Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust again...

Hey guys...I drive a 1996 Tahoe with the vortec 5.7...I know its not an f-body, but if you read the general discussion forum, you'd know my dilemma...I was thinking about running Hooker long tube headers into a true dual exhaust with some sort of muffler, possibly something like a sweet thunder or powerstick, dumped underneath the truck...My first question is h or x pipe? And my second question is, is it possible to tune out the emissions codes on these motors so I don't have to run cats? I know its easy on the LSx style motor, but is it possible to do that on a truck this old since its the first year of OBDII? Also, any other muffler choices you guys wanna throw out there, please do...I am looking for something deep and ridiculously loud, just not redneck sounding...something demonic....

This is also posted on the performance trucks website, I just want as many opinions as I can get...Thanks...
Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

h pipe 1 chamber flowmaster duh...check with the pcm guys on the MIL situation
Old 02-03-2007, 06:45 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not going to find to many people that are knowledgeable about SBC's and Vortech motors on this site. Same rules apply in picking exhaust for most street driven vehicles. You can run an O2 simulator on your setup, because to my knowledge I don't know if there is a way to tune it out persay.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

i know its an LS1 site, i am just trying to get as many opinions as possible, no one on the truck website really responds...would one chambers sound good on a truck this size? or would i be better with the super40s?
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT's X pipe for the most power and some hooker aerochamber mufflers
Old 02-03-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

do u know anything about the tune tainted?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dont see why it couldnt be tuned out with a mail order tuner like maybe pcmforless bryan did an awesome job on my tune
Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

cool man, thanks, I might have to give them a shout...
Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

could also try Westers or Nelson Performance for the tuning...
Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man before my Camaro I was nothing but a vortec Chevy man. I have had 3 96-99 Chevys with the same 5.7L vortec motor that you are talking about. I have had many different setups, and each one was a little different. What exactly do you want the truck to sound like?

I have ran dual 40 series flows, 2 12" dynomax bullets with and without x pipe. I think that if you went with long tube headers, true duals with and x pipe, and some classic chambers mufflers it would sound AWESOME. I will be honest and say that I liked the flowmaster 40's better than the bullets on my Tahoe, but 1 chambers would prolly sound quite insane as well.

BTW I had WAIT4ME tune my 99 Tahoe and they took out the rear o2's and can clear out a lot of the other codes if you so wish. It is the same as doing it on an LS1 motor so no worries about that.

Last edited by dirtyblackhoe; 02-03-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dirtyblackhoe
Man before my Camaro I was nothing but a vortec Chevy man. I have had 3 96-99 Chevys with the same 5.7L vortec motor that you are talking about. I have had many different setups, and each one was a little different. What exactly do you want the truck to sound like?

I have ran dual 40 series flows, 2 12" dynomax bullets with and without x pipe. I think that if you went with long tube headers, true duals with and x pipe, and some classic chambers mufflers it would sound AWESOME. I will be honest and say that I liked the flowmaster 40's better than the bullets on my Tahoe, but 1 chambers would prolly sound quite insane as well.

BTW I had WAIT4ME tune my 99 Tahoe and they took out the rear o2's and can clear out a lot of the other codes if you so wish. It is the same as doing it on an LS1 motor so no worries about that.
kick *** man, thanks for the tips...no one on the truck site has responded to me yet, so this is very helpful
Old 02-03-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

My fave exhaust setups with stock manifolds and cats, dual 2.5" flowmaster 40 series (originals) with 2.5" tailpipes all the way out the back with 4" tips to the corners. It had a very very deep and mean sound to it. I have never heard a better sounding truck than that setup, especially stock manifolds and with cats..

It was not the loudest truck, but it sounded very refined and definitely deep.

Hit me up on AOL if u want, and what truck forums are you on?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

I am on performancetrucks...the link at the top of the page...I am debating whether or not to get the headers...I think I want rims to complete my setup, so I think I might just try and get a shop to fab an x-pipe for me with no cats and run powersticks dumped under the truck, too many trucks around here have tips out the back, I don't want anyone to see the tips...I added you to my instant messenger, I am SFGodfatha80...hit me up and we can talk if you get a chance...i think I am gonna either go with a Wait4Me tune or Nelsons, whichever comes out cheaper...
Old 02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

after midnight bump for myself...
Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

bedtime bump...
Old 02-04-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

just woke up bump...
Old 02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

any input anyone?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
I am on performancetrucks...the link at the top of the page...I am debating whether or not to get the headers...I think I want rims to complete my setup, so I think I might just try and get a shop to fab an x-pipe for me with no cats and run powersticks dumped under the truck, too many trucks around here have tips out the back, I don't want anyone to see the tips...I added you to my instant messenger, I am SFGodfatha80...hit me up and we can talk if you get a chance...i think I am gonna either go with a Wait4Me tune or Nelsons, whichever comes out cheaper...
I never really saw a big change in putting headers on the vortec 5.7L *might have been due to them being shorties) but any decent shop can cut off the cats and put an x-pipe with powersticks on it. That should sound awesome man. Do it

BTW join www.gmfullsize.com

that is the best site for Fullsize Chevy trucks...I'm the same user name on there....and hit me up anytime on AOL
Old 02-04-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Hey guys, My exhaust is gonna exit, one on each side in front of the rear tires...I am hoping it will echo off people's cars...lol...anyone know a good fabbing shop in the Chicago area? I am willing to drive about 25 miles at most...
Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
That's what she said...

I always wanted a 4x4 Tahoe of that body style. Went mudding in one when I was like 12 years old with like 5 people and it was crazy fun. Thanks for helping this guy out!