Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under the Axel True Duals ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Under the Axel True Duals ?

I'm looking at running true duals under the axel on my Twin turbo project, but i'm not quite understanding something. How can you run 3" TD's under the axel, and still leave enough room for rear-end sag when you jack the car up?? especially if you put some sort of bracket in to hold the tips (just like most aftermarket exhausts have, e.g. Borla)

For ppl hwo have done this, have there been major clearance issues?

I saw a picture a while back that had them come under the axel just on each side of the rear pumpkin, then angel up and to the side where the cutouts on a T/A rear bumper are ... looked just like a '03/'04 Cobra exhaust - looked badass... just wondering if i could get some help on this...
Old 04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

my other option is to come off both downpipes, Y into a 4" exhaust all the way back over the axel, and the Y back off to dual tips...
Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

you put 3 bolt style flanges at right before the pipes go under the axles. that way you can unbolt the pipes for rearend sag or if you ever swap the axle/gas tank
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Im thinkn bout tha doing a under axle td system myself and was going to do what lt1 formula suggested. As far as clearance i have read that because one of the lowest point is at our around the rear end that when you hit a speed bump that the car itself will lift up as you go over the bump so the exhaust wouldnt come close.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

You install the duals under the axle when the car in lifted off the wheels, that way the rear end is at max sag when you install them.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by justin quick
Im thinkn bout tha doing a under axle td system myself and was going to do what lt1 formula suggested. As far as clearance i have read that because one of the lowest point is at our around the rear end that when you hit a speed bump that the car itself will lift up as you go over the bump so the exhaust wouldnt come close.
The lowest point of an under the axle setup is still the area near the headers and x junction.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:20 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
You install the duals under the axle when the car in lifted off the wheels, that way the rear end is at max sag when you install them.
If you do it this way, the pipes would have to be way too low. It wouldn't be bad if we didn't have a sway bar hanging down under the axle tubes.

I would build them with 1.5" or so of clearance between the pipes and the sway bar. Mine were much closer than that and never touched it while driving. 6 bolts and the tails would come off if I ever needed to unload the suspension.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I have about 2'' of clearance between my sway bar and exhaust and have'nt had any clearance issues. I used band clamps instead of the three bolt flange though, to many leak issuues with the three bolts over the years.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If you do it this way, the pipes would have to be way too low. It wouldn't be bad if we didn't have a sway bar hanging down under the axle tubes.

I would build them with 1.5" or so of clearance between the pipes and the sway bar. Mine were much closer than that and never touched it while driving. 6 bolts and the tails would come off if I ever needed to unload the suspension.
Wrong, I had mine setup this exact way they dont hang very low at all and like I said my x-junction will hit everytime instead of the axle area. Mine was installed with the car lifted off the wheels, I never hit my back exhaust area.