Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta replace water pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta replace water pump

My water pump is slowly dying. I have the new one in my garage and wondering how hard this will be to do myself. Does the radiator have to come out? I don't have access to a lift so is this something a out of house mechanic like myself might be able to handle?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On LT1 cars yes.

On LS1 cars there seems to be alot more room but again I will say yes. Ive done them from the bottom and not remove the radiator but took long, did it from the top with the radiator removed, saved time.

Get a good manual and you should be fine. As far as workin on Fbodies are concerned
Old 12-19-2006, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

I replaced mine a couple of years ago and didn't have to remove the rad. Took about 1-2 hours going slowly.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It is very simple to do. I did mine from the top without removing the radiator. There is plenty of room..... 6 10mm bolts hold it in place. 1 bolt will have to be taken out with a regular or rachet wrench because you will not be able to get a rachet in there. That is the hardest part and still very simple to do. Also, put a couple of bolts on either side to hold the gasket in place when you are reinstalling the pump. Hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The water pump is not a problem. you don't have to remove the radiator-you would probably waste time removing it. It will probably take a couple hours to do it for the first time, but if you have any basic mechanic skills you will be able to do it.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water pumps are pretty easy. I had to do mine last summer, did it all from the top, and needed no special tools.

Tip: If you have no short term memory, take plenty of photos. It helped me. Also, I used little baggies to keep the different bolts separate.
Tip: The old gasket was a real bear to get off the block. Have a good scraper handy and take your time.
Tip: I vacuumed out the pieces that got into the water passageway. The coolant helped clean out the tiny bits as it got sucked out.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:06 AM
On the tree

What are some options for the stock water pump replacement? Are there any more efficient or higher flow stock replacement without going with a electric pump?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
What are some options for the stock water pump replacement? Are there any more efficient or higher flow stock replacement without going with a electric pump?
ttt, i have the same question
Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could do it easily within 2 hours, that includes going slowly and reading directions. t is not necessary to remove the radiator. You'll need to remove the airlid, maf sensor, bellow, and the throttle body. This gives you enough room to work with. I think the most laborious part of it is removing the waterpump and taking off all the old gasket material from the waterpump.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went ahead with a replacement part from Advanced Auto. It shipped from the factory and I had to wait a couple of days, but it fit right and has worked well. The orininal one lasted seven years and 88k miles.

Since my car is basically stock I saw no reason to spend the extra money on a fancy water pump. The other one worked just fine. However, I'm sure there are plenty of expensive name brand waterpumps if you looked in the online parts catalogs.