Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Keep or Ditch Modified Setup?
Keep the Modified setup
50.00%
Ditch the current setup and go back with the regular Volant
50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Intake Modification---*POLL*---

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake Modification---*POLL*---

I was talking with some friends about my Volant CAI...

When the hood shuts it seals off the intake, leaving only about a 1 inch gap (along the front edge) for air to get in. We agreed that this doesn't seem good for power but I know volant was just trying to keep the engine's hot air out of the intake. K&N on the other hand took a different approach...

They didn't worry about the hot air coming off engine components. So now the question is which is better. I went ahead and modified my Volant and combined it with my "modded" stock air box to create this...

...Sorry about the fuzzy camera phone pics.

Also keep in mind that my car has the stock Z28 hood.

This is just the work of a bored, broke college student. So let me know what ya'll think, the original volant or the modified volant???

-Neal
Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id keep the volant setup. Jus my .2 cents
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

unfortunately, neither the volant nor the K&N is worth anything over a traditional lid setup on a Z28 or regular T/A. however, on the SS and WS6 models, the volant and K&N become more efficient than a lid setup because there is more surface area for the incoming air from the functional hood to enter. the best setup IMO for a Z28 or T/A is a good lid with the SSRA/FTRA. honestly, even if i had an SS i would still go with the SSRA, simply because the design of the SS hood isint the greatest. but the WS6 hood can be modified to work really well.

my car had the K&N setup on it when i got it. i couldnt see anywhere where it would be superior to even the bone stock setup it came with from the factory. the bottom peice was made out of metal and when i opened the hood after a good drive it was hotter than hell. even the filter was hot, and this was in the winter. i went to a Blackwing lid and FRA lower box. soon i will be getting the SSRA with plugs to plug the scoop when its raining and one to plug the opening in the lower air box when the scoop is open so the only air it gets is through the scoop under the car.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
the best setup IMO for a Z28 or T/A is a good lid with the SSRA/FTRA. honestly, even if i had an SS i would still go with the SSRA, simply because the design of the SS hood isint the greatest. but the WS6 hood can be modified to work really well.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Sell that expensive *** Volant and buy a lid+FTRA. It will work much better with your setup.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even if you were to use that setup you have now to save some money, i would cut the stock air box as they do in the free ram air mod.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cals400ex
even if you were to use that setup you have now to save some money, i would cut the stock air box as they do in the free ram air mod.
it appears you cut away everything but what should be cut away
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it appears you cut away everything but what should be cut away
Well im not sold on the idea of the free ram air mod. Heated air passing by the radiator along with a dirty filter just doesn't sound to good...
Old 05-23-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
Well im not sold on the idea of the free ram air mod. Heated air passing by the radiator along with a dirty filter just doesn't sound to good...

i figure it can't be worse than the heat from the engine bay.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll probably give the free ram air a shot, but I am more concerned right now with the decision to keep the current setup or to go back with the volant. I can always do the FRA with the original volant setup.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Launching!

keep the current sell that expensive terd. IMO
Old 05-23-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok well I gave in and did the FRA. Anybody else have any input?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

dude, the air isint going to be in front of the radiator long enough to heat up. the air filter doesnt get too bad. i let it go 3k miles then i flip it around and go another 3k. i change it every oil change. look into the SSRA or FTRA. your gains with that will be more than you will ever see with the volant or K&N. now if you had a WS6 it would be a different story.

look around you, there is a reason the majority of cars on board here dont have the K&N or Volant.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude, the air isint going to be in front of the radiator long enough to heat up. the air filter doesnt get too bad. i let it go 3k miles then i flip it around and go another 3k. i change it every oil change. look into the SSRA or FTRA. your gains with that will be more than you will ever see with the volant or K&N. now if you had a WS6 it would be a different story.

look around you, there is a reason the majority of cars on board here dont have the K&N or Volant.
I agree, the Volant intake sucks but it isn't any worse than a lid, just more expensive. I dont know why the previous owner installed it. Im sure ill buy a lid sooner or later, I just dont have the extra money right now. As far as the SSRA or the FTRA goes, I just cant see spending 160 on that, I have other things im worried about(LTs and y-pipe). I went ahead and did the FRA, the more i thought about it the more I thought it my be a good idea. Plus I was bored.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

any pics of the fra with the volant filter?
And have you ever thought about removing the air system that runs beneath your driver headlight to the exhaust manifolds?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

just leave it... it's fine the way it is
the hot air isn't going to affect it in any major proportions to worry about it
Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

i got kind of bored and bought a k&n setup.had someone make a cover that sealed to the ws6 hood,which cost me 20 dollars.sealing this cover to the bottom was easy,3/4 inch heater hose zip tied to the bottom of the top radiator support (where it is curved)fit is perfect although a bit low tech.i will try it out in the near future.it is now a real ram air setup with about 50%more filter area than a lid.if it doesent work i can still go back to the lid in about 30 minutes.