Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There here Finally

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default There here Finally

My headers just arrived today and i took some pics of them they kinda look funny. looks like half of them are polished and the rest regular pipe. Hope to start on them tonight and get them done some time in the near future. Quick question my stock y-pipe is stuck in the cat back pipe any ideas how to get it out? Any tips on the install as well?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if theyre kooks like yur sign says its just the way the stainless is sometimes
Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

They came with clamps and header bolts as well so i am one happy camper
Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun with the install. What kind r they? And according to your slip you got yourself a strong runnin car.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry forgot to take a pick of the stamp on it they are Kooks 1-3/4" primary headers
Old 01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats how stialness looks. they will turn golden and blue once you got them in
Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
That's what she said...

You're going to be very pleased with those.

You may have to jack up the motor a bit to get the driver side header in, but probably won't have to unbolt it. I had to unbolt the pedestal from the K-member to get my 1-7/8 Kooks in. I ran all 4 bolts almost all the way out, then jacked up, worked pretty good. Make sure you unclip/remove your lid so you don't damage it and also watch the manifold/cowl clearanace.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Make sure you unclip/remove your lid so you don't damage it.
What do you mean by this?

edit: ahhh you mean with the hood down....
Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
What do you mean by this?
If he has to jack up the motor in order to get the driver side header in, he needs to make sure the lid is free. The intake/tb will be moving and could damage the lid if he has to jack up the motor.

Hood doesn't factor in. Who works on their car with their hood down? I make sure my hood's up and my butt-crack is out at all times when wrenching. It's in the Camaro handbook.....
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If he has to jack up the motor in order to get the driver side header in, he needs to make sure the lid is free. The intake/tb will be moving and could damage the lid if he has to jack up the motor.

Hood doesn't factor in. Who works on their car with their hood down? I make sure my hood's up and my butt-crack is out at all times when wrenching. It's in the Camaro handbook.....
Haha true... I dont know whats happening
Old 01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Any ideas on how to get my old y-pipe off of the cat back i've been trying to pound a screwdriver in between them and pry them apart but i've been at it awhile and they only wiggle a little and i pulled the muffler out of the hanger already lol but other than that i have the two rear manifold bolts out the cats are out and the y-pipe is whats giving me problems i think getin the manifolds out should be a piece of cake
Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had trouble getting mine apart and the LM was only put on less than a year ago. luckily i could pull the Y pipe and that little intermediate pipe out in one piece and work on it off the car. you could either keep wiggling it or get one of those rubber pipe things you can wrap around and use like a wrench. sorry dont know the name of em. you could also take off that crossbrace and get it off
Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

the cross brace might help me get at it better now but before i tried and had no luck well back to pounding i guess.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're going to be very pleased with those.

You may have to jack up the motor a bit to get the driver side header in, but probably won't have to unbolt it. I had to unbolt the pedestal from the K-member to get my 1-7/8 Kooks in. I ran all 4 bolts almost all the way out, then jacked up, worked pretty good. Make sure you unclip/remove your lid so you don't damage it and also watch the manifold/cowl clearanace.
That's exactly what I did with my Kooks. It's not a big thing to undo, but I forgot about my Strut Tower Brace. Boot that if you plan on jacking up the motor. It hit me when we were jacking it up to glance up and see the intake manifold like 1/16" from the STB. Whew! Moved it and everything was cool.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see some sponsor products over the Ebay crap finally.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by LILWS6
Any ideas on how to get my old y-pipe off of the cat back i've been trying to pound a screwdriver in between them and pry them apart but i've been at it awhile and they only wiggle a little and i pulled the muffler out of the hanger already lol but other than that i have the two rear manifold bolts out the cats are out and the y-pipe is whats giving me problems i think getin the manifolds out should be a piece of cake
I unbolted the stock manifolds from the y-pipe/cats, then put a ratchet strap from the y-pipe to the K-member, tightened the **** out of it. Then hung upside down on the y-pipe pulling as hard as I could whilest beating the connection with a hammer and yelling like George of the Jungle.

Came out no problem.

If you're not comfortable doing this, you could try some PB Blaster on the connection, let it soak for a while, and start yankin'.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

when i pulled my loudmouth it was completely stuck to the y pipe.after beating and banging until the edge of sanity i finally broke out the torch,got it good and hot,and it practically fell apart.heat is your friend(wear gloves ).good luck
Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Nows the time i wish i had a torch I never thought about a ratchet strap i'll probably do this today hope fully get it off. I also plan on getting the last 3 bolts i need to drop the manifolds out I gave up kinda early yesterday cuz i was frustrated. lol Maybe i can have the header in at least today maybe.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Glad to see some sponsor products over the Ebay crap finally.
Yea i'm not cheap i go for the good stuff. I've heard good things about QTP and KOOKS lately but decided on kooks cuz i heard a few things i didn't want to deal with on the QTP's
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Launching!

yeah my headers looked like that when they came in. just the way kooks come.