Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Exhaust...Again?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Exhaust...Again?!

I'm sure a few of y'all on here have heard the exhaust system I have on my car right now: Long tubes, off-road X-pipe, and 2 Dynomax Bullet race mufflers dumped before the axle. Oh hell yeah, that sounds sweet. Sounds just like a race car. But that's the problem...The local police aren't too keen. I have been getting many unhappy looks from them lately. Sure, I've had a few cops give me thumbs up, but the ones that are just itching to hit the blue light definitely outweigh the thumbs up. So I have been considering doing away with the x pipe and turndowns and going with an off-road Y pipe with my factory catback attached. But "boo!!" I can hear many saying. Don't worry, I'm getting a couple cut-outs to put directly after each header collector. But the more I think about this, I know it will be pointless to do this setup since I will just be running open cutouts all the time probably I guess it's just for peace of mind to know that I can quickly go from hell to stealth. This won't be Rasp City will it? I remember all the off-road Y-piped LS1's at G10 and damn there was a lot of rasp going around. I hate that sound. With my factory ('99 SS) catback that I will be putting back on, will that eliminate most, if not all (hopefully) rasp since it is so quiet? What are your thoughts on this idea?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't have rasp with the stock catback.

I did this exact same thing recently, but I put a 4" bullet in my 4" I pipe right before the dumped cutout. With the bullet and SLP dual/dual, its silent with the cutout closed, and NASTY with it open.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Stock catback will be rasp free. I'd get an electric cutout too. "That wasn't my car you heard officer??"
Old 09-27-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

I did this exact same thing recently, but I put a 4" bullet in my 4" I pipe right before the dumped cutout. With the bullet and SLP dual/dual, its silent with the cutout closed, and NASTY with it open.
Yeah, I just heard a setup that is EXACTLY what I will be doing (not the cut-out part, but the long-tube/ORY/stock SS catback) and it sounded damn good actually. And I will be getting two cut-outs--one for the end of each collector. I shouldn't have any issues running open cut-outs the majority of the time, should I?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Stock catback will be rasp free. I'd get an electric cutout too. "That wasn't my car you heard officer??"
Good to hear. And why get one cut-out when you can have two?!

And that's exactly why I will be doing this setup. That way I can still be loud as hell, but be quiet when "needed".
Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone that has two cut-outs (right after each collector):
Do you have turn-downs? How is the clearance?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Old 10-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Oh man, I can't believe your getting rid of your exhaust! I just let off when I pass cops here.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Tech Resident

dude, add cats to your setup, then change your bullets to spiral flows or single chambers and run it out the back. not only will it sound soooo much better than ANY y-pipe setup, it'll be less raspy AND perform better.

going from TD's to ANY y-pipe setup is like dumping jessica alba for rosie o'donnell. it's just a bad idea.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula_X
Oh man, I can't believe your getting rid of your exhaust! I just let off when I pass cops here.
I say opt for this one! and thanks for the back there in that other thread FormulaX... some ppl can't take a joke.

Did you ever think of tossing your stock catback on there and getting an electric cutout? that way you can quiet it down when you need to, or leave it wide open and almost as loud as the dumps I would say.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
dude, add cats to your setup, then change your bullets to spiral flows or single chambers and run it out the back. not only will it sound soooo much better than ANY y-pipe setup, it'll be less raspy AND perform better.

going from TD's to ANY y-pipe setup is like dumping jessica alba for rosie o'donnell. it's just a bad idea.
Thats exactly what i was thinking.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

I say keep it the way it is. it wont get better and you wont be happy. i have ory lt's and hooker and i get looks too. i do have a cam, but thats beside the point. those cops will dislike you either way.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Formula_X
I guess the only thing that makes me want to swap is the lack of ground clearance and the no tail pipes thing. I mean, tail pipes are an absolute necessity in Georgia. But then again, taking of cats anywhere is illegal, so...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:20 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

That was how my 4" was back in the day.

BTW Case: I like your sig better now than you shitty last one.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

Nah, I absolutely love the sound of catless setups. Plus, those cats sure are expensive!

And yeah, I have to agree with you on that. It is a step down, but the lack of clearance really does suck. I guess I really just need to find a way to tuck these damn things up. Any pointers? I'll get some pictures of the lack of ground clearance up tomorrow hopefully.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight98TA
Did you ever think of tossing your stock catback on there and getting an electric cutout? that way you can quiet it down when you need to, or leave it wide open and almost as loud as the dumps I would say.
Err...isn't that exactly what I said in my original post?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
I say keep it the way it is. it wont get better and you wont be happy. i have ory lt's and hooker and i get looks too. i do have a cam, but thats beside the point. those cops will dislike you either way.
Yeah...Maybe I just need to get some quieter mufflers. But damn, I love the race car sound I've got with my Dynomax Bullets...

Also, just curious: Why do you have "350" emblems on your car? And why the Corvette emblems on the side?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
Err...isn't that exactly what I said in my original post?
er ah... maybe....

but that just shows you what a good idea it is then....
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by spazzyfry123
Nah, I absolutely love the sound of catless setups. Plus, those cats sure are expensive!

And yeah, I have to agree with you on that. It is a step down, but the lack of clearance really does suck. I guess I really just need to find a way to tuck these damn things up. Any pointers? I'll get some pictures of the lack of ground clearance up tomorrow hopefully.
magnaflow cats are ~60 bucks, and if you really want, i can PM you a link for bullet style high flow cats for 40 dollars. cats will not change the sound of your exhaust, it will just quiet it. it'll sound just as badass as it does now. actually, if you change the mufflers to something other than bullets it'll sound even better.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight98TA
er ah... maybe....

but that just shows you what a good idea it is then....