Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who have installed the SSRA

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those who have installed the SSRA

What type of screws are you supposed to use to attach this to the underside of the bumper? They look to be very small and I know I need five of them. I also wanted to know if anyone has used bodykit molding tape to adhere the scoop or if it sounds like a good idea?

Finally, when I was playing around with the two pieces, the lower scoop when put into the upper part doesn't actually form one continuous piece. When I put them together and looked at the back side (like where the radiator would be) I can put half of my hand into the scoop. Is it bad design or is this intentional for water drainage should one go puddle diving?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

no, I only used four for the bottom part, just get some small screws. No it is not a bad design, it is prven to work, it has a better design then the fast toys one. I just used vinyl to seal up that spot that you are talking about, it works fine
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump for more comments.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

why do you need more, did i not give a good enough one> , seriously just take my advice
Old 10-21-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
What type of screws are you supposed to use to attach this to the underside of the bumper? They look to be very small and I know I need five of them. I also wanted to know if anyone has used bodykit molding tape to adhere the scoop or if it sounds like a good idea?

Finally, when I was playing around with the two pieces, the lower scoop when put into the upper part doesn't actually form one continuous piece. When I put them together and looked at the back side (like where the radiator would be) I can put half of my hand into the scoop. Is it bad design or is this intentional for water drainage should one go puddle diving?

Didnt you get the screws with the ssra? All you need is 5 flat head sheet metal screws preferably with deep threads. I forgot what size but 1" should be fine. You dont need any tape.

The part where you can fit your hand in is the part where the two ducts form over that bracket right? You could do what I did. I just taped it up with duct tape the best I could although you dont need it. I ended up taking mine off anyway. The design is very good. I do sheet metal and duct work for work and you cant really make a better design.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the gap is for the bracket peice and so that water wont be able to be sucked nito your motor,as it will drain from that hole. the SSRA is the ebst designed intake available
Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I'm in the process of installing the scoops. Boy is the FRA process a pain when you've only got a handsaw and a metal file. Eeesh. I'm still not quite done with that. I cut it as the instructions displayed it - you need to keep a center, vertical line of the plastic to support the filter correct?

In the installation instructions, nothing is mentioned about putting back on the two flaps of radiator shroud. Are you supposed to or is it not possible with the scoop wedged in there? I'm going to check back here later and hopefully there will be an answer; until then I'm going to continue filing the edges of the airlid support so that everything is smooth.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes el;ave a center support. the plastic pieces will go back with the SSRA or else youre gonna ahve some cooling problems
Old 10-21-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gonna go snap a photo because this isn't working out for me.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now here's what is holding me up. I can't seem to push this upper shroud down anymore so the upper half of the scoop will be too high. That means I can't put the airlid support back on top because the contours on the bottom won't line up.

I know it looks funny how it's positioned right now but I'm getting perplexed. Guess what? First mod (aside from FRCs which I just barely helped put in), it's taking longer than expected and I'm supposed to leave here in an hour + I haven't had dinner yet.

Haha.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

maybe cut the top of that shroud off?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is what I was thinking but I really couldn't decide. Nothing like that is mentioned in the instructions. Anybody else viewing this thread?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

This guy's cardomain says the shroud comes out ...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/243722/2
Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

i took that shroud out..i dont think you can make it work the way you have..i doubt the lid and stuff will fit...just my opinion because i didnt get instructions with mine so i could have done it wrong, but mine sit perfect?? there are just a couple of tabs and stuff you have to remove to get that shroud out and then it slips right into place where the shroud used to be
Old 10-21-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what about the lower half? There's two rubber sheets. The one that looks stupid is the upper one in my pictures but then there's the lower with ties together with the upper and the bottom of the bumper. You left both out? Tainted has me a little nervous with 'cooling problems' without them in place.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

well I may very well be wrong. but those air deflectors are to help air get to the radiator and cool it and such. the ssra may replace them or take away the need for them, but i cant say for sure. I dont have the SSRA yet so I cant help ya but to an extent. Personally if I could I would keep that plastic in there, and cut the top off. Let me go read over this cardomain and I'll get back to you, if you get like yahoo messenger or something I can help ya out a bit quicker, and got a few pics i think of the shrouds.

Last edited by Tainted; 10-21-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok, that guy is pretty sharp, if he took it out, then I would do it. if he had any problems with it he would ahve told me about it. I had a lnog conversation with him voer the SSRA and said he ahd no problems with it and taking the shrouds out, and even ahs a tranny cooler and still ahs no cooling problems.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Say, do you know where I can get some new plastic push pins that attach to the underside of the bumper?

Also, I just can't deal with the bottom half of the intake tonight. I can't get enough of it into the upper half to justify attempting to screw it into the bumper. I'll probably end up purchasing molding tape to attach this because the seller of this never used intake didn't include the screws! I bought some other ones I found at the hardware store but they are mini-bolts so I'd have to drill teeny holes to get them started.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I take it you bought this thing used correct?

Heres an idea if you did. make a post saying soemthing like "all SSRA woners in here asap!"

ask someone to scan the directions and uplaod them so you can print them uot and know what youre doing.

oh and the push pins you get at auto zone and such, theyre rather pricey at times
Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

HOOOOOLLLLD ON A MIN. Take the shroud out. you do not need it. mine is out and it is better than before.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have installed the SSRA