Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahhhh RASP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ahhhh RASP!

So I did my Pacesetter LT & TSP ory install this weekend. Everything went real smooth except for a little problem with the threads on one of the O2 bungs. Took about 5 hours from start to finish. Didn't have to cut any block tabs or jack up the engine, both sides slipped right up.

So my problem is this dang Loudmouth 2. It sounds sweet at idle, under 2k rpm, and above 4k, but holy hell between 2200-2800 it sounds like shower farts. It pops like a redneck farm truck. So I know I need to get another muffler to weld in. I've head real good things about the Hooker AeroChanber but I don't know if it will fit where the LM2 resonator is? The AC is 10" wide and I don't think I'll have enough room to put it there. I've checked out LS1Sounds and which Dynomax bullet and Magaflow do you guys run?

I need help! This rasp cuts into my brains!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TORK?
it sounds like shower farts.
Please clarify. Got any sound clips?

But seriously, you can do a bullet in the I-pipe to cut down on some rasp, or throw some cats on your Y-pipe. The Borla XR-1 is a popular choice I believe for a bullet in the I.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

borla mouth!!!!!!

???

thats what im getting with my long tubes and TR cam
Old 05-29-2007, 02:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TORK?

but holy hell between 2200-2800 it sounds like shower farts. It pops like a redneck farm truck.
ANYONE asking how a LM will sound with LTs theres your answer right there!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to put a 3" spintech on mine!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I ordered a Magnaflow bullet to put in the resonator's place. Hopefully it should clean up the sound a bit. Was feeling a little frisky so I got a cutout too! If all else fails I'll just ditch the LM all together and get a new catback system. I really liked the sound of the LM before the headers.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

my magnaflow on lm
start up http://media.putfile.com/magnamouth-and-231237-cam

around car http://media.putfile.com/dansredz28

untuned 1st dyno run http://media.putfile.com/TSP-231237-untuned-dyno-run

I got mine clamped on the y-pipe and added the pipe on the back side! i got more ground clearence that way
Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny you posted because when I searched I saw a clip you posted before and that's what made up my mind. I got the same one you said you had. 14419 I think was the part #. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

But if I put the muffler at the beginning of the I-pipe I would have to get 2 cutouts and put them in the Y right? I think I'm going to put the cutout at the start of the I then the muffler right behind that.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

with this free flowing catback you will make less power and torq! Your just wasting money IT's loud at WOT about as loud a a open cutout with a cleaner sound!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

this my video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBDNx57xZvU
Old 05-29-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

HAHAHAHA..... you described my car to a T!! I always said the same thing, my car sounded like some beat up farm truck from the 80's. I have QTP LT's, TSP ORY and I had a LM catback, not sure if it was a 1 or 2. My car was the same way, around 2200-2800k it sounded like **** but ****, I loved the way it sounded at idle and startup, cruising was fine too until I had to pass someone then it was like I was making popcorn or something. WOT sounded decent too. I've been told that my car was herd from over two miles away. Thankfully a buddie gave me an old cat back he had. I have no idea which one it is but its a SLP set up except it has a muffler. My car sounds real good now. Not as loud but you can still hear my cam and its kind of nice not being so loud. When leaving for work in the morning or coming home late was a chore. My wife would always know what time I got home cause the garage would freakin vibrate...lol. Im thinking about getting a single cut out and mounting near the axle area. I used to have a twin cut out set up...the one QTP sales, but my car is pretty low and I would hit the cut outs on driveways and ****, got annoying. Just something to think about if you plan to do the cut outs like you mentioned.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

i just finished installing lt's on my car with a corsa exhaust. i decided to put a dynomax bullet in the i pipe and i think it sounds amazing. i was running around on stock manifolds with nothing after the y pipe for months, so to me the exhaust almost sounds stock from the inside.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shower Farts...that'd be one friggin hilarious Forum user name!

People around where I am run LTs to LM2s to a catback setup, one of my buddies I think is running a dynomax, with the loudmouth then making the system "Dynomouth" no rasp and the dynomax makes it sound like thunderous booms...AWESOME setup!
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wowsers
i just finished installing lt's on my car with a corsa exhaust. i decided to put a dynomax bullet in the i pipe and i think it sounds amazing. i was running around on stock manifolds with nothing after the y pipe for months, so to me the exhaust almost sounds stock from the inside.
So you have a Dynomax bullet AND the muffler that comes with the Corsa?

Originally Posted by 99WS7
Im thinking about getting a single cut out and mounting near the axle area. I used to have a twin cut out set up...the one QTP sales, but my car is pretty low and I would hit the cut outs on driveways and ****, got annoying. Just something to think about if you plan to do the cut outs like you mentioned.
Well I only ordered 1 cutout. I had just mentioned having to use 2 of them if you put the muffler at the front of the I-pipe. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a cutout be pointless behind a muffler?

If you are going to put a cutout near the axle I'm guessing your muffler is tucked up by the gastank?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaro_best
That sounds like there's an angry dinosaur in there trying to get out! My LM sounds really good and mean like that when free revving in park. Its just at certain rpm's under load when it sounds like Enough to make me change.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Borla XR1 that I used in my LM days. Its a little chewed up on the inlet and outlet, and theres a dent in it, but other that that it sounded great! I need to go take pics of that and some other stuff, like my LM, and my TSP catted Y. Let me know if you're interested. All this stuff will go for pretty cheap.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wowsers
Good choice, that's exactly what I did on mine, the bullet cleaned up the rasp quite nicely for me.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will sound that way just from these 2 things alone.
1. Aluminum block causing resonance.
2. Firing order of the LS1 (1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3)

Those 2 things will give it that "blatty" sound. Quick fix for that and low tq is a BBC.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

put some hi flow cats on there... you're not gaining a significant amount w/o them.