Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration with true duals / Not liking the exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Vibration with true duals / Not liking the exhaust note

Question #1 Vibration with true duals

never had this vibration when i was stock. Now that i have true duals with 3" piping it vibrates. It does it when lets say you are cruising at 40 mph in 3rd gear and you let off the gas, the exhaust winds down, and at the same time makes a different noise and vibrates the whole entire car. Now i am thinking that it has to do with the fact that i ahve 3" piping and also that at differnt RPMs the exhaust note changes so it would be at different frequencies??? What can be doing this vibrations?? Why at different when you let off the gas this happens??

Not liking the exhaust note

Now that i have true duals, i did a lot of research. I went with 3" piping off the stock manifolds, to a Magnaflow 3" O/R X Pipe to more 3" piping to the under the axel to the rear of the car where it went into 2.5" MagnaFlow MagnaPacks mufflers which are attached to the tips.

i know the rule of thumb, H = Deep, bassy muscel car sound. X = Exotic, Racey, high pitch sound. just an FYI i had a Mustang GT <---- This will come into play. So my exhaust now sounds like my mustang at 1 time. sounds like an h pipe with flowmasters dumped.. I HATE THAT SOUND. i chaged that to BBK LTs + BBK O/R H Pipe + MagnaPack C/B (same mufflers i am running on the TA RIGHT NOW) this is a bassy deep set up. the point i am making is on start up right now it is nice and bassy, deep. cruising it chagnes from being deep, high pitched. at WOT is sounds like my mustang with dumped flowmaster.. WTF

Here is what the TA sounds like

so now i am thiking of swapping the X for an H?? or should i change the mufflers?? remember the mufflers are at the very back of the car attached to the tips.

I need some opinions and help...

Thanks.. sorry for being so long!!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Trunion King

If you're going to keep changing your set up, you're going to waste ALOT of money. I'd say save up and get a pair of LTs to add up w/ your TDs system and hear the different note that'll add from the LTs.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
i know the rule of thumb, H = Deep, bassy muscel car sound. X = Exotic, Racey, high pitch sound. just an FYI i had a Mustang GT <---- This will come into play. So my exhaust now sounds like my mustang at 1 time. sounds like an h pipe with flowmasters dumped.. I HATE THAT SOUND. i chaged that to BBK LTs + BBK O/R H Pipe + MagnaPack C/B (same mufflers i am running on the TA RIGHT NOW) this is a bassy deep set up. the point i am making is on start up right now it is nice and bassy, deep. cruising it chagnes from being deep, high pitched. at WOT is sounds like my mustang with dumped flowmaster.. WTF
You need to re-write that. I have no idea what you just said.

1) What kind of sound do you have? A deep, bassy one, or the racey exotic one?

2) What kind of sound do you hate, the deep one or the exotic one?

3) Which setup on your mustang was deep and which was exotic?

4) You should know that LT's change everything about how a car sounds. If you're going to do LT's on the car, then do them first before you jump to any conclusions about how your car is going to sound.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bene
If you're going to keep changing your set up, you're going to waste ALOT of money. I'd say save up and get a pair of LTs to add up w/ your TDs system and hear the different note that'll add from the LTs.

yea that is what i have been told to get LTs.. so that is next
Old 07-22-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black_knight
You need to re-write that. I have no idea what you just said.

1) What kind of sound do you have? A deep, bassy one, or the racey exotic one?

2) What kind of sound do you hate, the deep one or the exotic one?

3) Which setup on your mustang was deep and which was exotic?

4) You should know that LT's change everything about how a car sounds. If you're going to do LT's on the car, then do them first before you jump to any conclusions about how your car is going to sound.

i will clairfy.

1) at idle it is deep and bassy, sound great. But at WOT it is exotic sounding, high pithced

2) i hate the exotic high pitched sound.. I LIKE DEEP AND BASSY!!

