Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to attempt motor mount install...wish me luck

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default going to attempt motor mount install...wish me luck

Anyone that has done this before, do I need to remove the starter and the exhaust manifolds? I searched and it seemed like LTs would be more in the way, but I still have factory sized JBA headers. Im going to attempt this this weekend and hopfully I can get it done in 2 days. I know that the alternator needs to be removed, and some say that the AC compressor needs to be moved as well. Im just a little confused and could use any advice you could give me. Thanks,

-Chris
Old 05-04-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes remove the exhaust manifolds... im doing this install right now..

the biggest bitch is getting the 4 bolts that hold the clamshell to the motor broken loose.. the hardest one is the passenger side, bottom rear near the starter...

make sure you have a grinder.. a 3/8 STRONG drill bit, a deep 13mm socket.. a 18mm socket.. and a 18mm wrench, (a 13mm gear wrench will help you A LOT)

the new mounts are a bitch to get back into the clamshells.. i sprayed some WD40 onto inthe inside of the shell.. then hammered the poly mount in as far as it would go.. then use the bolts to bring it in all the way..

my swap is easier because my motor is stripped down to the short block right now.. , so my A/C and Alternator, headers, heads are not in the way..
Old 05-04-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad8266 had a writeup for those of us who DIDNT want to remove the manifolds/headers... I'll see if I can find it.

-J
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Ya your going to need it haha. It's really not that bad just take your time and take breaks when you get frustrated.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Brad8266 had a writeup for those of us who DIDNT want to remove the manifolds/headers... I'll see if I can find it.

-J
I'll be doing it when I get back from the desert. so hopefully u find the writeup for us..
Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

U guys that have done it before... should I attatch the mount to the block first then worry about that larger bolt? Right now the mounts and brackets that hold them are loosened up but I have the large bolt through the mount and the bracket and Im having trouble lining up all 8 holes on the block. Im guessing it would be easier to mount It to the block, then only have to worry about 2 larger bolts.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

mount in to the block first but keep the bolts loose until you get the long bolt through the other side. On mine I had o remove the alternator and the ac compressor. It's alot easier if you have help lining the motor back up and making sure that it doesnt hit the cowl or pull off your p.s. hose.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn Its been 3 days and about 25 hours. would have done it alot faster, but I had to put in/pull out each side 3 times, because the holes wernt lining up. the larger poly mount fit very snug inside the clamshell, and distorted the holes slightly on both mounts. drilled the holes slightly larger to gain some clearance and the passenger side is now done. the drivers side is going to be a bitch too, but I removed the alternator, so that gained me some clearance. My AC compressor was never touched... you can work around it, but its a PITA. the factory manifolds are in too, so thats another reason its not done yet. for those of you thinking of doing this mod, it takes a **** load of patience, trial and error. Im looking forward to my results.

-Chris