Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

obx LT's - swap resonators with cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obx LT's - swap resonators with cats

I'm going to probably be getting the obx headers off ebay in a few months. They come with resonators. I assume that this will be really loud with my borla exhaust.

I do not want rasp, or the smell, so i'm thinking about getting a pair of magnaflow cats. I've done a few searches and they seem like they are good cats. They are universal right -just 3" ones right? Not LS1 specific?

I want to put them right after the LT's in place of the resonators. Is this the best spot? Should i just install the system w/ the resonators and then have a shop weld the cats in place? OR should i put the LT's on and drive to a shop w/ open headers and have them put it together. How much do you guys think this will run me? I assume since its just some welding it won't be more than $100. I'm open to all ideas. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a better idea. put the headers in with the resonators. drive around for a day or 2 and see how you like it then decide if you want the cats or not
Old 04-29-2007, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
heres a better idea. put the headers in with the resonators. drive around for a day or 2 and see how you like it then decide if you want the cats or not

yea i was thinking about doing that. But if i did that setup i would need o2 sims for the back right? Would i be able to run a few days without sims to see if i like the sound.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea, the only thing sims do is tell the pcm theres cats and theyre working so no sES code. hell if i were you id say **** sims and just get a pcm tune and get more power for the same price and ditch all that emissions junk
Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

yea, the only thing sims do is tell the pcm theres cats and theyre working so no sES code. hell if i were you id say **** sims and just get a pcm tune and get more power for the same price and ditch all that emissions junk
I'll hopefully be getting a tune a few months after the LT's, if i can get the $$ together. So besides the SES the car will run fine w/o sims? I don't mind the SES as mine has been on for a while - egr delete. I think i will take your advice and just see how it sounds w/o the cats.

But if i do end up adding cats - should i get them welded in place of the resonators?

Will the resonators be quieter than a regular ory?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea it will be quieter. if you get cats, ditch the resonators. the SES light will be the only thing happening, there will be no loss of eprformance or anything like that. jsut the SES shining ever so bright at night
Old 04-29-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

yea it will be quieter. if you get cats, ditch the resonators. the SES light will be the only thing happening, there will be no loss of eprformance or anything like that. jsut the SES shining ever so bright at night
ok cool - the resonators will only help with the sound though right? It will still smell like gas w/ resonators more than w/ cats
Old 04-30-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Good luck on the fit and customer service.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
Good luck on the fit and customer service.
yea i know thats a downside, but i need the stainless and don't feel like dropping 1300 for kooks LT's w/ catted Y. This setup is 1/2 the cost so im gunna chance it.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '99bluez
yea i know thats a downside, but i need the stainless and don't feel like dropping 1300 for kooks LT's w/ catted Y. This setup is 1/2 the cost so im gunna chance it.

I got the XS LT's by SSautochrome and I LOVE them, and I can back it up that my fit was perfect with no problems. the OBX I cant speak for sicne ive never had them.

Heres my thread on them. but to answer your question, the resonators will help with the sound some, but not much as far as smell but to be totally honest with you mine doesnt stink at all, not even on start up...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=headers
Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

thanks - i've read that thread before. But i haven't seen those on ebay in a long time. I know that a guy got some from new batch with a matching Y, and was putting them on his camaro and was having some fitment problems but now i can't find the thread.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

well I can vouch that the jet hot fit for me w/o any problems at all. theyre back on e-bay though, i saw some 2 days ago
Old 05-01-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by '99bluez
thanks - i've read that thread before. But i haven't seen those on ebay in a long time. I know that a guy got some from new batch with a matching Y, and was putting them on his camaro and was having some fitment problems but now i can't find the thread.
yea i think it got deleted because people were violating the non sponsor stuff by posting prices, but i'd also like to hear how the installs went for people with this new batch of xs's with their new y pipe. so if anyone out there has this new setup installed please reply with how the fitment was and the results....WITHOUT posting prices so it wont get deleted. and i'm pretty sure the obx's aren't race headers so you'd still need to get blockoff plates for the egr/air crap.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ripper415
yea i think it got deleted because people were violating the non sponsor stuff by posting prices, but i'd also like to hear how the installs went for people with this new batch of xs's with their new y pipe. so if anyone out there has this new setup installed please reply with how the fitment was and the results....WITHOUT posting prices so it wont get deleted. and i'm pretty sure the obx's aren't race headers so you'd still need to get blockoff plates for the egr/air crap.

the MOCK-UP y pipe fit great, but the production version tucked up a little too good