Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflex people come inside...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mufflex people come inside...

I must say that I am intrigued by this exhaust system. I think it was MM98 that got me thinking about it after I saw his pics. So I have a few questions/need suggestions:

1. You probably must know that I am going with a pacesetter Y pipe (retarted...maybe...ground clearance is my biggest issue though). Does the 3.5" or 4" need anything to connect to a 3" y pipe?

2. Which muffler has the best sound...and preferably isnt the loudest? It seems like everyone loves the spintech mufflers.

3. Who else besides Mufflex, Speed Inc., and Tbyrne sells 'em?

4. Would I be better off having one custom made for the price?

5. How well do they fit?

6. From what I can tell, the single exit design is adjustable (as far as how it mounts up and down). How visible is it from the rear?

I've done about as much research as I can on this thing and I havent seen much info on them at all. I will say that I havent heard anything negative about them.

Feel free to post some pictures/sound clips/info on them. THANKS!!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pacesetter ory.... it was the hardest part of the header install.....I don't like the way it fits so I'm going to have a custom one built
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Whats wrong with the way it fits? I just figured that since its a two piece deal it would be a million times easier that the 4 piece TSP kit. There shouldnt be too much adjustment with the pacesetter piece...did you get the one piece or two piece y pacesetter?

Also, will y pipes that fit hooker headers also fit pacesetters? Reason I ask is because of the Mufflex Y that is made for hooker headers.

Last edited by KurtRardin; 04-09-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mufflex makes several different systems, some of which have a 4" intermediate pipe inlet to fit their y-pipe, and some have a reducer on the end of the intermediate pipe to slide onto the factory y-pipe.

If you do NOT want loud, stay away from the Flowmaster single in/out. Its by far the loudest, and the most aggressive sounding. The SpinTech single in/dual out is more refined, and a lot quieter - I've had both.

Custom make one? Who? How? Most shops can't mandrel bend, much less work with 4" pipe. That and the mufflers they use are not available for sale separately, even by the manufacturer - period.

Fitment is VERY tight. It will not be a simple affair, as the pipes will need to be perfectly positioned to fit right, and that takes time and patience. You can save a lot of time installing the system on a suspension lift or by lifting the car by the rear axle to load the suspension.

How visible is it? TA's hide them better than the Camaros do, and when properly fit to the car, they look no different than any 3" system.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Could it be more difficult to install than any texas speed y pipe?

This is good info. I take it the 3.5" system is the one meant to bolt up to factory exhaust?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Does the mufflex tailpipe go past the bottom of the bumper much...to look like a 6 cylenders exhaust?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

mine is the 4 piece kit.....it was a pain
Old 04-09-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

i didnt know pacesetter even made a 4 piece y pipe...I thought the first one was one piece, and the improved one was a two piece. TSP makes a 4 piece.

So does anyone have a mufflex experience?...or pictures perhaps? Its amazing how few pictures even exist of such an expensive exhaust.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can have a 4 inch custom made but you would probably have to buy all the bends to have it made. I was going to have a custom 4" setup made but I've put it on the back burner for now. Finding the bends you need is the hard part but if you look hard enough you can find them.

I have to disagree with Marc85Z28, you can get the mufflers seperate in the 4". If you look on their website you can get the part # and find the muffler through one of their distributers.

I haven't heard the spintech or Flowmaster in person but I have heard the Magnaflow 4" muffler and I liked the way it sounded. It's quieter than I thought it would be
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Good to know.

Does my desired setup sound like a retarted idea?? The pacesetter y pipe has terrible reviews, but its about the only y pipe that i know of that actually is known for its ground clearance. I wonder if I am going to have any issues getting a pacesetter y to fit into a mufflex 3.5" or 4" ??
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I have to disagree with Marc85Z28, you can get the mufflers seperate in the 4". If you look on their website you can get the part # and find the muffler through one of their distributers.
I'm going by what I know from when I ordered my system, nearly 5 years ago. So I just checked their site, and WOW have they expanded. Still could not find what you're talking about though...

To answer KurtRardin: The SpinTech dual out that I originally bought stuck out past the bumper on both my 85Z and my 00TA. It looked bad, was REALLY heavy, and sounded quite tame. So I swapped mufflers with someone (switching to the single out Flowmaster) and the single angled pipe tucks very nicely under my Camaro - like a stock 6 cylinder does, but slightly bigger
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have any pictures of it? Can you move it up and down, so you can tuck it really high up inside your bumper...so you cant see it at all?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

This thread really needs some pictures
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Do you have any pictures of it? Can you move it up and down, so you can tuck it really high up inside your bumper...so you cant see it at all?
No pictures, but I could get some if really necessary - although it would be on a 3rd gen car, not a 4th gen.

And I'm not really sure where you got the idea that this thing is adjustable. Its no more adjustable than any other exhaust... changing the position of one component affects all the others.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

I think i saw somewhere where a person selling a mufflex system talked about being able to move th pipe up and down. Like if you were to turn the pipe on the exit side of the muffler.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the Single outlet Flowmaster and the Dual outlet Spintech with oval tips. First and foremost....The flowmaster hands down sounded better. With cats and stock manifolds the Spintech was super tame, nice sound really but very very quiet. The flowmaster was not only louder, but honestly the sound quality was fantastic.(again with Manifolds+cats) My friends and I really enjoyed the sound, the only issue i had was that it was a single outlet and didn't look right to me with the cutouts on the bumper. I ditched both versions of the mufflex because i was tired of adjusting the exhaust over and over to get the rattling to stop. It was alright with the single outlet muffler(probably 30lbs lighter then the spintech/dual). With the Spintech dual setup i gave up, i could not get the rattling to ever stop for any extended period of time. For comparisons sake, my 2000 T/A with the Mufflex, single outlet flowmaster was louder then my friends 2002 Z-28 with Magnaflow when he had Manifolds+cats, and about the same as my 87 Iroc with headers/Hooker catback. The spintech was Quieter then the same 2002 Z-28 with Magnaflow catback, and quieter then almost any other aftermarket exhaust I heard. It was very stealth but it did sound nice. ( no complaints except the volume itself). I hope this info helps.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Good info. How do you think the spintech would sound on a LT ORY car? Loud? I know the flowmaster would be loud. Loud isnt exactly what i am going for. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Good info. How do you think the spintech would sound on a LT ORY car? Loud? I know the flowmaster would be loud. Loud isnt exactly what i am going for. Thanks for the input.
I think the Spintech with the ORY/Headers would sound very well actually. I did like the sound. Also please don't be mistaken when i talk about the volume, my days of wanting stuff super loud are over. The Mufflex with the Flowmaster, was not Loud....it was a nicer sound but loud-er then the spintech....far from loud annoying. It had a very clean sound, deep enough to sound good, and the tone was perfect....with Headers/ORY it probably would have been too loud for my tastes honestly. I do believe the Spintech would sound well with the ORY, and most likely not overly loud.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome, well I've got a hotcam goin in here soon too, so that will just add to the sound.
This is the desired setup (from MM98)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=mufflex

Im not really keen on the 6 cylender look (even though i havent seen any pictures of an installed mufflex system yet!!!) but i like MM98s setup A LOT!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Is there much drone associated with Mufflex exhausts? If its a deep, bigblock drone...but not all that loud then I can deal with that.

Quick Reply: Mufflex people come inside...