Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will this flow ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will this flow ok?

ok, i've given up on the junk rattling corsa muffler since they won't even sell me a replacement. since i still have good 3 inch stainless piping and i love the tips, i came came up with an idea to eliminate the muffler all together and just put a sweet thunder or other bullet type muffler in the i pipe. here's a pic i threw together to show what i wanna do. with it meeting at a T it would probably flow like crap i'd imagine. if i tack weld a "v" inside the cross pipe where the 2 pipes meet, i'm hoping it'll get the gases flowing where they need to go a little better than just hitting a T.
i went ahead and got all of the measurements and bought the straight pipe and elbow in aluminized steel so that if it sucks, i didn't spend a bunch of money on stainless. if it works good, i'll redo it in sometime in the future in stainless.
with it set up with this, do ya think the exhaust will flow ok? or is it going to choke the car? i can't see it being much worse flowing than the inside of a muffler because it still has to make the same direction changes
Attached Thumbnails will this flow ok?-newpipe.jpg  
Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No way I would do that but thats just me. Since you have stainless pipes I would just get a stainless Magnaflow replacement muffler like the Corsa and go with that.

I dont understand all the problems I have been seeing with Corsa lately.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
No way I would do that but thats just me. Since you have stainless pipes I would just get a stainless Magnaflow replacement muffler like the Corsa and go with that.

I dont understand all the problems I have been seeing with Corsa lately.

i was going to get a magnaflow, but i think the biggest they make is 3 inch inlet and 2 1/2 outlets so the tailpipes won't fit without some screwing around and trying to make up for half an inch.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what size is the inlets and outlets of the corsa? i thought it was 3" in and 2.5" out
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

3 inch in, 3 inch out. double checked them with a dial caliper before i bought the piping to make sure.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

anyone have opinions?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

I used to have something like the system you described. except I had mine split after the I pipes goes over the axle right there where it makes the bend towards the drivers side to go into the muffler. I cut a hole in the pipe right in the middle of the bend and the cut my the end of a piece of pipe at a 45 degree angle it took a little bit of fitment and bendinf to get it come out where the tips would look spaced right.then welded it to the hole I cut and welded my tip on. basically it looks like a Loudmouth or borla.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see what you were thinking, but that design would totally kill flow. This is because you are dead heading all the flow into the cross pipe (even with a v shaped splitter at the Tee, it would still be bad).

I've edited the image to represent what I had a muffler shop do for me when I had the dynomouth, to get rid of the stock muffler. the Y is just after the exhaust comes back down over the axle:
Attached Thumbnails will this flow ok?-newpipe2.jpg  
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it! The little V kicker is a good idea too. Placing it right after where the tie-in pipe meets would not not restrict flow too bad and help divert some sound to the other pipe so you don't have the Borla effect going on.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I've had that same setup on my 2 other LS1s. However, we made two 90-degree bends and joined them together. Basically like you have drawn, but with a smooth "Y" in the middle. I actually got lots of compliments b/c it sounded different than everybody elses exhausts.