Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Valve, Oil Consumption, Help me my head is spinning!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Valve, Oil Consumption, Help me my head is spinning!

OK I Have Searched and read countless threads, and I'm looking for a clear cut answer. My Car looses oil, I don't see it burn off, and it's not leaking and it's not in my coolant but, it is leaving me. Mostly after i have been racing.

(1)Do I remove the PCV or (2)Go Catchcan?

(1)
1.With removal of the PCV How often will I have to change my oil?
2.WIll the removal of the PCV cause me to loose HP by not having the correct pressure?
3. WIll the removal of my PCV result in increased wear on my engine?

(2)
1. WIll the catchcan really solve my problem? I've read mixed results

Honestly I would just remove it, but lots of people say no and lots say yes, I change my oil every 3Kmi but i only put about 3Kmi on it per year, so in reality i only change my oil once a year. would the catchcan be a better option for me?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem but when i switched to a ported fast intake and tb. My local shop suggested that they block everything off and run a valvecover breather. So now I don't get any oil in my intake at all and so far so good. No oil has been used up noticeably. I hope that helps
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May I ask what brand of oil you're using? I'm going to guess you either use Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 10W-30. Both of those oils are easily consumed by the LS1, and are actually a poor choice as shown by the average used oil analysis done with those oils.

Before you do anything to your car, simply try switching oils. For example, try Made In Germany Castrol Syntec 0W-30. Most oil analyses show that it's the best oil for our engine, and usually slows if not completely stops oil consumption. I barely consume any oil with GC 0W-30 (less than 1 quart in 5,000 miles, which isn't a lot for an LS1). Mobil 1 sometimes gets burnt up to a quart per 1,000 miles (Mobil 1 ain't what it used to be by any means).

Try the easy things first. GM sells a redesigned PCV valve that has been shown to lessen oil consumption, also. Switch to GC 0W-30 oil and update your PCV valve and let us know if the consumption slows.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
May I ask what brand of oil you're using? I'm going to guess you either use Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 10W-30. Both of those oils are easily consumed by the LS1, and are actually a poor choice as shown by the average used oil analysis done with those oils.

Before you do anything to your car, simply try switching oils. For example, try Made In Germany Castrol Syntec 0W-30. Most oil analyses show that it's the best oil for our engine, and usually slows if not completely stops oil consumption. I barely consume any oil with GC 0W-30 (less than 1 quart in 5,000 miles, which isn't a lot for an LS1). Mobil 1 sometimes gets burnt up to a quart per 1,000 miles (Mobil 1 ain't what it used to be by any means).

Try the easy things first. GM sells a redesigned PCV valve that has been shown to lessen oil consumption, also. Switch to GC 0W-30 oil and update your PCV valve and let us know if the consumption slows.
I don't think it's the oil itself, when i changed out my PCV yesterday to a new one from the auto parts store i turned it upside down and oil fell outlol looked in the lines and there was more, lol I'ma try a Lowes Catchcan, if it doesn't work I'll seek other alternatives.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a difference between german castrol and regular castrol. if there is, where can i get this german stuff??
Old 09-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SS101

is there a difference between german castrol and regular castrol. if there is, where can i get this german stuff??
Yes. USA made German Castrol is not a full synthetic, even though they market it to be. It's a highly refined Group III made out of base crude. This is illegal in Germany - you can only call an oil a true synthetic if it is a Group IV or higher oil. That's why the MADE IN GERMANY Castrol Syntec is a TRUE synthetic - they can't use the same loophole they can in the USA.

The German Castrol Syntec is a higher quality oil. It's also significantly thicker and shows better wear numbers. You can get it at ANY Autozone - even if they don't have it in stock - you can always order a few cases at the counter.

You can also get it at WS6store for $40/case plus shipping.
Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS
I don't think it's the oil itself, when i changed out my PCV yesterday to a new one from the auto parts store i turned it upside down and oil fell outlol looked in the lines and there was more, lol I'ma try a Lowes Catchcan, if it doesn't work I'll seek other alternatives.
I would still recommend you follow my advice. Change to the updated PCV valve and use GC 0W-30. I bet this problem will lessen, if not completely go away. Do the easy things first before you decide to remove the whole PCV system or spend a lot of time and money on a catchcan setup.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I do use GC, but my oil usage was still about 2000 mi per quart. Not that bad, but when I switched to an LS6 intake I was surprised to see how much oil was in my old one.

A catch can with the revised PCV valve between it and the intake has cut my oil consumption almost 50%.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a GC 5W30 or 10W30?
Old 09-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Is there a GC 5W30 or 10W30?
You can only get them at BMW dealerships AFAIK. You won't find them at any stores. Evenso, Patman has said 0W-30 exceeds them both.

There's no point to running a 5W-30 and a 10W-30 anyway if there's a 0W-30 available. 0W-30 provides the same protection as a 5W-30 or 10W-30 once warmed up, and protects better at startup.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I decided to install a Lowes Catchcan w/ a new PCV for now, and this Mod is def worth the $$$,(cost me about $28 after Tax) I got a Air Compressor Air Filter from Lowes, walked over to the plumbing dept and got the correct threaded 1/4(threads) - 3/8(Barb) barbs to go on each end, and then went to the auto parts store to get 2 feet of 3/8 emissions hose, and went home and put it in, One end of the 3/8 hose on the PCV and one end on the Intake Manifold, Looks sweet I'll have to take some pictures!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Launching!

here are the pics of my home made catch can!

http://www.lsall.com/forums/showthre...180#post331180

and it's already got a few drops of oil in it!

Quick Reply: PCV Valve, Oil Consumption, Help me my head is spinning!