Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is getting quieter and quieter, is something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is getting quieter and quieter, is something wrong?

Ok heres the situation, I put a loudmouth and maaannnnn was it loud comparison to my 1st setup, a spintech splitcase. I took the car back to the paint shop because of a poor overpriced paintjob and they seemed pissed because I showed them I wasnt happy and when I got my car back it seemed alot quieter and had a different sound too. Im curious if sticking something in the intake to mess with my car can cause this because it seemed like the rubber rim to my lid was out of place. As days pased since then it seemed to get a little quieter. I recently added shorty headers and it made it even louder than when I first got the lm. The next day it got very quiet now it seems even quieter and quieter, to the point its even quieter than the spintechs. Anyone know why? This is not in my imagination because I have someone else that can confirm this. The lm is only less than a month old. Someone please help, I dont know if theres something wrong with my car

Last edited by NorthernCali; 07-15-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

if you had ne thing sucked up in your intake you'd have a few more noticeable problems than just your exhaust seeming quieter..
Old 07-15-2006, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I notice the hotter it gets the quieter my exhaust gets. Did you put the LM on when it was cooler?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Maybe you are losing your hearing...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might just be getting used to it......
Old 07-15-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

have you noticed a difference power wise ?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe they put a potatoes in your tail pipes lol
Old 07-15-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
you might just be getting used to it......
Agreed... I noticed the same thing when I put my 1 chambered duals on... U just get use to it after a couple days, but other people who haven't heard it think it's loud as hell.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GET_SOM
if you had ne thing sucked up in your intake you'd have a few more noticeable problems than just your exhaust seeming quieter..
What kind of noticable problems? The idle seems to be the same, I hear a now noticable ticking noise from the hood but when you get closer it seems like the parts doing its work that makes it sound like ticking from a further distance. There seems to be no power loss after the paintjob being fixed, but after the shortys the shifts and acceleration seem to go smoother. Sometimes it feels slower, im sure the weather takes its toll but you never know, some days the car just runs slower, some days it runs faster

Last edited by NorthernCali; 07-15-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Teching In

ttt...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Board Certified Idiot

TO RICH or To Poor I allways Say.. And i do Mean Fuel
Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

try pulling your plugs and checking them. If something was put in ur intake like paint or something there might be residue on your plugs. Usually white powdery substances on the plug means a additive. If something was put in your intake i think you would have mechanical problems now, if it was a spray such as paint or clearcoat then if you have cats they might be clogged. Thats would make the exhaust quieter due to the restriction and slower due to added backpressure.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigDB
try pulling your plugs and checking them. If something was put in ur intake like paint or something there might be residue on your plugs. Usually white powdery substances on the plug means a additive. If something was put in your intake i think you would have mechanical problems now, if it was a spray such as paint or clearcoat then if you have cats they might be clogged. Thats would make the exhaust quieter due to the restriction and slower due to added backpressure.
thanks this was a very helpful post, I will check into this.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Teching In

I found out I have a few fouled plugs and will probably do seafoam but I don't know if its safe considering my situation. Anyone know or have any ideas before the spark plug change? Im really trying to rush things, I havnt been driving around in the car for a few days now.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would deffinatly change the plugs. Seafoam iv used before (just not on my LS1 yet) I really think its the plugs who are to blame. My car runs colder plugs since its setup for N2O so they fould faster when not on the spray and it has gotten quieter. Change the plugs first, I dont know if you have cats but if you do and they are clogged the housing will glow a bit from heat buildup. Id run the car a lil hard and check them at night so you could see the glow. hope you get your problrm fixed
Old 07-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Teching In

thanks bigdb, i knew forsure it was fouled plugs after reading post #12 it just came to me. me and a guy i know changed it today and found out every single plug had what looked like burnt engine oil over the ground electrode area or was just burnt to a certain extent and 1 of them had cracked in the plastic area. I figured out that ticking noise was probably because of a possible spark plug wire gone bad so that ticking noise that everyone complains about might be a spark plug wire not seated correctly. my engine compartment sounds alot quieter now. After replacing them the drone just hurts my ears accelerating on the freeway. The thing that bothers me is why my check engine light didnt go off and also why I dont feel much of a differance in performance with the fouled plugs.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have the engine light scanned and see what it brings up.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
Maybe you are losing your hearing...
loud mouth getting quite never heard if such a thing
Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im currently having the same problem with mine. Im hoping its just a clogged cat b.c Im planning on removing it when I throw my cut-out in.I notice it more on hotter days. I KNOW Im not imagining this either.

My LM doesnt sound nearly as raspy with my LTs as it usually does. On a cold start (well as cold as it will get in 90* weather) it doesnt sound raspy AT ALL and it SHOULD be. Any more ideas?