Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump prob

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump prob

I think I have figured out what is wrong with my car from reading some old threads. I have a lifter tapping really loud when the car gets warm. I just did a ms4 install with a new ls6 unported pump. My oil pressure with the new pump goes from 40 psi at start up (lifter is quiet at start up) to 5-10 psi at idle when warm (lifter is noisey, and car miss fires). I figure I have a pinched o-ring. So the question is....is it possible to get to the oil pump pick up tube without pulling the front of the motor off? Can i lower the pan with the front cover still on and still get to it? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a question does you're car make the ticking sound only while driving?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Default Oring?

A pinched o-ring would probably have low oil pressure at all times,
what type of lifters,how many miles,cam size & rockers(adjustable or stock)
Seems like more than an oring on the oil pump.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

no it ticks constantly when it gets warm.

stock ls1 lifters, ms4 cam, harland sharp rockers non-adjustable, motor has 101,000 miles

The tick is clearly in the valvetrain, It is pretty loud and the oil pressure just doesn't seem right. I read another thread where the guy has the exact same prob. so that is what I figure it is, however any help would be appreciated. Can you get to the oil pump pick up tube without taking the front of the motor off?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

spryin'99ss
To answer your question on disassembly.... Yes you can get to the Pickup tube without taking the front engine cover off and the balancer/pulley. But the next question would be, can you get the Oil Pan off without lifting the engine ? K-Member would be in your way.
You would need to have at lease 6-9" of clearance between the Pan and the K-Member for the pan to drop down and clear the pickup tube in order to remove the pan. You might have to take the Trans X-Member out to let the engine swing clear as you use a engine host to lift the engine enough, You might have to disconnect must of the lines (fuel, vacuum, etc) and wiring harness. Seem like a PITA to be doing all of that as many have don't it by just removing the front cover of the engine (but that is also a PITA).
Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think I need to completely pull the pan, I just need to get to the pick up tube to replace the o-ring. What I can't remember is if the front cover hangs too low. I think I may be able to undo the motor mounts and jack the motor up a inch or two, but I dont know if I will have enough room to get to it?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

cam bearings....may have damaged one during cam install...a pinched oring would cause low oil pressure at all times..when the cam bearings go you lose pressure up top which causes lifters to bleed off and tick...just my 0.02*
Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

up top meaning high in the rpm or high in the motor? Doesn't really explain the 5 psi of oil pressure at idle when warm and 40 when cold???
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, here is the kicker, stock k member pan out no way, tube k-member it has been done., the other thing I am trying to remember, is that I thought the pick up tube bolt was almost clear of the pan, making it more in the front cover than in the pan. I have this pic of my swap, I made it huge so you can get a good look. I think it might be front cover time.

http://www.clanocdelta.com/z28/camin...tedoilpump.jpg
Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, actually I am messed up here, the front cover acctually mounts to the front of the oil pan, so you technically should be able to reach it. Ps if you drop the pan, the gasket is rivited on so you got to get it out of the car completely to replace the gasket.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well I guess I need to stop being lazy and just take the front of the motor a part AGAIN!! I was hoping there was an easier way, but it is a stock Kmember and I just don't know if I will be able to squeeze enough room, thanks for the help but if anyone else has any tricks please post up!