Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

<<<<<<Tips on widening the y-pipe?>>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default <<<<<<Tips on widening the y-pipe?>>>>>>

So i bought the pacesetter and tsp catted y and i was wondering if you guys have any tips when it comes to widening the y pipe to receive the headers. Could a muffler shop do it for cheap/free? I have the means to do it but its my first time installing headers so i want them to fit right and the install to go smoothly. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by 01CamaroZ28; 04-10-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i had an exhaust shop expand the end of the y-pipe so they would slip over the header collector. cost was free just bring a header with you to make sure they fit well.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap does not = Quality. If you want it done right take it to a good shop, if they gotta cut it up to fit, they should be at least TiG welding eveything,
Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you really need to have it widened? Mine slipped right over the headers without any problem. Now, you will have fun getting the rest of it lined up

You should do some poly motor mounts now, and THROW AWAY THE U CLAMPS!!!!! get more band clamps for the joints, otherwise you'll be stuck with crimped pipes that dont want to adjust any more without a lot of force!

When you go to adjust it, draw a line accross the joints in the pipe (with a sharpie marker) so you can see how much you've adjusted it, or that you're adjusting in the right direction, or if you want to go back to where you had the pipe before you can see exactly where you started.

FYI, i had to get a mufflex bumpstop AND poly motor mounts to keep my tsp catted y from banging.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. They won't have to cut anything. I just need the y pipe widened a tad in order for the headers to fit right inside it. The y pipe fits together perfectly. I am also putting in poly mounts and band clamps as well as the bosch o2's so no splicing here! prolly gonna put in some ngk's and a new felpro gasket instead of reusing the old ones or using the paper gasket. I'm not trying to go cheap i just want to get it done right the first time. I have also heard not to put plugs in when youre doing the install. should i hold off?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

I did my plugs then. I still dont understand why you need to have the pipe widened. It should already be wide enough for the headers to fit inside.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See thats the thing. Its not. I've tried. I know im putting it together correctly because i have a diagram of how it fits together.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Thats very strange. Mine didnt even come with a diagram. Heck, maybe I put it together wrong and thats why I cant get any decent clearance out of it, lol.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol...it is possible. I guess ill call around to the muffler shops tom. and see whats what.