Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Throttle Body Spacers...Are they worth the $?
YES
8.33%
NO
91.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle Body Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Spacers?

I have a stock (for now) '00 Camaro SS. For $93, I am considering buying a Throttle Body Spacer. Do they have a positive effect or negative.

Wanted Induction mods:
SLP lid
SLP MAF
Ported throttle body
LS6 Intake

Thanks for your opinions,
Brad
Old 09-06-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Ditch the spacer and the MAF, waste of money.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

I Agree Maf And Spacer Would Both Be Wastes Of Money!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

tb spacers look nice, my buddy's got one on his SS, as for performance gains, no dice.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a SLP MAF. No complaints here.

I'd definitely ditch the spacer though.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

now if there were some nozzles in the spacer...
Old 09-06-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 00SS!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00SS!
You damn right....couldn't have said it any better
Old 09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see everyone saying "ditch the spacer" but does anyone have any proof as to say why there are no gains? Or is everyone just going by word of mouth and following what they've "heard"...

I've got a throttle body spacer with a helix/corkscrew design on the inside of it that I purchased for about $90 about 4 years ago and I noticed a nice low end pull right away after installation... The corkscrew design is meant to help atomize the air better... gain claims of up to 10+hp...

Now i'm not saying I got 10+ out of it, but I will say I absolutely noticed more low end pull after the install... I wouldn't be so quick to say certain parts on these cars don't help any as it seems that most members on here don't branch out to much and go with the first result they hear...

I don't want to start any flamining, or pissing contest out of this opinion of mine but I just wish that there were more results of proof that people have instead of just saying "so and so, heard that this guys, brothers, uncles, cousins car didn't get any gains from it..."

here's a picture of it....

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

well for $93, u could save that money and put it in headers, intake, or a new tb. i think $93 to put a piece of metal between the tb and the intake is definitely a waste of money. save that money and put it into something else that has been proven to produce power and results.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:04 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I should delete this thread before someone gets ripped off.
Everyone is always worried about smoothing out the airflow, so this generally makes zero sense to those people I am sure. Maybe that money would be better spent for a port job on the stock TB? That is just my thoughts though....what do I know.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I see everyone saying "ditch the spacer" but does anyone have any proof as to say why there are no gains? Or is everyone just going by word of mouth and following what they've "heard"...

I've got a throttle body spacer with a helix/corkscrew design on the inside of it that I purchased for about $90 about 4 years ago and I noticed a nice low end pull right away after installation... The corkscrew design is meant to help atomize the air better... gain claims of up to 10+hp...

Now i'm not saying I got 10+ out of it, but I will say I absolutely noticed more low end pull after the install... I wouldn't be so quick to say certain parts on these cars don't help any as it seems that most members on here don't branch out to much and go with the first result they hear...
Not to be a douche, but that is what the box says on those things! Are you sure you weren't justifying the mod by paying 60% more attention to how your car was performing? How is the air moving into a spiral behind the throttle body "atomizing"? These would be a more probable mod on possibly a carbureted motor, but a fuel injection setup would most likely be less....what is the word.

....uh...I don't know.

However you would be better off to mix into a carb than into fuel injection. Seems that Atomization would actually become beneficial in that case. Just not on the injected cars. People that know carburetors know what I am trying to get at I am sure.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 09-08-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

^^ 10-4!!

If you just look in the intake (beyond the TB), it would become obvious that the "spiral flow" would never make it to each fuel nozzle (legitimizing the claimed atomizing effect). IF air AND fuel entered from a central location (as in carburated type intake manifolds), then it would be definitely a benefit. The whole purpose and design of direct port fuel nozzles is they atomize (break-up fuel into a mist = "spray") upon delivery. The finer the mist, the more efficient the burn.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by junior28570
^^ 10-4!!

If you just look in the intake (beyond the TB), it would become obvious that the "spiral flow" would never make it to each fuel nozzle (legitimizing the claimed atomizing effect). IF air AND fuel entered from a central location (as in carburated type intake manifolds), then it would be definitely a benefit. The whole purpose and design of direct port fuel nozzles is they atomize (break-up fuel into a mist = "spray") upon delivery. The finer the mist, the more efficient the burn.
That was what I was getting at. A more violent flowing of air will distort the fine spray into more of a stream realistically. That is why most people generally feel that smooth airflow is the better choice. I for one follow this...if you couldn't tell.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:16 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Hooray for efficiency using stock parts!
Just curious who else said yes other than Soul TKR? Lets hear your case.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

No question, you're right! I just fingured I would try my hand and explaining the concept (in Laymans terms) behind the whole air plenum (intake)/fuel spray nozzle .... multi port/direct port injection thing

Hopefully this thread will get folks to consider the theory and application on our intake/fuel nozzle set-up and put this spiral TB spacer thing to rest once and for all.

Myth Busters have a term for this .. "Busted"
Old 09-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Best way to really prove/disprove the spacer's claimed gain is to have before/after dyno runs.

Atomization has to occur after fuel is introduced into the intake airflow, so that really only works on applications where the spacer is behind the fuel introduction system, such as a carburetor or throttle body w/integrated sprayers. Since LS engines' injectors are not located there, the atomization claim is false. Now, if the helical cut on the spacer does create a change in airflow, and that change is a positive one, then don't worry about the atomization portion and just enjoy the results of a slight increase in HP.

Also, on Gen 1 SBC engines, a spacer can be used to move the torque curve around, which is critical when tuning for a particular track or application. I would be interested to see if anyone has performed any dyno tuning with the LS spacers to see if the same effect is realized.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a sponsor on this board who was into spacers originally. They made several different applications. The only ones that improved anything were ones for carb'd cars and throttle body injected vehicles like the C/K series GM trucks and the Dodge Magnum 360's and 318's.

They do NOT do anything for a LS-based engine. A spacer was tested on an '01 SS... it lost power on the dyno. That was the end of TB spacers for fuel injected vehicles with that company.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree dyno's would be very helpful here...

I see there's no point to me arguing here, as I'm well outnumbered

But what can I say, I told everyone I did feel an increase in low end power but have nothing in ink to back up my claim, so all I have to fall back on is my opinion, and whether or not you believe it is up to you. But just thought I'd throw it out there anyways as one of the very "few" that have this mod on their car...
Old 09-08-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take your $90.. Subtract $75 out of that.. Take that $75 and your stock TB and send it to Bo White..

and well.. send me the other $15...

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacers?