Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another " I just installed my headers" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another " I just installed my headers" thread

Just finished installing my MAC mids last night and wow, its loud. Now here's the "bad" news; instead of my Y-pipe banging the headers hit my steering linkage and lock up my wheel, I can just beat that away correct? 2nd "bad" thing, from about 2k to 3.5k it rasps really really bad and then above that returns to a more normal roar. Only happens under a load, any ideas what I should check out there?

Totally impressed with how smoothly the install went in from the top, I followed the guide http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...=headerinstall for the macs and everything went as planned. Had to snip what held my drivers o2 to make that stretch, other than that it seems like everything is in order. Now I just need to get my air, egr, and rear o2's tuned out of the equation. Thanks for answering my previous questions I had in other threads, they totally helped me out guys!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

the MACs rasp really bad. You can add cats to remove it. Some say bullet mufflers work but I havn't seen that be the case yet. Maybe if you got a really long one.

My headers hit the bolt on the steering column too. At first it sucks when your steering wheel gets hung up for a sec but after a few weeks, the bolt had pushed in the header right there and no longer touched. This definitely isn't the best way to go about fixing the problem though
Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont like the rasp just get cats or big mufflers and it should take care of the problem.... as far as the steering nuckle i would find a better way to take care of the problem
Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to adjust the steering linkage. Unscrew the top bolt (the one by the fuel lines) and try to slide the mid-piece down. This will move the linkage away from the header and point the steering shaft more toward the front wheel.

I've also heard you can unscrew some stuff under the dash to make it point in the correct way, but I've never done it.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Okay, I wasn't sure if the rasp was something that I hadn't tightened up correctly or not being that it sounds unnatural for the rpm range and then return to normal. I'll see if I can adjust the linkage like you said Blur, thanks guys!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Don't feel bad- my Kooks LTs rasp from 4k all the way to redline. I think it sounds bad *** though....
Old 05-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

After driving the highway home and smoking a new GT I kind of enjoy the mean rasp that comes out around 2.5-3k its raw and totally awesome :-D
Old 05-19-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Do you have a sound clip by chance?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

I'll do better than that I'll take some video in a short. If it doesn't start to rain otherwise I'll record it tomorrow. What site can I upload video to, anyone know?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tony Orlando
Don't feel bad- my Kooks LTs rasp from 4k all the way to redline. I think it sounds bad *** though....
I DON' HATE NO RASSP EITHER. ................
Old 05-20-2007, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

I'll do better than that I'll take some video in a short. If it doesn't start to rain otherwise I'll record it tomorrow. What site can I upload video to, anyone know?
Thanks man I think you can host it on photobucket.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Any luck on getting that video?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

I took some video of the car but I didn't like it so I am going to do it over today after work and then host it, the quality came out horrible and it was a wet evening when I recorded so I couldn't really get into it. I'll get some clips of startup movement and inside. My inside noise will sound a little different than yours being that I have the rag top but it shouldn't matter all that much.

I did look at photobuckets hosting and I'll most probably use theirs.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Hopefully it turns out good.