Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car runs like ass after header install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car runs like *** after header install

I've been working on my car for what seems like a month now trying to get it right. I put on the pacesetters with ory and it doesn't run the way it should. It backfired like a gunshot when I shifted from redline. I put all new plugs in tonight because I thought maybe I cracked one but it didn't really seem to make a difference. When I put my o2s on I only had to extend one? The thought just crossed my mind that maybe I plugged my drivers side into the wrong outlet? Are you suppose to extend both or just the passenger's side? I haven't looked yet cause its a pain in the *** to get it in the air being lowered with a body kit. So hopefully I just didn't install that one o2 right, I can imagine it would run like crap if I didn't put back in the right spot. Thanks for the future help.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Also are the o2's designed individually for one spot because I couldn't get one out of the manifold so I used the 3rd one that was back further on the exhuast.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you get o2 sims? your going to need those unless you get the rear o2s tuned out.. and yes you need extensions for both sides.. u should know witch connectors are the front 02 ones because they wont reach without the extensions.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Launching!

No I didn't get the sims but I'm going to have it tuned out anyways so the ses light is on right now which doesn't bother me because I just had it inspected. So I'm guessing I plugged the o2 into the wrong outlet? I guess I just missed it with the lack of light.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
No I didn't get the sims but I'm going to have it tuned out anyways so the ses light is on right now which doesn't bother me because I just had it inspected. So I'm guessing I plugged the o2 into the wrong outlet? I guess I just missed it with the lack of light.
its not gunna run rite until you get them tuned out, and the extensions hooked up in the proper spot on both sides.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Launching!

hmmm ok, I didn't realize the rear o2s had any effect on performance. I'm sure once I get the front o2 in the right spot it will make quite a difference, I hope!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stangkiller2005
its not gunna run rite until you get them tuned out
The only purpose of the rear O2 sensors is to monitor the cats to see whether or not they are functioning properly. They have no affect on performance at all.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
The only purpose of the rear O2 sensors is to monitor the cats to see whether or not they are functioning properly. They have no affect on performance at all.
thats not true it will put it into a safty mode so you dont burn up your CATS (like any cares for them any ways)

also the rear o2 are not the same a the fronts

so once you get the 2 front o2's right you should be straight
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

It would definitely matter, if your front O2 is in the back and the back O2 is in the front then they are going to the wrong ports on the PCM. When it sees the data that it "thinks" is the rear and should have been scrubbed by the cats but is still rich it will alter fueling to get it back inline with emissions. Vice versa, when it sees the data that it thinks is the front and it's been through the cat already... you see what I mean.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

It will still not run right if he doesn't have sims or have them tuned out and just has them unplugged.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

If you want to save a buck, skip the sims. Leave both of the rears installed and tune them out/delete the codes. I don't really see the point of sims.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

you definatley have the driverside plugged in to the rear port. The conncetion you want is attached to the k member slightly under the alternator or close to it, if your pluged by the tranny some where, that is your issue. Again the rear o2's moniter cats as said, while it slightly affects running with out a tune or stims, it is so slight you would not notice, nor would anyone else, after the car relearns the trims. Tune it and save 80 bucks on the stims.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Default well said

the rear o2s are not gonna affect performance in any way....
yes both sensors need extensions...

get your car tuned that is your problem.....

i had to get a tune after bolt ons my car was lean as helll....
get it tuned
Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your O2 sensors are hooked up wrong. the front and rear O2's are completely different parts. the rear O2's are emissions tattletales and are basically useless. i'm willing to bet what you have is a rear O2 plugged in a front port. that'll cause your car to run light crap and get horrible mileage. it has nothing to do with the tune (although a tune WILL help a lot).
Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

yes it can be the tune....but if he has plugged the sensors up backwards id really hope he keeps that to himself ...lol

my car was one of those that came from the factory lean....after din full bolt ons intake tb lts ory blah blah blah...it had to be tuned...
from what ive read on this forum some do and some dont...
Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
yes it can be the tune....but if he has plugged the sensors up backwards id really hope he keeps that to himself ...lol

my car was one of those that came from the factory lean....after din full bolt ons intake tb lts ory blah blah blah...it had to be tuned...
lol no need to bust my *****, it was just a dumb mistake. I just screwed the o2 into the collector and hooked it to what I thought was the right spot at the time. Going to fix it now and see how it runs. I'll keep in touch.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either way back fires with ORY and LTs are normal. i even got my car tuned and it does it. now you have a problem if it back fires while you are giving it gas....but anyways, i installed kooks 1 7/8 race headers and noticed no problems...maybe a little loss in low end tq but what i lost in low end i gained in top end and im all about the highway pulls...i also took out my air pump and had one 02 sim on and the other one got smashed and no check engine light and now problems...then again every ls1 is different so ???
Old 06-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1

i STRONGLY doubt it's the tune. headers make you run rich, yes, but you shouldn't be backfiring left and right and running like total crap. you should retain stock-like driveability with a decrease in fuel economy and maybe slightly more rasp due to running rich and dumping fuel into the exhaust. yes, you can see some backfiring due to this, but it shouldn't be too severe. i used to backfire with just a catback and the stock tune at WOT. it sounded like someone would shoot my muffler with a bb gun. after my FTRA, it went away since it leaned me out a bit.

anyway, plugging O2's wrong happens quite frequently on this site. people take all 4 O2's off and they toss them in a pile. they don't know that the rear O2's are totally different than the fronts, so they just put them on randomly. as odds have it, most people wind up putting one front O2 and one rear O2 in the front and one of each in the back, causing a big loss in fuel economy, running pig rich, a rough idle, backfiring, you name it.

i'd bet dollars to donuts he did this.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Launching!

okay so now I still can't get my front o2 out of the stock manifold. I heated it up with a torch, put a big wrench on it and even hit it with a hammer, its seized on there. Any tips or should I just go buy a new one?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99RebelZ28
okay so now I still can't get my front o2 out of the stock manifold. I heated it up with a torch, put a big wrench on it and even hit it with a hammer, its seized on there. Any tips or should I just go buy a new one?
If you did all that to it, you probably broke it. Go buy a new one.