Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College Kids + Headers = Too Much Money...So I Bought QTP's???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default College Kids + Headers = Too Much Money...So I Bought QTP's???

for those of you that don't know, i finally broke down and bought headers. it was completely spur of the moment and random as i found out QTP was having a sale, so i jumped on it. i ordered them on thursday from thunder racing (as the price was unadvertised and not listed on their website). i was told that they should ship out to me in about two weeks. imagine how surprised i was when i came home from work to this:

ooo, i wonder what's inside? who wants to see? i do!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Resident

these suckers are big!

and i'm really small

Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Resident

what time is it? time to put these in the garage for a few months

Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SWEET!!! Congrats.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

lucky..i love thow headers.. sooo purdy!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Resident

i don't know why i just jumped on these. it was funny. i heard QTP was having a sale for the month of march - i found out on march 29th i looked over my finances. i just wrote a check for $8,100 to pay off all my college loans (i'm debt free). i have about $400 in tax returns coming back to me. QTP was having a sale for $735, $65 off list. i was talking myself into buying them. this was a no-no. i didn't want to spend the money. so what was the logical way to get talked out of making a big purchase? ask mom her opinion!

mom tried to talk me into it she said i never spend my money, i don't have any bills, i start my new full-time job the next week...why not?

this wasn't the answer i was looking for. so i asked grandma. she said the same thing! buy it. you're gonna buy it anyway eventually, may as well get the sale. so i pulled the trigger.

why QTP's? why not buy pacesetters since i lack the funds? because i never intend to sell this car, and i want to do this only once and do it right. i wanted stainless, and i got QTP's because they show the biggest gains due to the velocity spike in the collectors (HVMC's). they'll be sitting in the garage for a while until i have the funds to get new O2's, plugs/wires, single chambers, magnaflow stainless bullet cats and money for a custom TD system...so they'll be there for a while...but it's coming. it's coming along

special thanks to thunder racing for giving me the discount. i've bought from them 3 times now and every time has been a pleasure. also, an EXTRA special thanks from QTP for the great header, the great price and the impressively fast shipping. this is my 2nd QTP product (i have their stainless cutout) and they make beautiful products.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Resident

by the way - these are emissions equipped headers for an '01-'02 camaro/firebird. to the experts: do these look like the right set? they look right to me, but these are the first set of LS1 f-body headers i've physically held in my hands.

i plan to clean these up over the weekend as they're pretty gritty around the edges. i already have the steel wool, terry cloth and mother's metal polish waiting
Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great, i will be installing mine this weekend.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

looks awsome! i just got mine in today too! suckers are heavy but beautiful lol, they forget your stickers?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by mpsoldier
looks awsome! i just got mine in today too! suckers are heavy but beautiful lol, they forget your stickers?
i got the stickers. i don't really know what i'm gonna do with them. i can't bear to put a sticker on my car as it just screams IMO but i suppose it's much better to send stickers than not as most people will appreciate them. hey, they're quality stickers, i'll admit

yea man they are heavy as ****! i was carrying the entire box myself up my garage steps and squeezing into my doorway. i wasn't expecting them to be that heavy. i mean they were probably only like 50 lbs, but for basically just tubes, that's a lot to carry by yourself in an awkward box up a flight of stairs.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you think they're heavy, wait til you take the exhaust manifolds off the car. i hope you don't use those gaskets. nice purchase
Old 04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
if you think they're heavy, wait til you take the exhaust manifolds off the car. i hope you don't use those gaskets. nice purchase
thanks to you and everyone else for the compliments. i don't plan to use those gaskets, i plan to get a set of GM OEM gaskets. you'd think for $800, they'd send you steel gaskets you can't have it all i guess.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Nice job, finally

Get 'em installed, just get some new OEMs. Good luck!

-J
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i got the stickers. i don't really know what i'm gonna do with them. i can't bear to put a sticker on my car as it just screams IMO but i suppose it's much better to send stickers than not as most people will appreciate them. hey, they're quality stickers, i'll admit

yea man they are heavy as ****! i was carrying the entire box myself up my garage steps and squeezing into my doorway. i wasn't expecting them to be that heavy. i mean they were probably only like 50 lbs, but for basically just tubes, that's a lot to carry by yourself in an awkward box up a flight of stairs.

i like stickers, but i won't put them on my car either. I was thinking about making like a posterboard or something like the carshow guys have, with pictures of installs and stickers to go along with it.

and yeah lol, i had a awkward time getting that box up my narrow apartment stairs, nearly falling down backwards.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by mpsoldier
i like stickers, but i won't put them on my car either. I was thinking about making like a posterboard or something like the carshow guys have, with pictures of installs and stickers to go along with it.

and yeah lol, i had a awkward time getting that box up my narrow apartment stairs, nearly falling down backwards.
at least you'd have an excuse for getting the shop to install your headers. "i can't lay down under my car. i threw my back out carrying the headers up the steps all by myself like a real man"
Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 AM
That's what she said...

Believe it or not, I think those headers will turn out to be lighter than the manifolds.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

Congrats, Chaco!!! Sweet looking headers!

I bought mine from Summit the last week of the sale, and they came 3 days later!! (weekend included!!) But I sympathize on the "sittin in the garage" part of the story. Im in Italy until early May... I havent even seen the BOX in person yet . Oh well. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

The other cool part is, everyone who got in on the sale has been posting their ??'s already, so i'm learning from their experiences!!! life is good.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase! They do look beautiful. I wouldn't use steel wool on them though. In my experience, the wool will make too many scratches which can be a pain to polish out.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
by the way - these are emissions equipped headers for an '01-'02 camaro/firebird. to the experts: do these look like the right set? they look right to me, but these are the first set of LS1 f-body headers i've physically held in my hands.
Yes. All you need to do is compare the two AIR inlet ports on the top of the headers with those found on the top of your stock manifolds, and looking at your pics, they're both there. Other than those two things (for an '01 and '02) there isn't anything else... except cats and post-cat oxygen sensor ports... but who uses those?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Mine oughta be in today. I'd like to know what Y pipe most of you QTP guys decide to go with. So far I'm planning on the Hooker stainless one. QTP, Hooker, Jethot, Pacesetter, Mufflex, and Kooks supposedly all fit each other.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah as my sig states i am still saving they look so nice. As soon as the grass start to really grow and i can get my lawn bizz going again ill have a set.