Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car running hot

my car is running hot with A/C on It is a 02 Z28 with a procharger on it. I have a 16" 3500cfm puller, 14" 2300pusher in front of condensor and I am using purple Ice 75/25 water mixture. It runs fine until your go threw town and in traffic it will start to get hot about 230 or so. both fans come on at 170 off 165. Is there a radiator out there that can bring down the temps?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Does the car still have the lower plastic air dam on it? if that is missing it will run hot on the highway...
Secondly how many miles on the car. the external fins of rad my be plugged with crap and have to be blown out..

John
Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
Does the car still have the lower plastic air dam on it? if that is missing it will run hot on the highway...
Secondly how many miles on the car. the external fins of rad my be plugged with crap and have to be blown out..

John
yea the lower air dam is there and the whole front of the car is cut out for the fmic and covered with a billet grill the car has 40,000mi the radiator is clean. I think I need a bigger radiator.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

So you converted the car to a front breather for the IC. This might be one of the problems. With you changeing so much of the airflow going to the rad. You might have to change some things around. Namely have all the air go through the Rad. With the underneath of the car still open. The airflow might not be going through the rad. Just another thing to consider..

John
Old 08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
So you converted the car to a front breather for the IC. This might be one of the problems. With you changeing so much of the airflow going to the rad. You might have to change some things around. Namely have all the air go through the Rad. With the underneath of the car still open. The airflow might not be going through the rad. Just another thing to consider..

John
I dont think it is that, this car was running hot before the fmic. It has been a ongoing thing since I put the blower on it and had the twin intercoolers that came with the kit. After cutting a big hole in the radiator shroud and mounting 5500cfm worth of fans on it I would think it could handle the a/c running at slow speeds in 95+ degree temps . I have the fans programed to run until 55mph thinking it would help at slower speeds but I guess you can only cool so much with that little radiator that came stock.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear that running hot with a supercharger is common .

Something you may want to look at is the two small tubes toward the top of the radiator (almost above the other ) may be crossed if you have removed the of late . One is the steam line and the other is the coolant overflow .
With these crossed you can ride around without ac and the car will not run hot but as soon as you kick on the ac it will start to over heat .
Old 08-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by snake charmer
I hear that running hot with a supercharger is common .

Something you may want to look at is the two small tubes toward the top of the radiator (almost above the other ) may be crossed if you have removed the of late . One is the steam line and the other is the coolant overflow .
With these crossed you can ride around without ac and the car will not run hot but as soon as you kick on the ac it will start to over heat .
thanks for the input I wil check but I think they are right.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Get a intercoller. Maybe a Better Raditor could Not Help. But Not Much