Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust set-up questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust set-up questions?

Right now the car has stock headers, slp hiflows, and the borla 3" adjustable cat-back with all the plates taken out. What i'm wanting to do, it make it true dual, delete the cats, and cut-off the exhaust right behind the mufflers. What would I do as far as the 02's? And would I need a tune if i did this??

I'd like to stay with the borla sound except for maybe bullet mufflers. Could anyone spare some advice and maybe give an over-all price on all of this?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man your car is slammed
Old 08-05-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few options out there for true duals that run from long tube headers to an X pipe to 2 bullet type mufflers and then dumps both in front of the rear axle. I would recommend getting Long tube headers if you want to get true duals just to get the most out of the setup. Check Texas Speed (one of the sponsors) for their pre-made true dual setup for $410 and some Pacesetter coated LT headers for $375. Other than that you will be getting rid of your rear O2 sensors so you need O2 simms for the rear to get rid of your check engine light. Otherwise you can get a tune and have the rear O2's deleted out. Also, you will need O2 extensions for the fronts since the headers move the O2's further away from the wiring harness.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

oh and bassani makes a true dual system that bolts up to your stock manifolds if you want to go that route...look at Vinci High Performance (they sell them)
Old 08-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Launching!

So lets say I did the texas speed rumbler x-true duals with the dynamax mufflers & pacesetter ceramic coated headers, is there a must need for 02's ? Could just take it to tune shop and get them to delete it? Or is that bad for the car? Must I get the car tuned after putting that exhaust set-up on there? Anyone have sound clips of this set-up??

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 08-05-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

do a search for soundclips...I think the site might be ls1sounds.com but I'm not for sure. One thing to remember is that audio clips don't do a setup justice (better to hear it in person). As for the O2's: you need the front 2 but the rear 2 can be deleted or simulated (they just tell your computer whether or not the cats are working). If you get rid of the front O2 sensors your car will be in open loop forever and you definitely want custom tuning w/ a wideband O2 sensor if you go this route. Much easier for you to keep the front O2's and buy O2 extension wires.
edit: as for needing to get it tuned, you will pick up a little power getting a new tune plus they can delete the rear O2's out of the PCM to prevent a check engine light but honestly it's not worth a dyno tune ($500 just for headers and exhaust). If you do a mail-order tune for like $200 it's a better deal but it's not necessary.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Appreciate the help, good advice, where can I get ahold of some of the 02 extensions? Is texas Speed the best as far as pricing that is known? Thanks all.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99TA
oh and bassani makes a true dual system that bolts up to your stock manifolds if you want to go that route...look at Vinci High Performance (they sell them)
it bolts to the factory cats. not to the manifolds directly.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Eh Well I'm planning on just running no cats . Headers, and the texas rumbler true duals w/ dynamax mufflers and having them dumped. Working on a nice sound for when I can get a cam in their also