Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PCV valve

My PCV valve is shot. Do I need the original piece? Are all the PCV valves the same?

Right now I have no PCV valve and I have a direct connection between the intake manifold and the engine. Is that a problem?

Thanks - Stefano
Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get one at any auto supple store for around $3-4 bucks. It is a problem having no pcv. Get one asap.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Over here we don't have any auto supply store for US-cars
I'll have to order it from somewhere.
How long can I drive without the PCV system?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

GM Part # 12572717
You can order it at gmpartsdirect.com
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a better quality valve than the factory one? Or does anyone know of the valves operating specs for an alternate?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

you can order the ls6 one from ws6store.com- sponsor here- for a couple of bucks. It is a direct replacement, and is a new and better design.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureWS6
GM Part # 12572717
You can order it at gmpartsdirect.com
...I'm in Europe...

let me see if they ship tuff over here.
Normally not
Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without a PCV Valve, your T/B will be sucking oil into the intake, You can use a Catch Can in it's place for now or have them both line with the catch can before the PCV valve.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Or, you could ditch the OEM oil fill cap, and replace it with a screw-in valve cover breather. At the rear of your engine, behind the intake, you'll find the OEM balance pipe connecting the valve covers. Following the balance pipe as it comes from the driver's side valve cover, to the passenger's side valve cover, you'll find a one-into-two "Y"; i.e., one line out of the driver's side valve cover, becomes two. Cut off and plug the top line at the "Y", and remove the line that went from the "Y", to the intake manifold, behind the TB. Then remove the line that ran between the TB and passenger valve cover. You'll have to cap off the openings in the intake manifold & TB, or you'll have pretty nasty vacuum leaks. Your crankcase will now be vented, and you should have no problems sucking oil into your intake.

I should mention that GM changed the design of the passenger side valve cover. Instead of provisions for two lines, replacement valve covers have only one. I don't when they did this, or why.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
Or, you could ditch the OEM oil fill cap, and replace it with a screw-in valve cover breather. At the rear of your engine, behind the intake, you'll find the OEM balance pipe connecting the valve covers. Following the balance pipe as it comes from the driver's side valve cover, to the passenger's side valve cover, you'll find a one-into-two "Y"; i.e., one line out of the driver's side valve cover, becomes two. Cut off and plug the top line at the "Y", and remove the line that went from the "Y", to the intake manifold, behind the TB. Then remove the line that ran between the TB and passenger valve cover. You'll have to cap off the openings in the intake manifold & TB, or you'll have pretty nasty vacuum leaks. Your crankcase will now be vented, and you should have no problems sucking oil into your intake.

I should mention that GM changed the design of the passenger side valve cover. Instead of provisions for two lines, replacement valve covers have only one. I don't when they did this, or why.
is this a temoprary solution or is it OK to eliminate the PCV system and let the engine brathe by itself?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
Without a PCV Valve, your T/B will be sucking oil into the intake, You can use a Catch Can in it's place for now or have them both line with the catch can before the PCV valve.
This is the actual setup, right now only the PCV valve is missing. Otherwise it's in the stoch location.

It's a good thing to have the checkvalve! Or the blower would pressurize the block...

Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

The new PCV valve is only a restriction, right?
No springs, no parts inside, just a plate with a calibrate orifice?

Who knows the diameter of the orifice?
In my case it's easier to install a drilled plate in my existing system than replace the PCV valve.

I saw this picture and I would say the orifice diameter is 2 mm (about 0.08").
Am I right?
Attached Thumbnails PCV valve-pcv_-valve-gm-12572717-2-mm-dia.jpg  

Last edited by tici; 09-11-2007 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: PCV valve