Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes? ("H" looking hardlines under intake mani)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant pipes? ("H" looking hardlines under intake mani)

Refering to the hard lines in this picture:

What is their function? I thought a saw a picture of a car with those completly blocked off, i may be wrong. Reason i ask is, i have the FAST 90 intake mani which doesnt allow for clearance with the hard coolant lines in place. Sooo my questions are:

1. what are they for?
2. Can they be eliminated?

Thanks to all that help!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:09 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want to get the LS6 version. That was what you saw that was blocked off looking. The LS1 style you have to flatten with a dead blow hammer and even then you might have a vac problem just from not seating properly.

PS:
Are you cold or something? If that is even you in the picture.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

nah, thats a generic pic from ls1howto.com

Instead of the mad rigging pictured above, could i cut off the middle tube and weld up the holes on the side tubes? Again, what purpose do these things serve? I know the front feeds coolant to the TB , which has been eliminated. thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They also bleed the air from the top ot the motor back to the radiator.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
Instead of the mad rigging pictured above, could i cut off the middle tube and weld up the holes on the side tubes? Again, what purpose do these things serve? I know the front feeds coolant to the TB , which has been eliminated. thanks
I cut and welded a set on a friends car this weekend. I'll post pics when I get home.

The purpose is to vent air on fillup and to vent steam should any build in the system. There's some debate as to why it flows through the TB, but removing it does no harm.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I cut and welded a set on a friends car this weekend. I'll post pics when I get home.

The purpose is to vent air on fillup and to vent steam should any build in the system. There's some debate as to why it flows through the TB, but removing it does no harm.
Thats what i thought its purpose was initially, to trap air bubbles and ETC. Did you use a MIG welder or TIG? what rod did you use if TIG? Im going to weld mine up today so i can be done with this BS. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 AM
That's what she said...

I snip'd them off with a pair of 9" Klein pliers, then crushed the end shut with the end of the pliers, then I mig welded the seam with a flux core welder. It took some finesse.

It actually came out really nice. I left about 3/4" on the rear ones (plugs), then I bent the little stubs down after I installed them. I also bent the front tube down as well, even though I probably didn't have to. This method worked VERY well and was free. I'm sure you could figure out a way to do this without using a welding machine too.

The front pipe looks like it would actually work better than a stock 01+ tube that most people put on. I had a problem with my 01+ tube hitting under the throttle body on the FAST 90, so I had to bend the hell out of it.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
This method worked VERY well and was free. I'm sure you could figure out a way to do this without using a welding machine too.
JB WELD!!!

haha nah, im about to weld em up right now! Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:50 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
JB WELD!!!

haha nah, im about to weld em up right now! Thanks again!
HELL YEAH! /dr. dre

I have JB Weld holding my coolant temp sensor plug together right now, been on there going on 2 years.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG! Too funny! We have an 89 Camaro and get this: the bottom of the block cracked and water was spewing out: we used JB Weld on it and it has held up for many months!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:35 PM
That's what she said...

Sheee-it. I saw the oil pan on a $50k world-of-outlaws sprint car motor JB welded. 850hp 410" methanol injected N/A SBC.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's crazy! Hey man, we took the ENTIRE 90/90 off and re-installed it because it was not making a good seal cause of the LS1 coolant pipes underneath. The "girl" runs like a charm now. We went to the dealer and bought the LS6 set-up coolant pipes and they work great, because they are only on the back and front of the manifold. I am going to get the part #'s tonight and I really think they should make a sticky with the part #'s if they already have not. I am taken her to the track tonight and she will probably run like a charm! Thanks for your help!!