Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reason for y pipe banging

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reason for y pipe banging

hey guys i just got my exhaust installed( lt's, custom ory and hooker catback) and of course the ypipe is banging against the floorboard.

now i wanted a custom ypipe so the issue might be adressed, because ive read that the pre fab off the shelf pipes tend to bang...

i took it back to the shop that installed it and they bent the pipe a little, but it didnt fix it completely. it helped a bit , but not nearly how its supposed to be.

is this the shops fault? they told me that i need new mounts, transmission mounts to be exact. i read somewhere the only reason the ypipe would bang is because of a poor install job???

Last edited by ls1n00b; 04-03-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

thunder racing sells something to fix that....scroll down and its the mufflex ypipe bump stop hanger
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...&vid=3&pcid=54
Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

mine used to bang too until i got the poly tranny mount but now im worried that the motor mounts move too much which could cause the tranny tail to crack.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6-Speed Terror
mine used to bang too until i got the poly tranny mount but now im worried that the motor mounts move too much which could cause the tranny tail to crack.
so getting poly mounts helped you out? thats what the shop told me to get, but i dont see how it will stop the banging? is it less clerance than the stock mounts?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Well your lucky. The people who installed my exaust didnt fully bolt it up. The one day i was ever going to let my brother drive my car it fell off on the highway while he was going 70. He almost **** a brick.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i got the same problem and its annoying, Yesterday i installed pacesetter headers with their y-pipe and as soon as i started the y-pipe bangs the floorboard, when I do full throttle it bangs the floorboard bad, I dont know what to do, i will probably try to pry the y-pipe down a little bit and see if that works.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Candyredz28
Yeah i got the same problem and its annoying, Yesterday i installed pacesetter headers with their y-pipe and as soon as i started the y-pipe bangs the floorboard, when I do full throttle it bangs the floorboard bad, I dont know what to do, i will probably try to pry the y-pipe down a little bit and see if that works.
that happened to me and when i looked under theres was a nut that somehow worked loose and fell off, i put one back on and it stopped
Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

alot of times it will actually rub on the driver side part of the transmission cross member
Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

What G-Force did for me in this case was cheap, elegant, and effective.

Find a piece of thick (1/8") fire-proof material, about 12"x12" or less. Fold it in half, then in half again. Get a buddy to pull the driver's side of the y-pipe down and wedge the folded material in there. The y-pipe will hold it in place (if it doesn't try to fold it again or get your y-pipe adjusted to not hang so low) and it will keep the y-pipe from banging around.

-Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1n00b
hey guys i just got my exhaust installed( lt's, custom ory and hooker catback) and of course the ypipe is banging against the floorboard.

now i wanted a custom ypipe so the issue might be adressed, because ive read that the pre fab off the shelf pipes tend to bang...

i took it back to the shop that installed it and they bent the pipe a little, but it didnt fix it completely. it helped a bit , but not nearly how its supposed to be.

is this the shops fault? they told me that i need new mounts, transmission mounts to be exact. i read somewhere the only reason the ypipe would bang is because of a poor install job???
Drop it down to the ground and massage it some. You'll never notice a difference in power with it slightly massaged.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Candyredz28
You wont fix a Pacesetter y-pipe that way. Ya gotta take it off and clearance on the tubing where its hitting.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

so getting poly mounts helped you out? thats what the shop told me to get, but i dont see how it will stop the banging? is it less clerance than the stock mounts?
Poly motor mounts will help alot...The tranny wont. Poly mounts keep the motor from flopping around and tweaking up on the driver side to cause the banging.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

ok, i think i will try to order the tranny mount and have the shop put it on, since they said i needed it. if it doesnt fix it, thats the last time ill ever go to that place again.

gforce for a great way to fix it ftw.

also will the ypipe banging cause the car to pull timing?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok, i think i will try to order the tranny mount and have the shop put it on, since they said i needed it. if it doesnt fix it, thats the last time ill ever go to that place again.

gforce for a great way to fix it ftw.

also will the ypipe banging cause the car to pull timing?
Yes It will.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:11 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
What G-Force did for me in this case was cheap, elegant, and effective.

Find a piece of thick (1/8") fire-proof material, about 12"x12" or less. Fold it in half, then in half again. Get a buddy to pull the driver's side of the y-pipe down and wedge the folded material in there. The y-pipe will hold it in place (if it doesn't try to fold it again or get your y-pipe adjusted to not hang so low) and it will keep the y-pipe from banging around.

-Mike
That's pretty much what I did. I had the old "fire blanket" from the underside of my hood on the '94. I cut a piece of it, folded it a few times, and wedged it between the Y-pipe and floorboard. Problem solved.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine use to bang also...shawshank redemption movie style banging..., but with time, the small "sagging" affect has solved that problem.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine did that too.... but i just heated the y pipe with a torch and BFHM it into shape. fixed!!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

yeah it stopped the banging but when i took the oem tranny mount it had torn in half. i think motor mounts will do you better that is my next thing to do cuz my motor shakes quite a bit
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Poly motor mounts will help alot...The tranny wont. Poly mounts keep the motor from flopping around and tweaking up on the driver side to cause the banging.
That right there will fix 99% of all peoples banging problems. The trany mount is minimal unless yours is totaly gone and is just sitting there broke etc...
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

nice ok cool guys, poly engine mounts and tranny mounts are on its way.. i stuck a bit of heater hose and a clamped it in between there and it stopped the banging. temporary fix FTW

Quick Reply: reason for y pipe banging