Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping + loss of power under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping + loss of power under acceleration

I'm currently experiencing some random poppping at idle, and lots of popping and power cut to like 30% under hard acceleration (50% or more throttle). The feeling at full throttle is like I have hit the rev limiter, and there is just nothing more for me to get.

Two weeks ago I completed a tranny swap (RPM Transmission), and prior to the swap I had zero of these issues, (today this was the 1st time driving since the swap). At first I thought that we may have forgot to put one or both o2 sensors back in, but after checking they are indeed connected. Other than O2 and transmission sensors, the only other pieces that were removed/re-installed are intake, iat sensor, maf, and exhaust. I double checked and everything is back in place, does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

TIA
Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

popping?

change plugs and wires.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Get a tune.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

I need a tune pretty badly, but even with the cam and no tune I was good for about 700miles. Now all of the sudden it is like I'm getting fuel cutoff midway through the revs, very similar to hitting the rev limiter.

Changing plugs and wires doesn't make much sense to me as the car ran 100 times better last time I started her up.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

check the grounds on the back of the drivers side head.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any SEC lights? Check the MAF meter. Had a problem like this with my brothers car and it turned out to be a bad MAF meter.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Popping?
check for any exhaust leaks, that will cause a popping sound. It will also cause your car to run like crap, sense any leaks in the exhaust will cause flase o2 sensor readings and scew your fuel mixtures.
You didn't state which parts of the exhaust were removed, but you might not be getting a good seal somewhere now.
I had a cracked header that was leaking once, it caused the same symptoms.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll do a lil more playing in the garage tomorrow. MAF is definitely a possibility, just odd that it woudl go on me all the sudden.

As for the exhaust, basically everything after the collectors was removed (as 1 piece). I run 2.5" after collectors to an X pipe, then to dual cats, then two magnaflow's...it all removes as 1 piece.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

I replaced the plugs, removed/reinstalled the exhaust, put some heat shielding type material around the fuel lines where they come close to the headers....and she ran like a champ on the dyno last Saturday

Quick Reply: Popping + loss of power under acceleration