Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Pacesetters???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Pacesetters???

I am going to purchase some Pacesetter headers.Is the installation within the scope of a very novice modder in the driveway with a basic set of tools or would I be better off farming it out to a pro? Do I need any special tools or equipment.Will the headers hook up directly to the factory Y-pipe or do I have to go after market.I have been unable to find anything along the line of IntallUniversity with detailed instructions.
Thanks for any advice
Old 06-04-2003, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Installing Pacesetters???

You should be able to do this. It's really not that bad once you get into it. Basic tools and patience is all that's required. If you took it to a shop to get the install done, I'm sure you wouldn't like the dollar figure that you would be given.

Your stock Y-pipe won't work with those headers.
When you're doing the install be very careful not to break the temperature sending unit on the drivers side head. It's very easy to do and you might not even know you did it until you're done and ready to crank it up.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can do it. I changed my cam and heads in my back yard with no experience what-so-ever. Well, the experience I had was on this site LOL!
Old 06-04-2003, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm....basic set of tools? Don't know about that...when I put mine in I used ALOT of tools... ...... I would say yes its possible but more time consuming. As long tube header installs go, these would have to be among the easiest I think.

How easily do you get pissed off? Do you have something else to drive while your car is out of commission? Do you have a few bucks to buy another tool here and there? Are you patient? Whats the most difficult install you've done to date?
Old 06-04-2003, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

I have to agree with everything Dave says.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm....basic set of tools? Don't know about that...when I put mine in I used ALOT of tools... ...... I would say yes its possible but more time consuming. As long tube header installs go, these would have to be among the easiest I think.

How easily do you get pissed off? Do you have something else to drive while your car is out of commission? Do you have a few bucks to buy another tool here and there? Are you patient? Whats the most difficult install you've done to date?

I would have to agree with 99ZEOD, basic tools it is... All you really need to do this is:

1. Something to raise the car up.
2. Something to secure it when it is up.
3. A basic Metric Tool kit (Sockets, wrenches and extensions)
4. A torque wrench.
5. Spark Plug Socket
6. A Hammer and a block of wood (If the old stuff is stubborn)

That is all you really need.. I have done many, many sets of headers and I have never had to use a "Special" tool. I think I have done them right as the cars have run very well without any use of these "Special" tools...

I am going to be installing my Pacesetters tomorrow w/ their y-pipe...... .I will post up any differences I have found as compared to the others I have done (MAC, FLP, TTS, TPIS, Dynatech, BBK and Hooker)

George

ps/ Jay, Fock you and your Damn sensor........
Old 06-04-2003, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

My Pacesetter where easier to install as far as not removing pieces such as starter or grinding pieces off the block or K-Member. All I had to remove was the steering linkage and the old headers. It was a basic install nothing special. You may need to clean out your O2 sensor holes with a dremel if they are welded on offset at all.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Thank for all the advice guys. I think I'll give it a try but first I'll wait to hear from 99taws6 and see how he made out.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did not get the y-pipe until yesterday late.. They are going on the car today....

Order you some 3" band clamps to put them together... I spent allday trying to find some local... 3 stores = 3 clamps....
Old 06-05-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dyno numbers, we want dyno numbers.