Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulley?...Difficult install???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pulley?...Difficult install???

i have done a good bit of searching and at first from what i read it seems simple enough....but i continued to search and now im very iffy on trying to do the install...i dont wanna jack up my timing...or shear the threads on the bolt or do some of the other horror stories ive read....im just wandering if some of u guys could walk me through the install...ill purchase the pulley(within 2 weeks)....
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well on the install....

of course take the front crap out, will give you room...take the belts off...

there are a few little extra tools that will make this process go smoothly....1. is the piece that goes into the start to keep it from turning...2. will be the pulley puller...and 3. will be a good bit of patient...4. id also advise on a new crank bolt...

we just did the pulley on my friends Z when he did his cam.....

its honestly a process of unscrewing the bolt, tighting the crank puller, reposition the puller, unscrew the bolt some more, and tighten the puller....its continous process until it comes out,....every 3 or 4 turns on the puller, wed readjust it....
Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 AM
TECH Resident

hmm im stationed in little rock and for the most part the auto hobby shop on base has had what ive needed so far...soo i guess ill just have to go and ask
Old 03-05-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Resident

well im stationed here in little rock and their auto hobby shop has had everything that i needed so far...but i have done ANY extensive work...so i guess ill have to go up there and see if they have what i need
Old 03-05-2007, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

the puller looks like a three pronged claw that dangles around until put in place...

the part that goes on the starter is about palm size and has two holes for the starter bolts and a couple of teeth for the fly...
Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 AM
On the tree

Starter??? how did how to install a pulley go to the starter?

Go to Advance Auto they have the puller there that is a 3 claw like was suggested. When you look at the center of the stock pulley there are 3 small tabs on the center of the pulley. The pullers claws will need to be positioned here. Use the centering pin on the end of the puller bolt and it will pull the pulley right off.

Before you do this go and source a longer than stock bolt with the same threads. Get some washers to take up some slack and use that to pull the pulley onto the crank snout. this way you dont use the stock bolt and rip the threads out of the end of the crank. If you can get a threaded rod (allthread) in the right specs that will work as well. Get a nut and some washers so you can pull the pulley on.

Once the pulley is bottomed out use the old stock bolt and torque it down to spec, something like 240ft pounds. then remove the old bolt and install the new bolt. Torque it down to 37ft pounds. Then mark the bolt and pulley with a black marker. Now comes the fun part. You need to turn the bolt an additional 120 degree. You will be lucky if you get 90 degree.

It will help it you put the tranny in gear if this is a manual. I am not sure what the auto guys do though.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
Starter??? how did how to install a pulley go to the starter?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

it was something we did to keep the crank from turning...the piece locks the fly in place...i dunno made it easier for us
Old 03-05-2007, 04:11 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by staringback05
it was something we did to keep the crank from turning...the piece locks the fly in place...i dunno made it easier for us

If you're an automatic, you're going to have to hold the crankshaft still somehow.

This is why 6-speeds are better than automatics.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

If you're an automatic, you're going to have to hold the crankshaft still somehow.

This is why 6-speeds are better than automatics.
Simple fix for that is an impact gun. I did it on my A4, no problems what so ever! Impact gun w/ a swivel, new bolt, & GM 3 prong puller worked like a charm. Even easier if you can get it up on a lift.