dont know if I really trust myself 2 drill the bolt out.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Center punch the broke off bolt

Get center punch and a hammer and tap the center of the broke off bolt. This will give you a starting point with your drill. you may have to get out your dremal and flatten off the bolt. That will keep you from drilling into an uneven surface. Start with a small drill bit and make sure you drill stright up and down, no angle if you can help it. Getting a center punch to hit the exact center is not an easy thing to do. I always end up just a little off center, but it has never been a problem. Get your easy out set (cheep little red box with all the bit and easy outs you should need...Walmart). Just go slow and let it happen. I you cant get it, STOP.
Good luck, you can do it.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

thanks man I got the center punch and a little ping hammer gonna try it tomorrow. Still trying to find a reversable drill bit but nobody seems to have them. So il prob do the easy out tomorrow and if I mess it up Il just put the intake off and if it leaks screw it il upgrade my heads maybe patriot or eldebrock heads.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Default Be advised

The trick your talking about is very risky!! you might snap a drill bit off in the bolt and that is it. You will be taking the head off of your car!!! What they are saying about drill bit is probably to drill a hole/ take the next size up drill bit and hammer it into the drilled out hole. Then go in reverse and hope it grabs enough to pull the bolt out. Please use caustion if you do this!! Good luck.