Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y-pipe bump stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y-pipe bump stop

I was wondering if the y-pipe bump stop from Thunder racing actually worked, and how well it worked. I need something to keep the y-pipe from hitting the chassis. also, do I need only one or should I get two (one for both sides).

Just fyi, with the current setup (PS LT's, TSP catted y) there are some places where there may be only 0.25" or less clearance between the y and the chassis. Would this bump stop limit deflections to that degree/ will it even help me in my situation?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive heard of people using heater hose.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tylerz28ss
I was wondering if the y-pipe bump stop from Thunder racing actually worked, and how well it worked. I need something to keep the y-pipe from hitting the chassis. also, do I need only one or should I get two (one for both sides).

Just fyi, with the current setup (PS LT's, TSP catted y) there are some places where there may be only 0.25" or less clearance between the y and the chassis. Would this bump stop limit deflections to that degree/ will it even help me in my situation?

Ya, I used the bumpstop, and it works prety well...still a bit of vibration everyonce in a while, but, a must. I got mine at Thunder Racing, but I think I also saw one at AutoZone a few days ago. Both work fine I'm sure.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think there are a lot of people here who saved a lot of money using cheap parts with great results. just search for y-pipe, there are like a thousand threads about it...
Old 08-05-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I shoved a rolled up piece of header wrap in there and put a large hose clamp on it. Works perfect. I know another member has done this and that's where I got the idea.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

well, right now I have two door springs and some hose clamps.

I was thinking that I would clamp the spring to the pipe and put a rubber gromet on the top where the spring meets the chassis so that any vibrations wouldn't be transmitted.

I just don't know if the spring rate on the door spring is enough to limit the deflections to the extent that I need.

How much heat do you believe the hose clamp can handle? I've never used one on exhaust parts.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Years ago people used to even weld a valvespring in-between.

After 4 exhaust systems, nothing beats poly motor mounts for getting rid of exhaust banging. My $.02.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost bought one when I installed my headers, but i'm glad I didn't I haven't had any problems at all and were talking about Flowtech LT's, Flowtech Y, and a 98 with 122k on it and the original motor mounts. I guess I got a bastard set because they get bashed all the time by others and they fit perfect.

You could get one if your having a problem, but i'm sure you get make one alot cheaper
Old 08-06-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

It solved my problem. Took some doing though. We did flatten my Y pipe a little bit for a little extra room, mind you I have Stainless Works Headers and Y, and the Y is only 2.5" instead of 3. We also had to cut the Y bumpstop apart and turn it around a reweld it because, as you can see in one of the pictures, the O2 bung was in the way.

No problems ever since...and my car is cammed with a pretty lopey idle and a cutout.

Manny

Quick Reply: y-pipe bump stop