Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's successfully quieted down exhaust volume INSIDE the cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's successfully quieted down exhaust volume INSIDE the cabin?

I've got pacesetter ceramic coated longtubes with a dynomax bullet muffler with 3" tips dumped at the rear seats near the trunk. The sound is finally getting to me. It's rediculously loud inside the cabin and I'm wondering if there's some way I can stuff a sound absorbing material in the cabin somewhere to keep the noise OUT? Has anybody successfully done this? I just don't want to switch exhaust. I'm happy with how the car sounds on the outside, just want to change the inside.

I have a lot of sound absorber/deflector foam that is meant for use in home theater applications but can that be used effectively for my situation somehow? Please! I'm desperate!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

I like the car quiet most of the time, this is my daily driver. If I'm racing or driving spirited of course I have to have it loud.

I have longtubes and ORY on a stock catback, with an e-cutout. The stock catback does a great job of keeping things pretty quiet, even with the longtubes. At the flip of a button it goes from mild to wild, lol.

I couldn't take the car being loud ALL THE DAMN TIME.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

i've been thinking of doing dual cutouts right after the x-pipe and having the end of the exhaust run a little further back. i just don't want tips. i like how it looks without 'em.

can i wrap the exhaust tubes in some type of material to keep the sound quieter?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a high flow cat on it, a metallic cat, Or a flow master, when you dont put cats on it, its just loud. I like BW's idea, stick the stock on there which is tame adn e cut out from QTP
Old 03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

if i stick a cat on there with a cutout will i lose any power at all? even the slightest? or will i not even notice a difference?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added sound sound deadening material to the hatch area and it made a huge difference. This was from the backseat to the rear wall including the wheel wells.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

I would go buy some extreme dynamat & put it in under the front seats all the way to the trunk. This would include in the trunk & down in the t-top cubby hole also. Thats should quiet it down quite a bit.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

I've got tsp duals with cutouts behind the X, then sweet thunders under axle out the back. The carpet/insulation/back seats/passenger seat/center console is removed. Mine still doesn't get loud inside unless I'm just heavy on the right foot. At idle and under normal acceleration it's really tame. The engine is still stock internals though.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

i'm going to experiment with sound foam today and see if that quiets down the rumble of the exhaust inside. i swear you can barely even talk or listen to music without blasting it.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Dynamat

you need to Dynamat the area's of car that have the least sound deadening.. such as the doors (believe it or not, this helps with sound from the exhaust) rear trunk and deck.. including the spar tire area... and down the back of the rear seat.. this would be your primary area's of sound coming in..
Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Dynamat

you need to Dynamat the area's of car that have the least sound deadening.. such as the doors (believe it or not, this helps with sound from the exhaust) rear trunk and deck.. including the spar tire area... and down the back of the rear seat.. this would be your primary area's of sound coming in..
Thats sounds like some familiar advice. Also the best advice he has recieved so far.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

IMO you'll get a lot of cabin noise/drone dumping anything b/f the rear end. An ory and catback would be your best bet.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

i like my x-pipe too much to switch to a y.

thanks for the help on sound deadening locations guys! i'll come back later with some results. thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Not to repeat was has already been said but i know for a fact that dynomat or spray in sound deadining applyd from the bach seat to the back of the car and behind the sail panels next to the back seat and the area behind the rear speaker panels/ spare tire area will help tremendously
Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Why not just extend your exhaust out the rear? Dumping the exhaust before the axle is going to be much louder since its right under the cabin. Extending the pipes out the back should help alot.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Holy thread bump I know.... but I was searching and this thread has some good information already plus I wanted to see how the OP did. I have Flowmasters and it sounds great outside and I know they're shown to cause a loss in power but they came on the car. I was thinking about laying down Xtreme Dynamat around my t-top storage area. I know its expensive, but I get it at almost half price.

Where should I put it and how do I remove all the carpet and trim? Avoid breaking tabs, anything else? I plan on covering the t-top trunk area, the flat area above the axle, and the rear seat back. People said the doors help too, what do I do, remove the moisture barrier and just cover whatever part of the door that faces the interior or what?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

i say just do the back.. heres a simple test put that carpet covered flap thing in/up drive around then take it out and drive around.. even thats a big difference
Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bring the exhaust over the axel...that'll help a lot
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A major part of the issue is that the exhaust is pointed down, and actually bounces off the pavement and back at the underside of the car. That is what you are going to be battling in trying to quiet it down. I've read where some guys point the exits to the side to quiet it down.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zealot
Why not just extend your exhaust out the rear? Dumping the exhaust before the axle is going to be much louder since its right under the cabin. Extending the pipes out the back should help alot.
You would think; i have stock manifolds w/ stock CATS w/ a SLP Y-Pipe and Magnaflow exhaust. i sometimes get quite a bit of drone (which my stock SLP Dual-Dual didn't have w/ same setup) in the car, while just cruzin, to the point that i have to pop my ears. It doesn't bother me to much b/c i norm i have system blasting .

Basically what I'm sayin is that it really depends on your total setup. Yes; dumping b/f the rear will put the noise right under you, but extending it to the back might not take it away either.