Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which longtubes have the most ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which longtubes have the most ground clearance?

I've been doing some research and can't find a definite answer.

I have the SLP longtubes and I hate them because they hang so low. If I didn't have plans on lowering the car than I would keep them...but I really want to lower it and before I do I need new headers. I would like to keep LTs but which ones from your experiances give you the most ground clearance. I want to at least put the pro kit on it, but I would LOVE to do sportlines. Are there any LTs I can put on the car with sportlines and get decent ground clearance or would I need to go with Mids?

Please help with some feedback...I have been researching for along time.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Dynatech Supermaxx's have extremely good ground clearance and the Y-pipe tucks under nice too. I only had small issue here and there with large speedbumps after I lowered the car. I can still go over average speedbumps with no issues. Love em!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

pacesetters with ory!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Through the pictures I have seen, IMO Kooks and dynatech supermaxx have the best clearance....but i'm a noob
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Resident

all LONGTUBES have roughly the same ground clearance with the exception of SLP's that hang incredibly low. the problem is the y-pipe. this is why it's useless to get mac mids. it's not the header that's the lowest part on any of the setups - it's the y-pipe. this means mac mids are prone to all the same issues any longtube is since the y-pipe is the lowest point in all the setups. mac mids usually tuck up nicer because i believe they have a 2.5" y-pipe instead of a 3" y-pipe, but so what? you can get a custom 2.5" y-pipe made and have the same or better clearance than mac mids without sacrificing the horsepower macs leave on the table.

for y-pipe setups, it's been mentioned already that kooks and dynatech's seems to tuck up the best. the new american racing kits seem to be promising, and so are the stainless works kits as they neck to 2.5" and will likely give you the same or better clearance than mac mids with better gains and MUCH better quality.

if i were in your shoes, i'd get QTP headers and have a custom y-pipe fabricated. for lowered applications, it's never the best idea to have a pre-made, mass-produced y-pipe under there. get one suited for your application. think about it: kooks wants nearly $600 for their catted y-pipe. yea, it tucks well, but do you know how much cheaper you can make your own custom y-pipe that'll tuck up even better? just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard Pacesetters but I'm kinda nervous about those because I had a bad experiance with the fitment with these on my 3rd gen. But everybody says to go with them and for the price these seem good. I'm also kinda on a budget...any other input? Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hookers and Jet Hots, Their y pipes have a couple of places where the top of the pipe has been flattened so they can tuck up tighter to the floor boards.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with chocotaco
Old 04-22-2007, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

pacesetters
Old 04-22-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hookers
Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

What's up my fellow Chucktown brotha? It's "Los". I'm in the same boat, and I'm about to buy some ceramic coated Pacesetter LT's and TSP catted Y. They seem to tuck well. I feel totally comfortable running the pacesetters and I'm very finicky with my car. Pacesetters seem like the best bang for the buck right now for me. If I was going to go stainless it would be kooks. Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
all LONGTUBES have roughly the same ground clearance with the exception of SLP's that hang incredibly low. the problem is the y-pipe. this is why it's useless to get mac mids. it's not the header that's the lowest part on any of the setups - it's the y-pipe. this means mac mids are prone to all the same issues any longtube is since the y-pipe is the lowest point in all the setups. mac mids usually tuck up nicer because i believe they have a 2.5" y-pipe instead of a 3" y-pipe, but so what? you can get a custom 2.5" y-pipe made and have the same or better clearance than mac mids without sacrificing the horsepower macs leave on the table.

for y-pipe setups, it's been mentioned already that kooks and dynatech's seems to tuck up the best. the new american racing kits seem to be promising, and so are the stainless works kits as they neck to 2.5" and will likely give you the same or better clearance than mac mids with better gains and MUCH better quality.

if i were in your shoes, i'd get QTP headers and have a custom y-pipe fabricated. for lowered applications, it's never the best idea to have a pre-made, mass-produced y-pipe under there. get one suited for your application. think about it: kooks wants nearly $600 for their catted y-pipe. yea, it tucks well, but do you know how much cheaper you can make your own custom y-pipe that'll tuck up even better? just my opinion.
In most cases thats true...but not with my SLPs. I always hit the passenger side collector. I have no scrapes on the Y itself, just the header.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Comin' Thunder
What's up my fellow Chucktown brotha? It's "Los". I'm in the same boat, and I'm about to buy some ceramic coated Pacesetter LT's and TSP catted Y. They seem to tuck well. I feel totally comfortable running the pacesetters and I'm very finicky with my car. Pacesetters seem like the best bang for the buck right now for me. If I was going to go stainless it would be kooks. Just my opinion, hope it helps.
Hey whats up man? How's everything going for you and that hawk?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Forgot to mention, you could go with a setup like mine....revalved Bilstein HD's, GC coilover kit and springs. I can raise or lower the car in the front and back, so ground clearance is not an issue for me. Just a thought. Suspension is $$$ but I wanted to have the flexibility I needed. My Hawk is slightly lower than stock, but in no way slammed. You'll be fine as long as you don't plan on slamming your SS and don't have SLP's. Of course with any lowering kits.......it's all about angles to keep from scraping those pretty LT's!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Things are going well. I just noticed your post and wanted to try to help. I'm actually looking to buy my headers no later than June. I just saw Texas Speed has a weekend sale going on.....pacesetter LT's $379 (or so) and TSP catted Y for $300. I've got to get cats, because being in the military they can move me to states that have strict emissions laws. They just told me that I'd be moving this summer. SUCKS. I love Charleston. I will be going with the pacesetters though....FO SHO!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

My Kooks tuck up better than my stock exhaust did. Haven't scraped them yet and I've dealt with some steep inclines, but I am stock height as well.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
In most cases thats true...but not with my SLPs. I always hit the passenger side collector. I have no scrapes on the Y itself, just the header.
i know. my first sentence says "with the exception of SLP's as they hang incredibly low"
Old 04-23-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

i lost a half of and inch with my pacesetter and ORY! So damn good! I have never scraped And have been over tons of speed bumps and lived in hawaii for 3 years with some of the worst roads and hills everywhere so damn good clearence
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have installed kooks on and QTP's on tons of cars and the y-pipe hangs alittle low! Had to beat the car out of the bottom of the car so we could move it up a little for more clearence!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
i lost a half of and inch with my pacesetter and ORY! So damn good! I have never scraped And have been over tons of speed bumps and lived in hawaii for 3 years with some of the worst roads and hills everywhere so damn good clearence
Have you had any problems with the ORY banging on your car like said before?

It sounds like I'll probably go with Pacesetters...I would like Kooks but I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. Thanks again guys.