Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIll these mods be daily driveable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIll these mods be daily driveable?

I'm looking at buying a C5 corvette, and I found one that comes with a few mods. Does this list of mods sound like it will be mild/reliable enough for a daily driver?

Patriot Performance LS1 5.3 Stage II heads, Milled .010 65cc
Comp Cam 228-222 on a 114.5 LSA
BBK Shorty Headers
Varaam 2B
3:42 Diff
NKG Plugs
Zo6 TI Exhaust
ZO6 Chrome Wheels
Bilstein Sport Chocks
LS6 Intake
Double Roller Timing Chain
Ported oil Pump
Catch Can

I have to do a lot of driving in stoplight infested roads, so I don't really need a car that will lope like hell and overheat & whatnot.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell yes that's a nice little D.D.
Hawk
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

I would daily drive it. But that does'nt mean you would. It's a personal thing. It will lope some (that's not a huge cam) and it probably has a stiff clutch, if you're OK with that, go for it.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Traitor
I would daily drive it. But that does'nt mean you would. It's a personal thing. It will lope some (that's not a huge cam) and it probably has a stiff clutch, if you're OK with that, go for it.

What i consider DD my friends wouldnt touch, and what some guys on here would consider dd i wouldnt touch. it depends on what you like. if you like pushing in a stage 2 or 3 clutch at least 200+ times a day going through stop and go and trying to finess a cammed car (although not big) then go for it man, most poeople in todays age with gas being the way it is dont think these cars stock are good dd's so i say if your ready go for it...you can always get used to it.....
Old 07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you could daily drive it, but i also agree with what the poster above me said.

if you wanted it to remain a great daily driver, i'd do my heads and skip the cam. cams kill your mileage, make it harder to drive and make it lope. heads only, with a proper tune and stock compression, can actually boost your mpg if you keep your foot out of it since your engine will flow better and require less effort and rpms to get the car going. it'll also be more efficient when crusing. just my $.02
Old 07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Launching!

The car is actually for my wife. She wants a vette, and I want something fast. It will be driven just a few miles a day to the local university. The car is an auto trans, so I don't have to worry about clutchwork.

My turbo camaro is just beyond my threshold for a DD. Cammed v6's make 0 torque below 3000rpm, so I have to rev it up to at least 2000rpm to get it to move. It has no AC, it constantly breaks, and when I sit at really long traffic lights, the cam lope turns into a surge.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you have a very bad tune on that V6, if any tune at all

if you do put the cam in the car, i'd get a big stall with it to balance out the cam. if you stick a 3600-4000 stall into it, it will feel more stock-like. the added push of a cam on a stock converter should make it very hard to drive in the city as you'll be pushing the brakes to the floor just to keep it from moving in traffic.

i'd still skip the cam. do your heads, headers, underdrive pulley and electric water pump. you'll be getting 30mpg highway and retain stock driveablity.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Launching!

The v6 is just a pain in my ***, nuff said.

THe corvette I'm looking at already has all the mods I listed above. I wound't mind putting a stall in it though.

How would the cam make it so much harder to drive in the city? Would it really make that much more torque at 700rpm? Or is it because the decrease in vacuum would decrease brake effectiveness?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Are you sure it does'nt already have a converter? I don't think many people put a cam in an auto car without a converter...does'nt make sense to me.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Should be a real fun DD! No clutch = no worries. Should be pretty smooth.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Launching!

You'd think it has one, but it wasn't listed in the mod list. I wish the guy would email me back, so I could find out the true story on the car.

I mainly just wanted to find out if it would still pull vacuum at idle, and be DDable to a reasonable LS1tech member.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Figure out the converter first. If it does not have one, plan on getting one right away. It will probably drive OK, but will be much better with a converter. That would make me a little nervous if it did'nt have one, that's strange to have a cam and no converter.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Launching!

I'm searching through a bunch of the sellers old posts on corvettforum.com. It looks like he does have a converter of sorts. He also mentioned that He posts over on this board, to get real answers and tech advice. I'll have to look him up here.
freemanjc is his name on corvette forum.