Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks are awsome but one problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Kooks are awsome but one problem

Alright i got past my issue with the driverside header i had to pull the 4 bolts on the motor mount and get it up about 1/2 an inch and some extra force and it slid right up into place. i was so happy. got all the header bolts cranked down put all the wires back on get the dipstick tube back in somehow lol. buttoned up the top end and cleaned up my tools. So i fired it up straight headers to make shure everything was running alright. no ses light or anythign like that. The car sounds awsome with straight headers but i have no idea how any one can daily drive that. so i go back under the car and start assembling the y-pipe. Yea heres where it gets fun.i finally got the y-pipe to fit onto both headers and got them pounded all the way down, but the damn y-pipe is rubbing all over the place. i think its hitting the tunnel in at least three places. and its real close to the tranny mount it looks like it needs to get shifted over to the left. I can't get it to budge. so i decided it was time for a break vent a little to you guys and ask to see if any one has any sugestions. i still have to get the y-pipe into my cat back as well. Thanks for listening and i appreciate and help.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

geta cheap *** U clamp, cut a piece of hose and run it through the clamp and put one wher eits hitting. OR the ghetto rig I did. a crammed a brake pad in b/t my floorboards and the y pipe
Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHat brand Y pipe do you have?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

hes got Kooks I got jet hot
Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

its a kooks OFY. I don't think i want the pipe rubbing on anything under the car im kinda **** about things like this.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

That wierd because i always hear nothing but good things about kooks, and ive never heard about the kooks y pipe hiting anything, now you got me worried cuss i orderd my kooks headers and catted y pipe 3 days ago.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LILWS6
its a kooks OFY. I don't think i want the pipe rubbing on anything under the car im kinda **** about things like this.

I've heard that once you have the headers in place and bolted up, you then loosely slide in the Y-pipe and leave all of the clamps loose. Then you cut 3-4 pieces of 2x4 and stick them in between the Y-pipe and the floor boards. Once everything thing is fitted with the wooden blocks in place, you then tighten everything up and it is suppose to keep everything at the correct spacing. I just ordered Kooks 1 3/4 headers and their ORY. Everything should be in next week and I aam hoping to get the install done next weekend if everything works out ok. I hope this helps. If you decide to try this, keep me posted on how it works and what I may need to do different.

Joe
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 PM
That's what she said...

I had to take the middle slip joint in my y-pipe, and cut about 1/2" off the side that goes inside the other pipe. This allowed the slip joint to go on a little farther and pull the I pipe portion away from the tunnel, but I'm running the 4" I pipe version.

I also found, that the crushed section wasn't crushed far enough to clear one of the chassis braces. Few whacks with my 5lb hammer (to extend the crushed section) and it was perfect. Now my system clears everywhere. It may take you a while to get it fitting right, but I promise you'll be happy when it's done.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

First of all i couldn't slide these loosly any where i'm doing this all by myself so i supose this could be part of the problem. no ones ever around when i need to work on my car lol. I think i'm going to have to take it off and try again lol see where that gets me
Old 01-20-2007, 02:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

thats what you get for buying Kooks, should have got ebay stuff!!

Just messing with ya man, exhaust suck. No matter what brand you get most have some problems along the way. Loosen the clamps up a little and take your time to move it over, you will get it to fit.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try Tainted's method, I had to do the same thing, works great. Cost $5 and 20 minutes at most.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Take a look at TA Pics in my sig. I've had no problems and the pics may help you a bit. My y pipe and cats are part of the Kooks package. I have not any rubbing since they were installed 3 years ago. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

My clamps arn't even tight there all loose not even with the nuts on them lol. living in wisconsin sucks and when you don't have heat in your garage its worse. so i haven't been able to touch the car for a few days its been way to cold but i'm going to try and take it off when i get a chance in the warmer weather and try again. if i get the same result i'll take pics of it and see if any one can help with a better vision of whats going on. thanks for all the tips we'll see how it goes
Old 01-20-2007, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

I also think cutting the left pipe might help to fit my pipes together.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

I have kook's 1 3/4 step 1 7/8, just installed kook's y-pipe same problem. i took a 3 LBS and worked over a few places under the car befor i put it on. now it is still hitting. just have to wait till after war games are over to work on it and do what i can to try and fix. it was all really tight gonig together.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thats what i'm saying its a tight fit witch i like but just makes it a little more difficult to work on getting it in there
Old 01-21-2007, 02:20 PM
That's what she said...

I could not put the y-pipe on unless all the header bolts were almost all the way backed out.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had no trouble getting the 1X3/4 Kooks in. It wouldnt go in. I took 30 secs to jack the car up higher then it wiggled in. The cattd y was more of a biatch then I thought it would be though.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

before i yanked the y-pipe back off i noticed that it might not hae been as bad as i thought and that i might be able to "once its in the cat back and all clamped down" bend it a little bit and make it all clear. so once it gets warmer i'll give it anouther shot.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Teching In

i got the same problem with the y pipe is hitting somewhere somebody told me to do heater hose around the y pipe and should be no problem but not sure about this any's idea guys....