Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need muffler help real quick

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need muffler help real quick

I'm having duals put on my car right now. The car has been at the shop since monday. After they pulled off the current exhaust and I took it home the guy found out that the flowmaster 1 chambers that I wanted were back ordered, so we have been trying to decide what to do.

Before I decided on the flowmasters because he could order them cheaper I wanted borla xr1s. The guy used to carry magnaflow, and he just found some 4"x20" straight through mufflers he has left there and I've heard they are similar to the borlas.

I listened to some clips on ls1sounds and they sound ok to me in most of the clips, but one makes me question them. It has a funny tone to it for some reason, one I haven't heard with any other mufflers before, and I don't like it. I don't know if its just that camera though, or what. Has anyone else heard that strange tone that is in that clip? What could it be? Is it a noise it really nakes? Finally, what do you think I should do?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exhaust video clips suck first of all.

I realy dont understand what you want to know. Do you want to know what muffler will sound good on your setup? Are you having a y or x pipe setup built?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry, I typed all of that on my dad's phone in a hurry .

I am getting an X-pipe put on. Originally I was having him order Flowmaster 1 chambers to put on it, but apparently he wasn't planning on ordering them until the second day the car was there, and after he already had the entire old exhaust off. Yesterday, the second day, I called him to find out how it was going and if I would be able to pick it up that night. He said they had run into a "snag". The mufflers were on back order... Great... I had already brought my other exhaust back home and everything, so it has to sit there with just open headers.

Anyway, I called him back today to see what my options were and he said he found some left over Magnaflow 4"x20" (he said oval) mufflers.

I will get the sound clip I heard the noise on for you and post it. My question is, how will they sound? I don't like the "tone" of the clip I'll post the link to, but like I said, I don't know if it's the guys camera or not. I don't want it real loud at idle/cruising, but loud at WOT. And I want it deep . Should I just go with the Magnaflows and get it over with?

Thanks again for your help. (they close in a little bit too, and I need to tell him what I want to do before they close so I can get my car back tomorrow....)
Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I havent heard those mufflers evern so im not sure but there are are always mufflers for sale on this site for decent prices and I am sure they could be priority shipped too. I personally love the sound of spiral flows and the flowmaster 1 chambers. Those are the 2 best sounding mufflers for duals IMO.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

These are the clips I was talking about:

http://ls1sounds.com/true_duals/TDs-...peedIncTDs.AVI
http://ls1sounds.com/true_duals/TDs-...ht-driveby.AVI
http://ls1sounds.com/true_duals/TDs-...ht-driveby.AVI

The third one has the most obvious sound to it, but you can hear it in all of them. I don't know if you'll hear what I mean, but it's there. They're all from the same guy though, so like I said, I don't know if it's the camera or what.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds pretty good to me.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

It just has a strange sound to me... Like it has a very muffled sound... mellow maybe? Like you can't really hear the engine on the other end, its just a noise coming out. I don't really know how to explain it...
Old 03-28-2007, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Actually you can hear it really well in that second one too. Its like a "waaaaah" noise instead of a roar.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

They close in just about a half an hour... I need to tell him what I want to do...