Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noone said there were TWO bolts!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Noone said there were TWO bolts!?!

Well i decided to finally do the !AIR mod today, and i got to the part where you remove the 15mm bolt from the back of the driver side cylinder head. What i didn't realize was there were two 15mm bolts one with a ground wire and one holding the bracket. SO after about an hour of trying to get this God forsaken bolt, I finally got it off and it wasn't the right one and to top it off...it was so close to the firewall i could get it back in. I took the correct one out and put the ground back into that hole and have my fingers crossed that its fine. sorry for the vent, it just took me 2+ hours messing with those dang bolts on the back of the head, and i have the knuckles to prove it...

Make sure to remove the CORRECT 15mm bolt!!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've removed the AIR from my car...don't recall any bolts on the back of the block.

there is the pump inside the fender, and the hoses that run around the cowl...and then the bolts on the headers/manifolds.

am i missing something?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by teke184

i've removed the AIR from my car...don't recall any bolts on the back of the block.

there is the pump inside the fender, and the hoses that run around the cowl...and then the bolts on the headers/manifolds.

am i missing something?
there is a module on the driver side valve cover that can be removed and there is a little L bracket bolted on the back of the driver side head that is used to hold part of the pump system.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

MUCH cheaper to do this on your own! I was having headers installed at a board sponsor decided to tell them to remove the system. They charged me $80!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just left the bracket. i grabbed the valve or whatever and pulled up till it came off. when i pull the engine ill take the bracket off then.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sroach20
i just left the bracket. i grabbed the valve or whatever and pulled up till it came off. when i pull the engine ill take the bracket off then.
Yup I did the same.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

I know exactly what your talking about with that one bolt in back. I did the exact same thing this evening, luckily I figured out soon enough that the first bolt was the ground wire. The 2nd one with the bracket was still a pain though. I'm still trying to get the AIR pump itself out but ill need to remove the wheel up there to get enough room I think.

With how hard is it to work under that hood, im debating to change my fuel rails and coil pack relocation now just to make it easier to get around.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ashes
I'm still trying to get the AIR pump itself out but ill need to remove the wheel up there to get enough room I think.
just open the little trap door you use to change the turn signal lamp. my car is slammed and i did it with the tire on and i didnt even raise the vehicle.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

I did that, I was able to find 2 of the bolts with the trap door. I hate those bolts that hold that plastic together. Tomorrow I will do some more searching for the last 2 bolts and it should fall right out. Then I can finally start taking out the old exhaust.

Have anybody else ever thought of sprayin down the engine bay with simple green or something to clean it up a bit? ...or maybe it's just mine that looks pretty bad.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

i think it was three bolts.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

One of the AIR pump bolts is accesible from the engine bay, not under the car.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

I know exactly what your talking about with that one bolt in back. I did the exact same thing this evening, luckily I figured out soon enough that the first bolt was the ground wire. The 2nd one with the bracket was still a pain though. I'm still trying to get the AIR pump itself out but ill need to remove the wheel up there to get enough room I think.

With how hard is it to work under that hood, im debating to change my fuel rails and coil pack relocation now just to make it easier to get around.
I'm glad to hear someone actually knows what I'm talking about! I had somewhere to be so I HAD to finish! No problems as of yet with moving the ground wire, but i assumed it would be fine since it was still on the head. Wish you would have seen this before you did the same thing though
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can't remember exactly, but I'm guessing you removed the bracket back there too. I didn't mess with it until I did the H/C.

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
MUCH cheaper to do this on your own! I was having headers installed at a board sponsor decided to tell them to remove the system. They charged me $80!!!
That's only a little over 1 hour of labor charges at most shops.

Last edited by WILWAXU; 06-01-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

yea i took the whole bracket off and everything..it was a b*tch, but i figured if i was going to do it i mine aswell finish and do it right
Old 06-01-2007, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

omg, finally got that air crap off today. I started on taking the bolt out of the stock exhaust. I have yet to 'not' break any bolt under that car they are all so rusted out. I wish I could get more room under but I fear that I am about to hit a deadend in my header install. I just dont have anything to raise the car up any more then wheel ramps. Am a alone in this or does this get easier at all?

Removing the O2's.... how in the heck to you get to the front O2 sensors to take them out?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

omg, finally got that air crap off today. I started on taking the bolt out of the stock exhaust. I have yet to 'not' break any bolt under that car they are all so rusted out. I wish I could get more room under but I fear that I am about to hit a deadend in my header install. I just dont have anything to raise the car up any more then wheel ramps. Am a alone in this or does this get easier at all?

Removing the O2's.... how in the heck to you get to the front O2 sensors to take them out?
pb blaster is your friend for all bolts. spray it on and go chill out for awhile. when you come back youll think you got stronger.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

its amasing at how much removing that usseless junk cleans up the engine bay
Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

As far as header install, you gotta get teh front of that car WAY up in the air. I had to raise mine up as far as my jack would go, which is 22 inches of saddle height, and jacked teh car up by the k memeber. This was JUST enough room to get the headers in there, ramps wont even come close. Also, I dropped the manifold down , then took the O2 sensor out of it, while I had someone hole it from up top, then dropped it out of the car.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Ok, update, I got all the old exhaust finally off tonight. Lots o rust but at least thats finally off. Headers will go in tomorrow, what kind of angle do the headers go in anyway? From what it looks, you have the outlet almost pointing down and then straighten them out when you get them up to thier new home.

For lifting, ive been just using a floor jack to get it high enough. I just have jack stands and the wheel ramps positioned as a precaution.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
Dino and Kyle at RevX didn't charge me any additional (and they gave me a great price on the header install ). I had already removed the bracket on the intake, back when I used to run FRCs.

IIRC, it took Kyle about 35 min to remove the tubing and the pump (about 25 min on the pump).

It's really straight-forward, though there's a lot of bolts on the underside cover. Unfortunately, I'll have to remove those at some point when I fix my driver's side fog light, and I won't have the convenience of a lift.

For installing the headers, you'll want to get the car as high as possible. I'd also recommend test fitting the O2 sensor before installing the headers. On my passenger side Pacesetter, the top thread was non-existant, and since they didn't have a tap in the right size, Kyle had to take the header off and grind the bung down a bit so they could install the O2.