Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noobie ?? on headers and muffle shops in fl

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noobie ?? on headers and muffle shops in fl

I've got some noobie questions on exhaust setups and muffler shops in Florida. I just got a 98 SS with the M6. The only mods done by the previous owner was the resistor fix to bypass skip shift and some type of cat back that gave it dual exhaust after the single muffler. I'd like to install long tube headers but I'm not sure about what to do regarding the y-pipe. Do I get a catted one or off-road one? Will a Florida muffler shop weld up an off-road y-pipe or do true dual exhaust? I think I'm mechanically inclined enough to install the headers but I have no welding tools or pipe bending tools. Advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:12 AM

try Florida Performance and ask for Rob
Old 05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Launching!

What part of Florida are you in. Some shops will do it, some wont. There are plenty that will. Jusk ask around in your area.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Teching In

I'm in the Titusville area. It is about 30 miles south of Daytona and 30 mile east of Orlando.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Launching!

If Florida has Emissions Inspections you'll want to get a catted y-pipe. If they don't and your not worried about emissions just get the off road y-pipe. As for the question about the type of exhaust setup. The f-bodies have a y-pipe that goes into the intermediate pipe, from there it goes over the axle into the muffler. It splits back into dual tips from there. Most plain exhaust shops won't do any type of exhaust that didn't come on the car, so they'll probally only install an exhaust with the intermediate pipe.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not worried about a crazy amount of loudness from your exhaust or some strong fumes go with an off-road y-pipe (no cats)... but if those are issues for you get the cats...

I love crazy loud, but i'm still gonna go with cats on mine, just so i'll be able to actually hold a conversation in my car, and it'll still sound plenty mean with longtubes on it...

Random Tech cats are pretty highly rated, but pricey...
Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Another noob to question to help me understand things better. I just looked under the car wihtout jacking it up. It looks there is only 1 cat on the passenger side and none on the drivers side. Just a sort of squashed section of pipe. Is this normal?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Uh if I remember right and correct me if I'm wrong there is a cat on the driver side. It's right after the collector on the header. It's up to high from the bottom of the car to see in plain view. You may be able to see it from the engine compartment.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Thecorrectformula is correct. The drivers side cat is up higher. You have to get underneath to see it. Yes the squashed Y pipe is normal unfortunately. As for emmisions I know some parts of Florida do the sniffer test. In my neck of the woods they don't do **** and i love it.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheSecretFormula
Thecorrectformula is correct. The drivers side cat is up higher. You have to get underneath to see it. Yes the squashed Y pipe is normal unfortunately. As for emmisions I know some parts of Florida do the sniffer test. In my neck of the woods they don't do **** and i love it.
Nope, no emissions tests in FL for quite a few years. ORY is fine (I don't think it's terribly loud, and the gas smell you sometimes get is no big deal).

+1 for the driver's side cat and the squashed y. I got an ORY custom fabbed (though I'm sure you can get one on your side, so I won't bother recommending the place), and may end up squishing mine a little when I eventually lower it. You may just want to buy an ORY. Most of them really aren't bad, and offer decent ground clearance.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No, I think there is only one cat on the bottom because it is a 98. I have a 98 SS also, and when I went to my true duals, I had everything from the manifolds back taken off and when the stock y-pipe came out there was only the one cat that he's talking about. I think on the newer ones(00-02) had the cats on the down pipe. I live in Fl and a local muffler shop did my entire custom setup and took off the cats, you shouldnt have a problem with that.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98redSS
No, I think there is only one cat on the bottom because it is a 98. I have a 98 SS also, and when I went to my true duals, I had everything from the manifolds back taken off and when the stock y-pipe came out there was only the one cat that he's talking about. I think on the newer ones(00-02) had the cats on the down pipe. I live in Fl and a local muffler shop did my entire custom setup and took off the cats, you shouldnt have a problem with that.

98's have two cats just like every other year.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheSecretFormula
98's have two cats just like every other year.
Thats not true, the stock y-pipe that came off of my car only has one cat on the passenger side, and that flat piping on the driver side for clearance. I had everything replaced and that was the only cat on my car, which was completely stock at the time.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

do longtubes with ory to match, and catback of choice...

it's easy
Old 06-04-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by banditb1999
I'm in the Titusville area. It is about 30 miles south of Daytona and 30 mile east of Orlando.
Try Mike Norris. He is local to you and I've had good dealings with him.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Not true with my car. I have a 98 formula that has two cat's and i'm not talking about the flat spot that's for clearance. Everyone knows where the cat on the passenger side is right? well on the driver side its alomost right after the collector on mine and its stock.
Its not the same shape as the passenger side, its stubbier than on the passenger side. You can see it from the engine compartment.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thecorrectformula
Not true with my car. I have a 98 formula that has two cat's and i'm not talking about the flat spot that's for clearance. Everyone knows where the cat on the passenger side is right? well on the driver side its alomost right after the collector on mine and its stock.
Its not the same shape as the passenger side, its stubbier than on the passenger side. You can see it from the engine compartment.
Yeah, thats exactly how I thought they were. Its wierd because my buddy has a 98 Z28 with both cats, and the driver side is farther up just like you said and I thought thats how they all were, but there was not one on my car, it only had the single cat on the passenger side. Im not to sure why it was like that.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Not really sure why that may be unless it just depends where the vehicle origanally came from and whether that state is strict on their emmisions laws or not. But I could be wrong.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, im not sure either, but oh well, whether it was one or two, I was still having them chopped off anyway.