Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished changing my plugs and ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just finished changing my plugs and ....

I just wanted to say F*** the #7 plug . The #7 plug (3rd one back on the passenger side) took me just as long as the other 7 plugs combined. My left forearm looks like it's been thru a war by itself. But even with all the aggravation it was worth it to save the money a shop would have charged me to do it. Now that I have my TR-6 plugs in I need to get my car dynoed on the juice. Then I finally be able to get some track times on the juice as well. Oh well...I just wanted to vent my frustration after spending the last 2 and half hours changing the plugs.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Just finished changing my plugs and ....

it always takes alittle bit to change em the first time, u'll get it down
Old 04-28-2003, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All the plugs seemed fairly simple with not alot of trouble except the #7 one. What's the best way to attack that SOB? I tried underneath and over top...just didn't seem very accessible.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Just a fyi, the 3rd plug back on the passenger side is the #6 plug

AJ
Old 04-29-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL....whoops. Well Damnit, let me requote then "F*** the #6 plug "!!!!

lol...sry for the mistake....twas my first time.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Number 8 was a s.o.b. for me. I had to break it loose from the bottom, pull it from the top, install it from the top, and torque it down from the bottom. The rest were a breeze.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Comnbinations of a 5/8" sparkplug wrench, 3/8" ratchet, and regular wrenches is what I used.

I removed/replaced them all from the top. #8 was the real challenge. I think I turned it 1/8 of a turn each time I was able to get a open end wrench on the sparkplug wrench.

Passenger side manifold bolts are a joy too.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a 1" swivel extension. My arms still looked like someone took a potato peeler to them.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Administrator

You said a mouthful there! Don't forget about the #8 coil pack bolt. I threw that bitch as far as I could once it finally came off (after about 2 friggin hours).
Old 04-29-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

You said a mouthful there! Don't forget about the #8 coil pack bolt. I threw that bitch as far as I could once it finally came off (after about 2 friggin hours).
I know just what you're saying!

I was told by the person I bought my car from that it needed new plugs. So figuring I'd get the hardest one out of the way first, I went through the blood donating process of changing #8, and the plug looked perfect! Checked a few of the others and they were mint as well. Live and learn I guess..
Old 04-29-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

no kidding, lol. when i did my cam swap it took me forever just to get that last bolt off. needless to say, that bolt never made it back onto the car
Old 04-29-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Comnbinations of a 5/8" sparkplug wrench, 3/8" ratchet, and regular wrenches is what I used.

I removed/replaced them all from the top. #8 was the real challenge. I think I turned it 1/8 of a turn each time I was able to get a open end wrench on the sparkplug wrench.

The #8 plug seemed pretty easy for me. Since my cats and headers weren't hot I just changed it from underneath the car. Just stuck my arm up right next to the cat and used a socket wrench. The #6 plug was blocked by the headers, so I couldn't get more than 2 fingers on itfrom the bottom. From the top I had to lose a few layers of skin to get my arm back along side the block, but ocne I finally got my arm stuck all the way back there I just cussed my way through it until I had the SOB out. The putting it back in was just as much fun.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a 99 T/A and was wondering about after how many miles do should u change the spark plugs? Also, I would like to also know what kind of spark plugs everyone uses.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i changed mine and it wasnt that bad. my buddy though on his 00 TA, took him like 4 hrs and 5 smoke breaks to do it. i dont know, i guess it just depends on how flexible you are and if you have the right tools.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought a 99 T/A and was wondering about after how many miles do should u change the spark plugs? Also, I would like to also know what kind of spark plugs everyone uses.
I had originally put in the NGK TR-55's (platimum plugs). Then about a month later I bought the NOS 5177 kit. So I had to buy the NGk TR-6's(copper plugs ) and install them in place of the platinum's. If your going to run nitrous, you need the copper plugs because they run cooler. If your going to stay all motor then use the platinum plugs.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

yup, took me 2 1/2 hrs the first time. I used the battery as a knee rest for that #8 plug. I knew I should have taken the coil packs off so it would be easier but I didn't have the deep socket and I also wanted to make it harder on myself , j/k. my left arm looked like it went thru a meat grinder, still have a few scars. oh well, love getting scars like that. makes me feel......like I'm a true mechanic
Old 04-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Most of us run NGK TR55's after mods. I used to run them. I'm now using TR6's (copper) for my nitrous kit. They run cooler and there is no platinum disc on them. Nitrous will eat that disk.
For N/A applications, go with the TR55's. I pulled my stock plugs at 30,000 miles and the gap was blown out horribly.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Most of us run NGK TR55's after mods. I used to run them. I'm now using TR6's (copper) for my nitrous kit. They run cooler and there is no platinum disc on them. Nitrous will eat that disk.
For N/A applications, go with the TR55's. I pulled my stock plugs at 30,000 miles and the gap was blown out horribly.
yeah when i changed my plugs at 57000 the gap was well beyond .75
if u remove the coil packs and your AIR system the plugs should b a breeze
o that and get an air wrench
8 plugs out and 8 back in in just 6.5 minutes
Old 04-30-2003, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

you guys want tough. Try putting valve cover spacers on 98 heads.....Its nearly impossible to get the back valve cover bolt in and it is impossible to get the bolt into the coil packs (At least I think its nearly impossible to get that back bolt in, the guy that did it, may have just tossed that bolt in the woods beside my car )