Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust

i have a 2000 ta im going to be going with slp longtubes and i want it to be as quiet as possible i have a loud mouth now and i know its going to be loud as hell with the long tubes i am curious to what exhaust would keep it about the same and it is now without the headers let me know what you think
Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

First, SLP headers are a no-no. No one on here buys, them and the ones that do complain about how awful they are. Then people respond "duh, common knowledge if you would search around a bit".

Second, Loudmouth, ORY, and LT's is the worst possible sounding exhaust set-up. Personally, I think the Dual/Dual and Hooker are the only two catbacks that sound good with out CATS.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would agree with the poster before me, SLP longtubes are an issue to many people why take that gamble?

If you want them by all means, go ahead still no law that forbids it.

To help keep noise down.
Have Cats.
Have a box muffler with a res somewhere.
Keep stock exhaust setup, and use a cut out for "rowdey time".

A few nice catbacks for Longtubes with out being screaming are Borla, Corsa and Hooker. SLP Dual Dual if you can find it is really well made and quite quiet.

If you want to just shave a few DB and greatly improve your tone you can swap your LM res for a bullet muffler, I run a Magnaflow search Magnamouth and see if you like it.

DnyoMax Borla and Stainless Works all offer a muffler you could use as well, but as stated before it'll still be quite nosiey, but sound alot better then just a LT+ LM setup.

How much are you looking to spend ?
Old 11-12-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

buy pacesetters... a lot cheaper, better fitment, etc. Buy magnaflow, hooker, or corsa as far as catbacks go. Lose the cats.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Launching!

why are you saying not to get the slp headers, what is wrong with them, i mean the reason im was going to get them is the guy wants 400 bucks for them and its coming with the headers,y pipe and cats i figured it was a pertty good deal tell me y it isnt
Old 11-12-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hokie00 TA
why are you saying not to get the slp headers, what is wrong with them, i mean the reason im was going to get them is the guy wants 400 bucks for them and its coming with the headers,y pipe and cats i figured it was a pertty good deal tell me y it isnt
That is quite a deal!
Most places new ask around 800ish for just the Longtubes alone...

The SLP long tubes are not the best for power, they also are know to hang pretty low.

For that deal I don't blame you for snagging them honestly.

I mean 400 for most everything you need *should do plugs wires during install* Also after a tune is a great idea. You just can't beat it a set of Coated pacesetters is around that + shipping, then you need a ORY or catted Y.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.) say "NO" to SLP longtubes. fitment and ground clearance issues galore.

2.) do NOT lose the cats. definitely keep them. why are people saying "lose the cats"? the guy wants a quiet exhaust. besides, cats make the tone much better on y-pipe setups. td's are another story.

3.) the only exhausts you should be considering are magnaflow, hooker and slp dual/dual all WITH cats. they will be as quiet as possible. everything else will wake up a lot with headers. slp dual/dual won't be much louder than stock with longtubes and cats.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
That is quite a deal!
Most places new ask around 800ish for just the Longtubes alone...

The SLP long tubes are not the best for power, they also are know to hang pretty low.

For that deal I don't blame you for snagging them honestly.

I mean 400 for most everything you need *should do plugs wires during install* Also after a tune is a great idea. You just can't beat it a set of Coated pacesetters is around that + shipping, then you need a ORY or catted Y.
Thats not true ALL LT's make right around the same power, its just the ground clearance issue why people dont like them, also their a Stainless steel header which is a plus
Old 11-12-2006, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP lt's may be stainless or not but I have seen some rusty *** old SLP lt's.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

if your not lowering your car SLPs will be fine , i have them and fitment is great , they look great but they do hang low but im not lowered . as far as power goes most long tubes are the same . for that price id do it .
Old 11-13-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive heard and seen nothing but problems from the slpl lt's. the thing that gets me is they really do end up rusting.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Launching!

what nobody else has anything to say about this
Old 11-14-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

well first of all you didnt mention that you were getting them for 400... also the hooker and dual dual both sound better without cats then they do with them.. the magnaflow sounds pretty good too.. heres a video of pacesetters ory and hooker. Its great because its quiet on the highway and under normal driving and loud when you step on it.. lets see if i can load these properly..

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=MOV01601.flv

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=MOV01595.flv

ok i couldnt load it so there are the links..
Old 11-14-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1319572835

heres another one.. i was just getting rid of the stock eagle f1s.. got almost 25k out of them..

also another reason i say lose the cats is bc if your state doesnt require a visual inspection just have the rear 02's deleted so you dont have to run them and it will save you some money on a y-pipe. If your car is an m6 you can keep it pretty quiet if you choose to.. The main reason i got the hooker is because cops are here are dicks and im not get pulled over for being to loud and have them see everything illegal about my car and give me one of those 5days to get it fixed deals.. On the other hand you wont be losing much power if you go with highflow cats like carsound or magnaflow, which are the same thing.. but why spend the extra money when youve already got a good deal on the slps

Last edited by carado1984; 11-14-2006 at 10:17 AM.