Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jet-hot headers ~ feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default jet-hot headers ~ feedback please

well i've been talking w/ chris @ jet-hot co. i'm looking to buy thier headers for my 2000 z-28. i've heard good & bad things about these headers like any other product. after talking w/ chris he says they changed the design a little so the fitment would not hit and their on the sixth batch and he said no problems stated. before i purchase please share your expeirences or thoughts. they are running a sale in two weeks $511.00 shipped ~ coated headers for an ls1. thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: jet-hot headers ~ feedback please

I got a set of Jet hot headers that were from the VERY first batch. I have no problems what soever with hitting the Kmember. Some people had a few issues, however jet hot has changed the design alil to stop that supposedly. Over all i am very happy with the headers, i have good clearance and the fit, finish, and quality is great. Only problem i have is that my Y pipe bangs because the collectors are tucked up so high.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Teching In

I just got my jet hot headers installed on my 2000 SS and they fit perfectly. I was also concerned about the fitment issues and expressed my concerns to Chris @ JetHot when ordering. He acknowleged the problem and ensured me that they had made some changes and fixed the issue. I've very please with the headers and the installation couldn't be easier.

...now the y-pipe (hooker off-road) is a different story. I had a lot of problems trying to get it fit up properly. Most of this was an installer problem (me). Just take your time and get everything lined up properly. It comes very close to the floor on the drivers side (which I've fixed with heater hose). However, the biggest pain in the *** was getting it to mate up with my cat-back. Also, just throw the clamps supplied with the y-pipe in the trash, I would be curious to hear from anyone who is running these without exhaust leaks. I broke all three of them trying to fix leaks. I am just about to go install the stainless steel clamps I ordered from Thunder Racing...we'll see if that fixes my problems.

Matt
Old 04-30-2003, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

I got mine in February..I think..anyway..I have had no problems whatsoever with mine. Love em.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

I also had one of the first batch and my driver side does rub on the k-member. I'm going to put it up on a lift and do some tweaking to free some room.

Overall, I'm very happy with the headers. Don't have any hard numbers, but the car sure feels stronger.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

No problems here.I got the one's without EGR and AIR tubes.And they fit graet!!
Like Matt00SS said, the Hooker y-pipe clamps suck!!!! I've got mine about as tight as I can get them without them breaking,any tighter and i'm afraid they will break.

I bought 3 slip fit 3" band clamps from summit to fix my leaks.And they work awsome!
Here's the part # if anyone wants it. wlk-33272
Old 05-01-2003, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am ver happy with my Jet-Hot LT's. My K-member dod not have to be modified at all, never touched it. I also have about an inch of space between my primaries and heater core. Some people's were very close to touching. Overall, very impressed.

P.S. Slick, time to change the sig buddy. That's my X-pipe now.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Get what you pay for...I had to bend the driver side collector/primaries down with a jack handle and me standing on a 2x6 like a diving board....went fine but was kinda concerned about breaking a bolt off....and my heater core is now melted where the pass side primary was touching the heater core...I guess I now have a built-in air freshener when I turn the fans on.... I have no k-member problem...
Btw, I used a Muffler Sealant from Car Quest on my Hooker ORP...worked great...no leaks. It cures pretty fast like an epoxy cement, so have everything ready to put in place.
I am not sure I would purchase these headers again...the "pain in the ***" factor was not worth the savings of not getting a "TRIED & TRUE" option available.
Good Luck w/ your decision.
Oh yeah, I supposedly got the "revised" batch....
Old 05-01-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well,thanks for the info guys, it will help me make my decision. i agree & disagree with you get what you pay for! sometimes this is so but i dont go by it, but majority seems like there descent headers. thank for all opinion, i'm still a little weary yet on either hooker lt's or jet-hot lt's. i understand they just about the same but its still a tough decision to make
Old 05-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Launching!

I just installed mine (got a set w/o AIR&EGR about 2 weeks ago). Good fit. No problems at all. Don't forget to purchase 3 3" band clamps from Thunder Racing (www.thunderracing.com). They are a little pricey at $10/each but are very much work the cost! Awesome product.

-Kris
Old 05-01-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest just getting the Hooker LT's. The jet hots are the same design but i've heard/seen many more probs. with them over my hookers. I installed my hooker's in my driveway on my back by myself and have absolutley no banging or other probs either from the headers or ORY. I just need tuning now cause i'm running pig rich!! At our last dyno day my average a/f ratio was 11.6 and was as low as 11.1
Old 05-02-2003, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

I just got mine about a month ago and they fit perfectly. There is no rubbing at all. The only thing that rubs now, is the Y-Pipe, which i accidentally bent going over a huge speed bump.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i got my y-pipe it looks nice for the price but, i will have to cut it apart in order to fit my bullets in there for no rasp. anyway the clamps are junk ~ cheap flimsy piece of you know what. anyway i ordered my band clamps from speed inc.