Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Coolant warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Coolant warning

But the level is fine and the temp gauge is fine too. Is it a bad low coolant sensor? Will resetting the ECM help?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes they just go bad. You can try taking it out and cleaning it, replace it with a new one, or just unplug it to keep the light off. My car doesn't have one, think they took them off our cars in 2K?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea....I unpluged mine. No light ever again.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Well after days of it being on it just went off. Maybe it does need a cleaning or something. Thanks guys.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
yea....I unpluged mine. No light ever again.

thats bad... my low coolant light came on the other day... didnt think anything of it because it went off eventually... today I checked the coolant, by opening the radiator cap... wow.. I was way low..

turns out I had a small coolant leak on coming from the rear block offs when I did the LS6 install...

If I had disabled that sensor, I would have never have known it. Replace the sensor, dont unplug it. they are there for a reason.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

I was wondering the same thing. As soon as the car warms up, the light comes on, but the coolant level's fine.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

are you checking it on the coolant overflow dipstick or are you opening up the radiator cap and checking there?

check both (when the cap is NOT hot) and see whats up.. if both are fine.. then replace the sensor
Old 08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
are you checking it on the coolant overflow dipstick or are you opening up the radiator cap and checking there?

check both (when the cap is NOT hot) and see whats up.. if both are fine.. then replace the sensor
Both. The levels are good.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just unplug the damn sensor. Those things are so fucked up that GM stopped installing them in the later year LSx's.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSTowerman
But the level is fine and the temp gauge is fine too. Is it a bad low coolant sensor? Will resetting the ECM help?

Thanks
Also, your temp gauge is a POS unless you've added an aftermarket temp. gauge. The stocker isn't even close most of the time. It's just a 'dummy' gauge.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

98's are acurate...

so basically.. you're saying ditch it... so not only will you NOT know you have low coolant, but you wont know how hot you are running if you are low.. before its too late??? not smart..

If you had an aftermarket temp guage then I would agree.. in this case.. no.. replace the sensor
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea, I know 98's are accurate, but he has a '99.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

all the more reason to replace it then, since its not accurate... if he had a working, accurate temp gauge.. then I would say no biggie
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 AM
That's what she said...

98's are acurate...

so basically.. you're saying ditch it... so not only will you NOT know you have low coolant, but you wont know how hot you are running if you are low.. before its too late??? not smart..

If you had an aftermarket temp guage then I would agree.. in this case.. no.. replace the sensor
The low coolant sensor and the temperature sensor are two completely different things. His LEVEL sensor is broken, not the temp sensor. The coolant LEVEL sensor is located on the radiator, just below the cap and is perfectly safe to unplug the harness from. Temp sensor is located on the driver side head. You cannot unplug the temp sensor, even if you have a mechanical guage.

Just because the factory guage in the dash on the 99+ models doesn't work, it doesn't mean that the sensor isn't telling the PCM exactly how hot the coolant is. It's the guage that is not really telling you anything. Nearly every algorithm in the PCM has engine coolant temperature as one of the parameters. Removing, or even unplugging this sensor is definatly not an option, but this is just FYI, not really related to the thread.

If your coolant is low, it will usually be leaking somewhere, which you'll see/smell long before the light comes on. My damn coolant level light came yesterday while I was hauling nuts down the highway, and the bitch has been unplugged for 2 years.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Blur...

I completely understand your point .. but i think you might be misunderstanding mine..

I know exactly the difference between the coolant sensor and the level sensor...

my point was this... if he(not the computer) doesnt really know what the temp is in the car.. and he wont EVER know how low he coolant really is.. that is not really good. If he had an aftermarket temp sensor or a 98 car.. i wouldnt be as addemant about this, because he would at least see his temps rise from low coolant.

that dummy gauge sucks.. if you're over heating, it wont start pegging over until you get to 240*F+ (which happened in my 00 car) I, like you, disabled my coolant level sensor.. was driving on the freeway to Las Vegas... coolant went low (no way to tell while you're on the highway).. temp pegged over... If i would have had a level sensor.. it would have warned me long before I lost all my coolant and had to pull over from overheating.

So my suggestion was.. get an aftermarket temp gauge if you unplug the level sender, at least have some type of alternate to rely on.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:31 PM
That's what she said...

Hey Blur...

I completely understand your point .. but i think you might be misunderstanding mine..

I know exactly the difference between the coolant sensor and the level sensor...

my point was this... if he(not the computer) doesnt really know what the temp is in the car.. and he wont EVER know how low he coolant really is.. that is not really good. If he had an aftermarket temp sensor or a 98 car.. i wouldnt be as addemant about this, because he would at least see his temps rise from low coolant.

that dummy gauge sucks.. if you're over heating, it wont start pegging over until you get to 240*F+ (which happened in my 00 car) I, like you, disabled my coolant level sensor.. was driving on the freeway to Las Vegas... coolant went low (no way to tell while you're on the highway).. temp pegged over... If i would have had a level sensor.. it would have warned me long before I lost all my coolant and had to pull over from overheating.

So my suggestion was.. get an aftermarket temp gauge if you unplug the level sender, at least have some type of alternate to rely on.
I gotcha.

I would get a nice temp guage in a 99+ car no matter what, but I don't have that problem........

.....unfortunatly I have alot more...

so not only will you NOT know you have low coolant, but you wont know how hot you are running if you are low
It seemed like you thought it was just one sensor. Sorry 'bout that!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say replace the sensor as well or go with an aftermarket gauge and sensor.