Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How efficient is this custom intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How efficient is this custom intake?

I couldn't get a response from the original owner and I'm dying to know how well this works...

I mean, it looks like that would add a helluva lot more air in to the motor on top of what the airbox is already adding. would that be too much? I was thinking of adding a tube from each space under the trans am blinkers next to the foglights leading directly under the airbox like in the pic. the vette's have something similar i've seen with an aftermarket cia.

so, opinions? results? anyone done something similar?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

My opinion on this is mixed. I'd rather you get a WS6 hood and seal it to your intake.

But if you really want to go this route of CAI that's fine too. Under the blinkers is not the best place. The foglights or cutting the middle behind the front firebird plate are the closest to a straight shot to keep air velocity.

I think you would have to cut or remove a few things. The front bumper support, the platic part that helps seal air to the radiator, and the middle piece in the engine bay as seen in the picture.

Hope this helps
Old 05-06-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I think if that one was sealed up better it would be more efficient. I'd just do the WS6 airbox for the cold air intake. I'd use something like that to cool the brakes.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think it would be any better than the slp flowpack wich comes with the under car cold air and smooth bellows....
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That one is not made right. I will try to get pics of mine. My plate fits inside the filter tray.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

here are a few

http://webpages.charter.net/full-force/new_page_6.htm
Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Full-Force
that looks pretty sweet. how much of a noticeable gain did you pick up?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look the engine is only going to suck in as much as it can use... the real question is... this is system helping supply the needed air faster? from the looks of it.. i say yes.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

You have to remove the bumper support to build this. Where the big holes are in the grille I made some ducts that attach to the back of the openings out of fiberglass. I connected the ducts in the lid to the ducts in the bumper with 4" flex tubing.

I removed my a/c at the same time so I lost 35 pounds there. My car went from 7.70 to 7.53 in the 1/8.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you gotta cut away some of the bumper support to do that, its not gonna give you a wad of hp. like the other guy said, a motor only sucks in the air it needs and it can suck plenty in with a sealed airbox and hood
Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

if a motor is sucking in more air than it needs it creates more velocity? won't more air pressure result in more hp in the top end? sorry, try to help a n00b out!

thanks guys
Old 05-06-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

A N/A Engine can only take in as much air as it can use, now if you go adjusting A/F ratios and such then yea you can change that but thats a whole different story. The only reason people make CAI kits is b/c Cold air is better for the engine when it comes to making max. HP. Now with a Forced induction setup like a turbo you can turn the boost up to a billion and force too much air into your engine and blow it, but thats only when you have a turbo or S/C pushin air into your engine, our engines suck air in and its not goin to suck more in then it can use unless you mess with the tune
Old 05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Full-Force]That one is not made right. I will try to get pics of mine. My plate fits inside the filter tray.[/QUOTdo you have a picture of the parts of the bumper support you had to cut? im interested in making one of these this summer with my neighbor and need to know all how much is going to be cut
Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

the SAM race car gained 1mph trap in the quarter from doing an intake similar to that.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

I dont have any track times to show gains on mine, but i remember reading that when one of the first guys did it he added a cage at the same time and he actually went a .1th quicker in the 1/4. So it sounds like it works pretty well.

You also benefit from losing some weight from the front bumper support, but you do have to be more careful since....well, you dont have a front bumper support anymore

And as stated the one in the pic wasnt done right, but the one posted by full force is done right.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

What I see that bothers me is it looks like the ducts bringing air to the radiator were removed. This can't be good. Air comming into the radiaor can now go over it instead of through it.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
What I see that bothers me is it looks like the ducts bringing air to the radiator were removed. This can't be good. Air comming into the radiaor can now go over it instead of through it.
Where the ducts go is closed off from the factory so no air goes through those holes. The bumper support blocks them off.

As far as n/a engines only sucking in as much as they need thats kinda misleading. If you have this system sealed good it will probably pressurize the airlid at high speeds. When the engine is sucking air in the airbox is under a negative pressure but when you put more air in the airbox than the engine can suckin then has a positive pressure which is how boos is measured. Im sure its very small amounts but still usable.