Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do It Myself Or Shop????? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do It Myself Or Shop????? Help!!

So im ordering headers over the winter and i cant decide whether to install them myself or have a shop do it....i live 10 min from speed inc. so thats where it'd be done. How hard is this really to do....my friends dad builds old cars and we did my catback and other stuff in his garage and he has all air powered tools so we have the tools no doubt but do you think we could do it ourselves? also how long do you think it might take to do the LT's and Ypipe and everything?? THanks alot
Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do them yourself. I'm n 18 yr old kid and did mine 2 weekends ago with minor tools. I got it all don in under 4 and a half hours my first time. you're gona save alot of $$$ get bosch 13111 02's. I just had a buddy help me hold the lt's so I coule get them in faster. And with Air tools you'll be alot faster. Follow this... http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html
Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

K thanks alot....im 17 soo yea i dont exactly have a ton of expierence but my friends pretty good wiht cars and if we run into any snags i can jsut ask his dad....thansk alot jsut saved me $275!!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blknight6989
K thanks alot....im 17 soo yea i dont exactly have a ton of expierence but my friends pretty good wiht cars and if we run into any snags i can jsut ask his dad....thansk alot jsut saved me $275!!
regardless, i don't care what anyone says, $275 for a header install is a great deal.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me know when you get it done... and make sure you fire that bitch up open headers!!! You'll love it
Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Do it Yourself. I do not have automotive experience. Me and a friend put my LT's on last weekend without air tools. So with air tools it will be even easier, GO FOR IT!!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, dude. It's fun working on your own ride. And worst case scenario, if it doesn't work out for you, you can always drive to speed inc. with open headers and let them know you're coming from a mile away.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blacksskid07
dude shut up and chill let the kid have fun. When i did mine it was the first big thing Ive done on a ls1
i dont think he needs to chill out the man was just saying 275 for a header install is not a bad deal any way you look at. dont bring that 18yr old **** diesel mentality to this forum....its just not needed. either way 275 from a way reputible company isnt bad...neither is saving money.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to do it yourself. It pretty basic stuff. The only thing that would suck now is the cold. But with all the install threads here and cool people to help you out if you get stuck, it should be a breeze. As a matter of fact, isn't Speed Inc in Illinois? Post up in the Midwest forum, I'm sure there are more than a few LS1techers around you that would be able to help you out in person for some suds.

And the $275 isn't all that bad IMO. If you feel like you wanted to go that route, that sounds like a good deal.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

don't fight boys. lol always wanted to use that one. as everyone has stated, if you have the time and means (and u have the means: ex: air tools) then go for it. it is not difficult at all. just time consuming. headers were also my first big install on my car, took my time and came out great. good luck man!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

K well im definetly thinking im gonna do them myself because my friends garage is heated and im pretty damn sure his dad has every tool on earth so im good wiht that...as far as getting it int he air wen we put my catback on we had it on 4 jackstands raised up to the top level and it looked pretty damn high if u ask me....but since 275 isnt that bad il thnk about it....but still being in school and **** im trying to save every penny i have!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

K well im definetly thinking im gonna do them myself because my friends garage is heated and im pretty damn sure his dad has every tool on earth so im good wiht that...as far as getting it int he air wen we put my catback on we had it on 4 jackstands raised up to the top level and it looked pretty damn high if u ask me....but since 275 isnt that bad il thnk about it....but still being in school and **** im trying to save every penny i have!!
I used my 3 tons jack stands i use for my grand cherokee and had plenty of rooom. I'm in school trying to save too man I know what you mean.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by dpw41285
i dont think he needs to chill out the man was just saying 275 for a header install is not a bad deal any way you look at. dont bring that 18yr old **** diesel mentality to this forum....its just not needed. either way 275 from a way reputible company isnt bad...neither is saving money.

If you (keyboard warriors) got any further bitching/moaning/****-measuring to do, take it up on myspace.

$275 is a pretty good deal, especially from Speed Inc., your response to Choco's post was unnecessary, and will not be tolerated.

BTW - I swapped clutches at 17, full exhaust, clutch again, head removal, and cam install at 18. When I first got my car, I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I learned from getting my hands dirty, hitting problems and overcoming them, and gathering every piece of knowledge I could from the people on this board.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 01-24-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Been there! My first build was a 1968 Dart with a 225 slant six (in 1974). I am completely self taught (reading, asking ?s, more reading....) amatuer semi-gearhead.

Cars......What a great hobby!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

dude, i'm 18 just swaped engine's in my car and transmissions, fuel pump, and a complete rear end by myself. I put my k member back in my car by myself. you can do header yourself. if you need help shoot me a pm, i'm local too.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ill put it to you like this. If its any doubt in your mind, take it to a shop. Its a pain in the *** when you start somethingand for some odd reason dont finish it. BTW, the air tools will be of no help to you.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a toddler's arm to get to some of that stuff in there. Do it yourself + a friend. Not too bad at all with a helping hand.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You need a toddler's arm to get to some of that stuff in there. Do it yourself + a friend. Not too bad at all with a helping hand.
best advice in the thread. if you do it, DON'T DO IT ALONE! this is one of those installs where "the more the merrier" really holds true. there will probably be a lot of points where you're so frustrated you simply can't do something, but your friend gets it the first try since he's calm
Old 01-25-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the right tools it not hard just time consuming. If you dont have the right tools be prepared to cuss a lot. I did mine practically by myself with just the GF holding the headers in place while I put a couple bolts in. I did have to quit for a bit though and get a couple more socket extensions to make it easier. Turning bolts like 1/16 of a turn at a time isnt fun.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

4 years ago when I did my headers it took maybe 4 hours to do everything, verysimple project and you only need basic hand tools to do them. I just soaked all the stock exhaust manifold bolts with liqiud wrench the night before and all the bolts came out easy then put the car nice and high on jackstands and put the headers in bolted them up and then put the x-pipe on and hangers and looked at the clock and it had only took me 4 hours to do everything.

Dan