Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock water pump vs electric water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock water pump vs electric water pump

Just wondering, how much does a stock water pump flow as in Gallons per minute vs an electric pump? Also how much rwhp does going to an electric pump get you? I looked at one brand and they said they flow 55GPM so im just curious

thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump...
Old 04-28-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it doesnt matter, electric should be for racing not a street car. i know they make them for the street but is it worth the effort to convert the pulley system. just my opinion
Old 04-28-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The street version does use the factory pulley system.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same question. I can not find anything that states the flow rate of the stock ls1 pump. I know it varies with RPM, but I'd still like to know. I road race a lot and want to be sure that if I switch to the electric that I won't be losing flow rate at 5-6k rpm, which I am at a good bit of the time at my local course.

Anyone have the technical capacities of the stock water pump?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Launching!

19gpm at 3500rpm only test result i have ever seen
Old 05-23-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

is it even worth the money for a h/c daily driver to switch to electric?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

well if you look here it shows a dyno test that gained 6hp from an electric pump. and that was over the cam driven stock setup on an LT1. so a pulley driven unit like the LS1 would probably gain a little more.

55gpm should be more than enough to keep your engine cool on a road race. besides, when the engine is at lower rpm...even for a short time...it will still be flowing 55gpm and should cool it back down faster if the temps did climb.

if it wasn't so damn expensive....i'd look into it more
Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a Meziere in my street/track car.

Pro's: Can run the pump w/ car off for cooling or to prime the coolant system when filling or changing fluid. Better flow @ low RPM. Minor increase in HP. Best feature is having the option of spraying the radiator w/ CO2 or nitrous & turning just the pump on to cool her down @ the track. There is no re-routing of the pulley system.

Con's.: Be aware; I had to increase idle speed to keep the battery @ a good charging level @ idle because of the drain from the electric water pump. Anytime the key is on w/ engine off, the pump runs unless it's unplugged. This makes reading codes or any type of programming or diagnostics a pain. You're either draining the battery or unplugging & plugging in the water pump.

Have had it installed just over a year w/ less than 1,200 miles on the car during that time; I'd estimate that the pump has been used for approximately 60 hours or so of a rated 500 hour life & have had zero issues w/ the pump itself. I'm strongly considering going back to a stock water pump so I can run a lower idle speed.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Switching to an electric pump is good for around 6-8 HP. It'll cost around 500 bucks to do it. Dont worry about overheating the electric ones will flow plenty to keep the car cool enough .. All you have to decide is 500.00 worth 7 HP, maybe if your gonna be a full drag car ??
Old 05-26-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

an EWP should definitely flow enough to keep your engine cooler than what it is running now-espescially if you have/get an UDP which will slow down your factory water pump. I ran about 5-7 degrees cooler when I swapped to an EWP and never had any problems with charging or running the battery down while running the pump with the engine off while reading codes/writing to the VCM, and I don't have an Optima either. I was surprised at the noticeable SOTP gain after the EWP too. To give you an idea of how good it flows, at idle, at 80 ambient temp, with the fans on, the coolant temp will drop down to 163 when the thermostat closes. Not that you would want to run that cool, but I don't think you can get close to that with the way a stock pump flows

Quick Reply: Stock water pump vs electric water pump