Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmmg questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gmmg questions

whats the best solution to rasp when running gmmg w/ory

cat or muffler in the i-pipe? just want opinions, I need a louder exhaust tone the magnaflow is just too tame.

thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I threw a bullet muffler into my ORP and it went away...
Old 09-01-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was giving it a lot of thought myself...

semi cheap method is buying a $50 short Power Stick from EAD performance, trimming the Y on the necked down half, as well as the intermediate a good chunk, and just having it welded in (though I believe they're slip fit so you can do one welded side, one clamped if you prefer) ... slightly more expensive at about $115 I had also considered tossing a stainless high flow cat into that same area (doing the same as far as cutting down the Y and Intermediate and sticking it on in there)

just depends on what you're capable of or want to pay for really...
I'm ok with the rasp I have for the time being mainly because my current Y isn't a permanent setup, and am waiting to just more or less fab my own Y ... after I get my own Y done, then I'll see how bad the rasp remains.

Two problems with this though...
One, the power packs or power sticks are not stainless, this may deter some who want a fully stainless exhaust
Two, the way I want to do my Y pipe, one piece is not stainless, I'm still on the fence about this particular item, and it's a pre-made piece and not easily fabricated for the most part.

I like a multi-clamped Y pipe, ease of taking things apart, but may cause unnecessary turbulence in the end.

my vote is at the moment, a single small stainless cat at the end of the Y where it meets the Intermediate, but, I like stainless. It'll also cut down on that raw smell vs. using a bullet or a muffler, and shouldn't choke it down much at all since it's a single high flowing cat where the flow tends to be greater... hell it may even help pass an emissions check regardless of it's location (some people would pass it around here)

the XS ORY isn't the greatest, but it works, my biggest complaint about it is I've got a small exhaust leak on my GMMG Y/Intermediate connection currently, because both pieces are a little too long at the ends, and it pushed my GMMG out a bit more and I couldn't get it to seal up completely at that connection.

I'll probably be keeping the ORY and just cutting off and adding what I need to it, just because I honestly like the way it tucks up more than most, I just hate, with a passion, the Y merge on it
Old 09-01-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm curious to see what people advise on this. i'll soon be hooking my gmmg up to ARH lt's and an ORY. i'm hoping that the quality of the merge on the y pipe may help some but i'll have to wait and see. i do know that putting a cat on isn't an option. will definitely be some type of bullet or chambered stick into the i pipe...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I've just been through all this. I took off my GMMG and put a Hooker on it and the Hooker was just too quiet.

I now have the GMMG back on, a 2.5" Y with Carsound cats, a Flowmaster merge, and a Powerpack in the I. I didn't like hacking up my stainless GMMG I-pipe, but I like rasp even less. Even with all this, there is still some rasp. It sounds pretty good overall; the rasp is at a tolerable level.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not that hard fellas..

Go get a 14" or 17" bullet muffler, weld it in just after the Y.. Your rasp will go away immediately..
Old 09-01-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A CUSTOM Y PIPE WILL HELP WITH ALOT OF RASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to find some links
Old 09-02-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went from a magnaflow to a gmmg on my car. the sound is better for sure in my opinion. there is definatly more rumble to it. i do have LT's and a TSP catted Y-pipe as well. i do not notice the rasp on my car. maybe it is because i have cats or maybe it is because i drive the car and can't hear it from the inside. i actually wish i would have went with true duals. i would be willing to sell my gmmg and catted y-pipes if i wouldn't get screwed on shipping it all. it would weigh a ton and the box would be very large. the gmmg system is only a 2 piece system so it is pretty big.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a catted Y-pipe. Zero rasp with my Kooks LT and Kooks Catted Y. Bullet in the I pipe *may* work, but I have no first hand experience with that. My buddy put a Borla XR-1 in his I-pipe to quiet down his LoudMouth and it did the trick I suppose.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tram
It's not that hard fellas..

Go get a 14" or 17" bullet muffler, weld it in just after the Y.. Your rasp will go away immediately..
Any suggestions on what kind?? Bc im havin this problem as well...
Old 09-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Launching!

custom y-pipe, bullet, or cats is what I know.

I have ran a catless oryp and that was hella raspy especially around 25XX rpms, threw on some cheap cartech cats and it sounded 100x better.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran a 17" bullet right after the Y and the rasp went adios..
Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFAS4U
whats the best solution to rasp when running gmmg w/ory

cat or muffler in the i-pipe? just want opinions, I need a louder exhaust tone the magnaflow is just too tame.

thanks
You want the exhaust louder cause Magniflow is too quiet, yet you wanna quiet down a GMMG with cats or another muffler?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

A bullet muffler after the Y will not quiet the GMMG down..
Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 PM
Pontiacerator

I'm tellin' ya ... I'm runnin' cats and a Medium Powerpack from EAD with my LT's and my GMMG sounds really nice now ...
Old 09-10-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I'm running Hooker LT's with custom orp with a bullet and then the GMMG..

If I had $15 every time someone told me they liked the way it sounded, it could have paid for half of it easily..
Old 09-10-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I'm tellin' ya ... I'm runnin' cats and a Medium Powerpack from EAD with my LT's and my GMMG sounds really nice now ...
my problem with that though is hacking up the intermediate and putting in a non-stainless component ... granted, that is my only problem... now if I were doing it, I'd save the stock intermediate and have a custom intermediate done with the chamber done into it so it remains a one piece to mate to the Y... but thats my personal opinion.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Anybody with Cats+Powerpack+GMMG have any sound videos?
I have the Powerpack sitting in the garage, but I'm afraid I might not like it with my GMMG.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
my problem with that though is hacking up the intermediate and putting in a non-stainless component ... granted, that is my only problem... now if I were doing it, I'd save the stock intermediate and have a custom intermediate done with the chamber done into it so it remains a one piece to mate to the Y... but thats my personal opinion.
I know ... I didn't want to do it either, but the difference was driving around frustrated with how my car sounds or driving around being pleased with it. If I couldn't tame the rasp, then I was going to get rid of my GMMG anyway.

A custom I pipe is a good idea, but using the original meant fitment over the axle would remain perfect.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by BlueSLPCamaro
Anybody with Cats+Powerpack+GMMG have any sound videos? I have the Powerpack sitting in the garage, but I'm afraid I might not like it with my GMMG.
Don't have a vid, but the effect of the Powerpack is to quiet it slightly, and to soften it. It removes the harsh edge from the resonance, killing most of the rasp. But there is not a dramatic difference in the sound.