Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers

how much hp would headers give my ls1? which would brand is the best? and which size should i get, shortys or long? sould i aslo dont know what is better cats or no cats in my last car i took the cats out and it ran great but the ses light stayed on. any kind of help would be great.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everybody is going to tell you to do a search. A good set of LTs should gain 20-25rwhp. Shorties are a waste, although the MAC mids are pretty good...especially on a lowered car. You can remove the SES light with a tune. I have the Hooker LTs and have also had MACs...both have worked out well for me.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Everybody is going to tell you to do a search. A good set of LTs should gain 20-25rwhp. Shorties are a waste, although the MAC mids are pretty good...especially on a lowered car. You can remove the SES light with a tune. I have the Hooker LTs and have also had MACs...both have worked out well for me.

+1, except i wouldnt even bother with the mids, but shorties are definately a waste. Price determines what is best. Get stainless if you can afford it. Otherwise coated pacesetters seem to be the header of choice on this site. Ive got the stainless ebay headers.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take a peek at the EDELBROCKS...nice..great welds..anything they do turns out for the good.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Banned

The most effective mod for these engines is headers, by far, that way you can let the engine breathe to its full potential. Mids only reach a percentage of that potential, so running them because you got a good deal OR you want to run cats off the collector and need ground clearance, is a personal preference. Shorties are options for people who are in CA who need to be smog legal, they barely flow better than stock manifolds unless you're a 98-99.

As far as cats you're going to hear both sides but I think you should run cats because 1). they get rid of that annoying gas smell and 2). they don't cost more than a handful of hp. Plus they help clean up the sound.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would recommend stainless steel longtube headers. Kooks & QTP are usually the most common in stainless. They cost a little more but worth the investment. Going with or without cats usually depends on local emissions testing. None where I live = But they will affect sound. I got cats to cut down on rasp. Pure preference in that aspect. If you get "race style" headers, your SES light will be on anyways. You'll have to just get it tuned out.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the stickies man, you could have had your answers before you could have typed this out.