Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about pacesetter coated headers..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about pacesetter coated headers..

ok here's my problem I'm gonna be on sort of a budget, and was wondering what would last longer, the black painted pacesetters, or the "armour coated" pacesetters? All I need them to last is like a year or so, until I can get a pair of stainless steel long tubes (plan on keeping the car for a good while) the black painted are 275 and the "armour coated" are 375, which ones should I get?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelxx16
ok here's my problem I'm gonna be on sort of a budget, and was wondering what would last longer, the black painted pacesetters, or the "armour coated" pacesetters? All I need them to last is like a year or so, until I can get a pair of stainless steel long tubes (plan on keeping the car for a good while) the black painted are 275 and the "armour coated" are 375, which ones should I get?
Maryland Speed is a sponsor and they sell them cheap,as far as longetivety they jet hot coat'em inside and out(pace only coats them on the outside,and then begin to rust from the inside because of moisture that collects on the collector) plus they are guaranteed for life! cANT BEAT IT IMHO though.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Regular

I would get the coated ones my self. Then again if you only need them for a year it really then depends on where you live and the type of environment they will be exposed to like (salt, snow, lots of rain, do you live near and ocean?) all things that should be considered. If you live in a place where any of these things are common i would get the coated ones.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are planning to get SS ones in a year, bite down and wait, I see no reason to do it 2 times.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Just for the record; heat + oxygen + ferrous metal creates rust. Moisture acts as an electrolyte but is not the major culprit when it comes to rust on the upper exhaust system. It is a fact that iron will rust in the complete absence of moisture as long as there is oxygen and heat. You can check this out by doing an internet search using the words "heat and "rust" together. Also check http://howstuffworks.com for more information if you're not convinced.

As for your question about non coated headers lasting a year until you can replace them with stainless. My answer is yes and if you want to insure them then buy POR-15's POR20 header paint which advertises 1400 degree resistance. One advantage that ceramic coated headers have is they do not radiate heat like uncoated. The ceramic coating is so effective that some claim to be able to lay a hand on the headers 15 minutes after shutdown. Lower under hood temperatures is something to consider if you want more horsepower, even if it is only for one year.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Launching!

I'm going to go with either the jet hot coated inside and out or save for a pair of stainless, new question now, would any of you buy a used pair of SS headers? Also is there any point in getting the used pair coated? Before being put on? Maybe to reduce the heat radiated?,, or should I just save up for the 750-800 new pair?, thanks a lot,

Michael
Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with used parts, as long as they're good, depends on your budget.
FWIW I'd get the SS headers coated no matter if I bought new or used, the coating does help with the heat radiation (dunno about the 15 min thing, I ain't trying it )
Old 04-30-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Go with the ceramic coated headers of course.It is better to pay the extra $ now then later.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the used headers are in good condition, you can't go wrong with having them coated. Functionally they'll be just like new, and they'll look new with the coating. I'm having my stainless headers coated because I figure lower under-hood temps and better scavenging are good things. Some people say it's a waste, but if you've got the money, do it.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Banned

We sell a lot of different headers. The Jet Hot coated Pacesetters are a great value, and come with a lifetime warranty. The headers that Jet Hot themselves make are alse a great value.

You can check our whole header line up here...we also price match-
http://marylandspeed.com/index.php?cPath=49_152
Old 05-02-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be cheap. You will regret it. Get stainless or coated. My TA has stainless headers and my SS has coated pacesetters both are holding up fine and i live 5 blocks from the ocean
Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do, make them stainless if possible. Coated mild headers always have the potential to rust, it only takes one chip or scratch to start the process, then the rust forms under the coating and causes it to peel off.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
If you are planning to get SS ones in a year, bite down and wait, I see no reason to do it 2 times.
+1 for waiting.... or buy a decent set of used SS headers sooner!