3) The BBK LTs + BBK O/R H Pipe + MagnaPack C/B = deep, bassy very musclar sounding the exotic sound that i have on my ta sounded like my mustang with an h pipe with flowmster that were dumped.. ME NO LIKEY!!

4) I will do LTs
Old 07-22-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long tubes will completely change the sound of the exhaust. Your car will sound like an old school cehvy while cruising, and scream like an exotic up top.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, definitely long tubes will help.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigman
Long tubes will completely change the sound of the exhaust. Your car will sound like an old school cehvy while cruising, and scream like an exotic up top.
i want to sound like old school.. DO NOT WANT EXOTIC!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

You won't get an LS1 to sound completely old school; but, a lot of guys have said they come close with a cam, LTs, and single-chamber Flowmasters. I'm about to leap the fence to get the aforementioned setup.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, it sounds ricer.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Launching!

I'll go out and record my car to give you an idea. In fact, we just had an exhaust (idle/lope) competition that I recorded (for F-body Beach Week), so as soon as I figure out how the hell to get DVD-Cam vid on to the pc, I'll link it all for you.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Torched, put the LT's on and im sure you'll have a better apreciation for the setup you have.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TD's without LT's? No wonder it sounds like ***. Get the LT's, install some Sweet Thunders and you'll begin to love your exhaust.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Joker
TD's without LT's? No wonder it sounds like ***. Get the LT's, install some Sweet Thunders and you'll begin to love your exhaust.
don't follow this advice ^^^

get LT's before you change your mufflers. you may like the sound. no use throwing in another $120 or however much 2 ST's cost. FWIW, i don't like the sound of ST's. too raspy. you may not either.

not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but if you didn't want exotic, why did you go X pipe? it's mentioned frequenty that if you want racey and exotic, go X and if you want deep and muscular go H. you shoulda went H from the get-go
Old 07-23-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
You won't get an LS1 to sound completely old school; but, a lot of guys have said they come close with a cam, LTs, and single-chamber Flowmasters. I'm about to leap the fence to get the aforementioned setup.

no flowmaster they choke HP
Old 07-23-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastlt1
Sorry, it sounds ricer.

Originally Posted by DRSITES
I'll go out and record my car to give you an idea. In fact, we just had an exhaust (idle/lope) competition that I recorded (for F-body Beach Week), so as soon as I figure out how the hell to get DVD-Cam vid on to the pc, I'll link it all for you.

yes please get it hosted i want to hear.. what is the set up again???
Old 07-23-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have TD's with stock manifolds and i love the way it sounds i get sompliments everywhere i go, someone mentions it at least twice a day. and i know that vibration your talking about, right at 1500 rpms the side of the t top holder thing rattles on the spare tire side.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
don't follow this advice ^^^

get LT's before you change your mufflers. you may like the sound. no use throwing in another $120 or however much 2 ST's cost. FWIW, i don't like the sound of ST's. too raspy. you may not either.

not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but if you didn't want exotic, why did you go X pipe? it's mentioned frequenty that if you want racey and exotic, go X and if you want deep and muscular go H. you shoulda went H from the get-go

yes i know that i need to get LTs that is next on the list...

and as far as the X Vs H the pnly set ups i heard were with x Pipes. no one had an h pipe.. I liked the sound of some of the x set ups.. So yea i should of listened to my self and got the H.. But i wonder if it has anything to do with where i put the mufflers??? i put them at the rear of the car attached to the tips.. really on place it would fit.. any idea??
Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s1ck s0n
i have TD's with stock manifolds and i love the way it sounds i get sompliments everywhere i go, someone mentions it at least twice a day. and i know that vibration your talking about, right at 1500 rpms the side of the t top holder thing rattles on the spare tire side.

what system you running??? X or H?? Mufflers?? and where did you put them at?? Got any pics???? Sound clips???
Old 07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Was your mustang a 5.0 or 4.6? The 4.6's have a ricer sound too.

Quick Reply: Vibration with true duals / Not liking the exhaust note