Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Currently runnin longtubes with stock catback, sorry for the gay question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currently runnin longtubes with stock catback, sorry for the gay question

Right now im runnin Pacesetter LTs and ORY and runnin the stock catback. Was just gonna run open y and figure out something later, but then noticed that the stock catback works with the PS ORY so i hooked it all up.

Not sure if i have the dual/dual muffler on my car or not. Any easy way to tell?

Anyways, if i were to just swap out the muffler, would that be as good as getting a catback? I figure pipe to the muffler is pipe to the muffler, but then i think well, 3 inch catback is different.

What do you guys think? I dont really want to do a cutout because it just makes it crappy riding in the car.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

the muffler is pretty much all of the restriction in the stock exhaust. So, yes a muffler swap would be almost like getting a catback.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OR leave all the stock stuff on and make it kind of like a sleeper and stick an e-cutout on the end of the y pipe
Old 04-05-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by '99bluez
the muffler is pretty much all of the restriction in the stock exhaust. So, yes a muffler swap would be almost like getting a catback.

Well if this is true then awesome!

And like i said, i dont want a cutout, but i was gonna go for the sleeper idea. Probably just get myself a Hooker or something, or say screw it and throw a magnaflow on there. What other kinds of regular style mufflers (i.e. not bullets) are good?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

hooker is pretty quiet. The electric cutout idea is great, because it's basically a volume control. just crack it a little.... or unleash the gates of hell and open it all the way!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maganaflow is also another good one to consider.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's a Dual/Dual, it flows pretty good and it's stainless. That's the same setup I'm going with, LTs, ORY and D/D. The easiest way to tell if it's a D/D is to post a picture. If it *IS* D/D, in its ORIGINAL condition, it's worth some money, maybe more than a complete Magnaflow cat-back.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are still more gains than just the muffler from the bigger piping of a catback.

The electric cut-out early in the I-pipe will give a bigger gain than a muffler swap and allow you to be stealthy when you want.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say keep the stock exhaust and add an electric cutout.

Post some pics of your exhaust, might be able to ID it.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Ill go and get a pic...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Ive come to my own conclusion that its not a dual/dual

Old 04-05-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll agree with that assessment. But you could do worse than run a cutout with the stock exhaust...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have QTP LTs and the dual e-cutout QTP ORY into the stock cat back. Great sleeper with them closed, with them open, you couldn't possibly shout above them at WOT. Sounds like a funny car at idle.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Well i found a local loudmouth for 275. Pretty sure im jsut going to say screw it and jump on that. If i feel like sleepering it up and makin some money, ill just throw the stock catback back on, especially when i get my cam

Oh and i dont wanna go the cutout route because its just not fun to drive around with it open, and im too cheap the buy an electic one to open/close at will. If im gonna spend 200 ill just buy a catback. At least with the catback, its loud but its going out the back and not under the car where its rattling my interior apart.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Whoa, wait a minute. That loudmout will sound like crap with LT's and an ORY. My opinion but it is shared with many members here. DO some research, hooker is a great brand and cheap too, look into that. ALso the Magnaflow is fairly cheap and a great product. Just my .02
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by white_WS6ta
Whoa, wait a minute. That loudmout will sound like crap with LT's and an ORY. My opinion but it is shared with many members here. DO some research, hooker is a great brand and cheap too, look into that. ALso the Magnaflow is fairly cheap and a great product. Just my .02
I agree
Old 04-05-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Dont want Hooker had it on my 97 with LTs. Wasnt anything special at all.

Dont like Magnaflow too poppy sounding high in the RPMs (dad has it on his WS6).

Im not the biggest fan of the loudmouth, but the opportunity is presenting itself so im gonna snag it. And ive heard it with LTs and i dont think it sounds THAT bad, but like i said, im not the biggest fan either.

Also, not 100% sure, but i think this Loudmouth is the modular one, so if indeed it does end up sounding like total ***, ill just get a LM2 reso and swap it out. Thats the worst case scenario tho, cause if i did that, then ill be right about the price of what a new catback would cost.

Not a COMPLETE noobass, just never had any experience with stock fbod exhaust, my 97 had a catback already on it when i bought it.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly, man, a cutout will sound alot like the loudmouth you are gonna buy. Some people say a cutout sounds just like a loudmouth. Plus, the cutout you can close if you get tired of it. If you end up getting tired of the LM, then you are out 275 bucks. Just my recommendation, but if you think you'll be happy with the LM then go for it. Have you tried www.ls1sounds.com, there is alot of clips on there of tons of diff. exhaust combos?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I still think thats gonna be too loud for you. You say you don't want a cutout cuz its too loud to drive with all the time, what do you think longtubes + ORY + loudmouth will sound like?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Cutout = dumps underneath the car. Loudmouth = exits out the back. Theres a difference, i know. I put the Hooker on my 97 and was extremely dissapointed, so i had a cutout welded in. Not as bad as runnin open ypipe (HORRIBLE in the car vibes), but it was still pretty vibey

Ls1sounds.com is good, but not great. Most peoples cameras distort the sound. It helps, but people throw around the link like its gonna 100% decide for someone what to get.

Not happy with LM? Well im sure someone here will buy it