Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most affordable ceramic coated headers and y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Most affordable ceramic coated headers and y-pipe

my friends on a 02 WS6 budget build and wants to get some headers so he's looking at the pacesetters with the jet hot coating. he also wants his y-pipe jet hot coated and he found out the hooker 3in ORY can come like that and so he's wondering if there will be any problems with installing them if he decides to go with them??
Old 11-28-2006, 03:47 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There might be a problem and there might not. Anytime I do a Y-pipe install I always expect it to be a huge pain. Y-pipes will always have a wierd fit due to the difference on different cars. It is hard to find a Y-pipe that is the cure all fit all....even on 1 kind of header.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the hookers pipe wont work with the apce setter headers. theres no point in coating the y pipe anyway
Old 11-28-2006, 07:20 PM

why wouldn't you coat the y-pipe anyways
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

you dont need the y coated and if the car is lowered (or you have intentions on lowering it) and it scrapes it wont have a coating anyway.. save your money and just coat the headers!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
why wouldn't you coat the y-pipe anyways
think about it: what is the point of the coating on the headers? the answer is to keep your engine bay cooler because the hotter engine bay is bad for performance and a hot engine bay can shorten parts length. that's the only purpose of the coating on headers, besides making them last a little longer before rusting.

now, why coat a y-pipe? it won't affect your engine bay temperatures and it's useless for looks. there is absolutely NO POINT to getting it coated. it does nothing but drain your wallet. you'll see no better performance out of it. to the OP: tell your friend to save his money.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
think about it: what is the point of the coating on the headers? the answer is to keep your engine bay cooler.....

now, why coat a y-pipe? it won't affect your engine bay temperatures and it's useless for looks. there is absolutely NO POINT to getting it coated......

You missed the other benefit of ceramic coating.....to keep the exhaust temps up. The more heat you can retain in the exhaust system, the faster it travels through that system....thus improving exhaust velocity which means more power. Not saying you'd see a huge improvement in a coated y-pipe over non-coated, but every little bit helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
You missed the other benefit of ceramic coating.....to keep the exhaust temps up. The more heat you can retain in the exhaust system, the faster it travels through that system....thus improving exhaust velocity which means more power. Not saying you'd see a huge improvement in a coated y-pipe over non-coated, but every little bit helps.
in this case, i don't see the ends justifying the means. i'm sorry, i just don't see it.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
That's what she said...

Exhuast gas should stay hotter for more velocity? Sounds like something you'd read on a streetfire.net comment section.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Exhuast gas should stay hotter for more velocity? Sounds like something you'd read on a streetfire.net comment section.
Not making it up. Don't belive me?....search & read about it. I believe David Vizard has written articles on this. The faster the exhaust gas pulse moves, the better it can scavenge out all of the spent gasses during valve overlap. The scavenging effect can be visualised by imagining the high-pressure pulse with a trailing low-pressure area behind. The faster the high-pressure pulse moves the stronger the draw on the low-pressure gasses and the gasses behind that. The scavenge action is like (but not exactly) suction on the gasses behind. Velocity is directly related to temperature. As exhaust travels through the system and the temperature cools, the speed at which it's moving through that system slows. Keeping the temperature drop within the system to a minumum will in turn keep exhaust velocity to a maximum.

Last edited by jmm98LS1; 11-30-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

i never thought of that...i guess it would help but i still dont think the gain would surpass the cost.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
That's what she said...

That velocity argument applies for headers, where there is defined pulses amongst the tubes at the merge collector. This is why larger tubed headers cost power on bottom, with gains up top, where pulses are not defined enough to produce scavenging, and increased area produces more power.

Here's my thoughts on the rest of the system. Flowrate is dependent on pressure drop and flow area. An engine needs to push the exhaust gasses out, which it will do no matter what it has to go through. Since the end is always 14.7, the only way to cause a larger pressure differential is to increase the upstream pressure. This increase in upstream pressure costs us power considering the motor is the "compressor".

Lowering the temperature of the gas increases the density, causing the same volume to include more exhaust gas. This denser gas can be forced through the same pipe, with the same CFM, using LESS differential pressure. This is going to save us some power that we would normally use to compress the gas.

A prime example of this is turbo piping. Ever wonder why turbochargers have the largest downpipes as will fit? Larger pressure drop, as soon as possible, increases efficiency.

....but I've been wrong before...